Am I crazy? Ipod touch 2g 32G issues

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by writingsama, Apr 2, 2009.

1. writingsama

writingsama Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2008
    #1 writingsama, Apr 2, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2009
    OK so I have an iPod touch 2g 16gb that I love, a replacement for a iPod touch 1g 16gb that fell in the pisser.

So my mom wanted one, and I ended up just paying $100 and getting the 32gig ipod touch for myself and giving her mine, since it was practically brand new.

On the first 32G, the screen was noticeably pink. Especially when held next to the older ipod, but even without that, a supposedly gray-shaded slider in the options panel would be PINK compared to the white just above it.

It also had stinking horrible battery life. couldn't even make it through a 2 hour movie w/ no wifi, etc. on.

OK, so I go to Best Buy and convince them to replace it for me. I get home, restore, rearrange all my icons...well, the colors are nice, things seem better...but wait what's this....

oh, it's the BACKLIGHT FLICKERING VISIBLE TO MY NAKED EYE. even with the brightness turned all the way up. and, when things move fast, they look as if they are interlaced video played back on your computer - alternating rows are "out of sync."

a very bad-looking and obvious example is in Up There, the string of the balloon. or when scrolling the options, the 1-pixel-tall seperators flicker very much. if you have TV out to a normal TV, browse a webpage with it. scroll around. you get that effect in Safari on my new ipod.

when looked at closely, the pixels on a still scene seem to "crawl" or "jitter" a little, independent of the backlight.

it's VERY distracting and ugly. esp. next to my old 16gig (only like a month older, from walmart no less) which is pristine and pretty and stuff. It seems to effect all applications and games. is this a common problem or am I just unlucky? Should I consider myself "lucky" if I can live with it? the backlight flicker (not even on a low setting) combined with looking like interlaced output on a progressive display, is what you get for paying $400 nowadays? or should I take it back again? sigh...

wtf is up?

edit: strangely, it appears better-behaved when actually watching a video. no, a hard reset didn't help. it's not jailbroken. also, it does it at any backlight setting. and the bottom half gets REALLY WARM. ???

edit 2: I took video a camera. you can actually SEE the interlaced effect very clearly, and very clearly NOT see it on the other one. here are frame grabs.

Attached Files:

2. IAmAlive

IAmAlive Well-Known Member

Mar 2, 2009
    Intern.
    Austin, TX.
    I would take it back, if Best Buy refuses to do anything about it, try taking it to the Apple store.

I once bought a 1G iPod touch at Circuit City, it ended up going crazy and wouldn't function properly. I took it to the Apple store and they literally gave me a brand new one free of charge.

That could have been a lucky coincidence, but hey, you could try.

3. yourofl10

yourofl10 Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2008
    #3 yourofl10, Apr 2, 2009
    Simple sultion:

Always buy from Apple Online or at a Apple Storen with a extanded warranty:D:cool::rolleyes:

Problem Solved

4. writingsama

writingsama Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2008
    #4 writingsama, Apr 2, 2009
    so then I get out my 50D, 1/400th of a second shutter speed.

see if you can guess which image cutout is from which iPod...look at the calender icon for a good comparison. (note this looks REALLY BAD in real life)

are they all like this? the 32's? or have I just been unlucky? wtf am I paying $400 for? they need better QC

Attached Files:

5. bow

bow Active Member

Dec 11, 2008
    #5 bow, Apr 2, 2009
    You should actually buy from costco
    They had a super long warrenty with not paying more money
    AND their iPods are 10$ cheaper than the apple store prices!!

Check it out

Also you should take new pictures
    The ones you have both look bad

6. IAmAlive

IAmAlive Well-Known Member

Mar 2, 2009
    Intern.
    Austin, TX.
    Yeah, that would get VERY annoying. Seriously, try to exchange it again. I've never seen this problem on any 32gb iTouch.

7. fabbroc

fabbroc New Member

May 7, 2009
    I currently have an 8 gig iPod touch 2nd gen. I have the same interlacing problem. This will be the second exchange; the first time for an extremly clicky and sometimes unresponsive home button. Very annoying

8. touchme

touchme Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2008
    Bay Area
    Buy in costco? Will it come in 3 packs?! ;)

9. brewstermax

brewstermax Well-Known Member

Why bump old threads?