Universal Alto's Odyssey (By Snowman)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by nyanpass, Feb 21, 2018.

1. Ostermi

Ostermi Member

Apr 1, 2010
    Yeah but it is not free and I would like to play one first but dont know which one :)

2. James Blakely

James Blakely Member

Feb 21, 2018
    Unfortunately, Apple has removed support for adding friends on Game Center in the new iOS. Such a shame...

3. James Blakely

James Blakely Member

Feb 21, 2018
    I've got both, I've read the developers aimed to create the two titles to sit alongside each other on equal footing. Odyssey seems to have more to explore but Adventure has a feeling all of its own. So I guess its really up to you - do you like snowy mountain ranges or expansive deserts more?

4. W8rd3

W8rd3 Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2017
    Human paper weight
    In a human dwelling
    I wondered about level choice too and if you would have a chance later on to choose where to ride at

5. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Had a quick go. Decent but seems much the same so far. Don’t blame them as I don’t think they should have gone drastically different. But so far not much difference. Still worth picking up though

6. James Blakely

James Blakely Member

Feb 21, 2018
    Once you reach a certain level there's something waiting for you in the workshop that will help point you in the right direction

7. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Get the first one. You’ll like it plus it’s very cheap. If you still want to check watch some YouTube videos about it

8. KeKhan

KeKhan Well-Known Member

May 28, 2012
    #28 KeKhan, Feb 21, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2018
    As others have mentioned, the differences open up slowly over time.
    There's a lot more "verticality " in this one.

Once you unlock your sandboard it gets really cool.
    Between wall riding, bouncing on balloons and getting tossed into the air by sandstorms, there is a ton of new ways to pull off tricks.
    Chaining wall riding tricks together is very satisfying.

On top of that, a lot of little details are different. I won't give any away.

Bottom line is, yes the first 15-20 mins of the game might seem like just a desert reskin of the first one, but it really opens up more later on.
    The procedural weather system also seems a lot more dynamic this time around.

Oh yeah, and waterfalls and amazing locations like temples with vines to grind. Etc.

The different biomes don't just look different either, they each hide different mechanics. Like vines don't behave the same way as ropes, etc. you'll see #

9. idaveharris

idaveharris Well-Known Member

Feb 13, 2013
    So I’ve done some more research on the matter of adding friends. It seems the developer needs to add a ‘add friend’ option. It’s a shame there are no other ways as I’d like to see my friends in leaderboard. Any ideas?

10. ramzarules

ramzarules Well-Known Member

Sep 13, 2014
    Greece
    i saw some gameplay on youtube, and i wonder if i am the only one who liked the snowy landscape of the first game much more.. now i am conflicted, will probably wait for more info on the unlockables.

11. WilliamG

WilliamG Well-Known Member

May 11, 2010
    Great game.

But if the devs are reading this, please give us an option to remove the always-there Home bar on iPhone X. It’s SO distracting. Not as bad as Alto’s Journey which still hasn’t been patched to remove the solid WHITE Home bar, but it’s still majorly distracting.

12. Jaydevil

Jaydevil New Member

Feb 6, 2012
    FedEx
    New Orleans, Louisiana
    MFI support is included and working in case anyone was wondering. Now you can view the beautiful scenery without a finger in the way.

13. WilliamG

WilliamG Well-Known Member

May 11, 2010
    Fyi, there seems to be an issue with this game on the Apple TV 4K. For some reason, this game has frame rate issues in 1080p or 4K SDR. In 1080p or 4K HDR, it has no frame rate issues. Very odd!

This is directly connected to my LG C7 OLED.

14. redribbon

redribbon Well-Known Member

Jun 11, 2010
    entepreanur,programmer
    its just got even more beautiful and immersive than the first one. the sandboarding system is already make it more exciting to play and im still wondering what's more to come on the next level.

15. sugimulm

sugimulm Well-Known Member

I was looking at this game and thought, eh same old formula, but after watching RedRibbon’s video, it just blew me away. Yeah, looks the same, plays the same, but it does it so beautifully. It be basically the same, but the attention to details is simply amazing. Thank you Double R for the video, sold me and buying now.

16. dragon4ever

dragon4ever Well-Known Member

Apr 19, 2009
    How is the 3D touch used in this game? I see an option in the settings to turn this feature on.

17. xDiamond

xDiamond Member

Oct 12, 2015
    This feels like the best infinite runner ever made so far.

18. drunk_vader

drunk_vader Active Member

Feb 23, 2015
    Barista
    Winnipeg, MB, Canada
    I was wondering the same.

19. GiHubb

GiHubb Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Apr 27, 2010
    CEO
    This looks like are-skin of the original with a few added features (balloon hopping, rock grinding) and not much more. Considering the original played very similarly to Ski Safari with nicer graphics, can't say I'm excited. Also, aren't we done with infinite runners by now??

20. W8rd3

W8rd3 Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2017
    Human paper weight
    In a human dwelling
    I think the whole "it's similar" thing is kinda stupid. I mean it's basically a sequel so if you wanted something vastly different then adventure I'm not quite sure why you would get Odyssey in the first place...as has already been said by several people, the similarity melts away after playing longer then a few mins...
    But I digress, no sense in finding logic where there isn't any, and people are always going to argue opinions.
    I personally think the game is fantastic, and I just found out that you can get an item that allows you to choose which biome you ride in so, that makes me even more happy with Odyssey.

great work devs!