Am I Going Down? -- Flight safety calculator

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by Nijo, Jan 3, 2015.

1. Nijo

Nijo Well-Known Member

A little side-project: I've just released a 'fear of flying' app to the iPhone appstore: http://appstore.com/amigoingdown

Yes, the timing is terrible - that wasn't deliberate. The app allows you to rank airlines and aircraft by historical safety records, and to calculate the overall risk of any given flight. I've removed AirAsia from the list of airlines, for now.

Anybody fancy downloading it?

[​IMG]

2. pluto6

pluto6 Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2009
    Military
    The problem here is that the safety records are so high (accident rate so low) it is sort of like judging your bank on the number of mistakes it makes on people's checking accounts. At some level the risk is too small to make decisions that actually mean anything.

The likelihood of the app having a false positive is going to be substantial due to the extremely low prevalence of an actual event.

3. Nijo

Nijo Well-Known Member

#3 Nijo, Jan 21, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2015
    To some degree you're correct, though I also believe that there's a fair amount of correlation in the stats. That is: it's not purely a spin of the roulette wheel, but there are underlying factors (be it engineering quality, pilot training, whatever) that cause a certain consistency in safety records.

Nijo