Alto's Adventure

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by altosadventure, Apr 24, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Montanx

Montanx Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2012
    San Diego
    So this is a reskinned Ski Safari? I mean that game was good so its a good thing to be like.

2. piratejack1187

piratejack1187 New Member

Feb 12, 2015
    game looks pretty good :) I'm gonna wait ^^

p/s: fix links please, i'm too lazy to copy your links =.=

3. Alan-C

Alan-C Well-Known Member

Jun 7, 2014
    Developer
    I love the concept art! Congrats, looks very nice.

4. Andy C83

Andy C83 Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2010
    Over the Rainbow
    Read the blog post that was posted, good stuff! Not seeing any reasons not to support these guys.

5. rapaleeman

rapaleeman Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2013
    Game looks rad actually. As a THPS fan myself, this looks a lot like Shaun Palmer Snowboarding for the GameBoy color just with significantly better visuals. It was basically the THPS of snowboarding considering it was made by the same folks and controlled almost identically so that is a complement.

As long as the gameplay complements the absolutely gorgeous visuals then I'm totally down for this. The trailer was great and while I typically prefer my Post-Rock without vocals (a la Explosions in the Sky or This Will Destroy You) the track fit pretty well with the aesthetics.

Got my 2 bucks primed and ready go next week. First game I'm actually buying in quite a long time.

6. altosadventure

altosadventure Well-Known Member

#46 altosadventure, Feb 12, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2015
    @Montanx The game is somewhat similar to Ski Safari in some aspects, but it feels way different (not saying anything bad about Ski Safari, but our physics are totally different, and we have different gameplay mechanics, even though we share some).

@piratejack1187

@Alan-C Thanks :)

@Andy C83

@rapaleeman Thanks! We definitely drew a bunch of inspiration from THPS (picked up an old PS2 and THPS 2 and 3 during development to get back into the "zone". Explosions in the Sky and This Will Destroy You are awesome (just actually saw TWDY in Toronto a few months, they were wicked live!). If you're into that sort of thing and haven't already gotten deep into M83, worth checking them out. M83's "Outro" just may be the world's most epic song :p

Thought I'd chime in with a little more info too:

For anyone wondering, the song in the trailer is called "Kolniður" by Jónsi. It's not the music we're using during gameplay (for that we had a song specifically composed for the game).

Price: $1.99 (no ads or IAPs)
    Platforms: iOS (Universal app for iPhone + iPad)
    Availability: Thursday, February 19th, 2015
    Languages: English, French, Italian, German, and Spanish (more to follow)

Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/altosadventure
    Facebook: http://facebook.com/altosadventure

Why we made this game: http://blog.builtbysnowman.com/post/110724465837/altos-adventure-is-launching-on-february-19th

If anyone has any other questions I'd be glad to help answer them!

Ryan

7. Montanx

Montanx Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2012
    San Diego
    Well for a game this pretty, 2 bucks is an insta buy no brainer really. I don't even like runners but to support a devoted dev it's well worth it.

8. redribbon

redribbon Well-Known Member

Jun 11, 2010
    entepreanur,programmer
    amazing and stunning artwork man. cant wait to play this beauty on my 5.5" next week.

9. altosadventure

@Montanx Thanks for the love!

@redribbon Glad you're looking forward to it. The game looks great on the 6 Plus, and is even better if you play with a nice pair of headphones :)

10. Onemoreshot

Onemoreshot Member

Jul 15, 2011
    Looks like a fantastic game! How large is the app's file size?

11. altosadventure

@Onemoreshot Interesting question lol. It's 61.88 MB to be precise :)

12. Onemoreshot

Onemoreshot Member

Jul 15, 2011
    Thanks, not bad for an app with lots of stunning visuals!

13. altosadventure

@Onemoreshot It was a quite a bit of work to get the size down. Initially it was ~140 MB, so lots of optimizing :)

14. djstout

djstout Well-Known Member

Jul 21, 2011
    Sportscaster & football (soccer) coach
    Taiwan & Japan
    An instant buy! Looks amazing!

15. curtisrshideler

curtisrshideler Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Jul 30, 2011
    Male
    Video Producer/Editor
    Texas
    Really looking forward to this! Can't wait to buy it. Will it support iOS 7 by any chance?

16. #56 AppUnwrapper, Feb 16, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2015
    I'm so torn on this because the game looks absolutely gorgeous, but I usually don't enjoy runners. Is there something different here besides the gorgeous graphics that would appeal to those of us who are not normally runner fans?

Edit: Ah, just noticed it's only $2, so I'll probably pick it up anyway just to check out the visuals. :)

17. altosadventure

@curtisrshideler - Yes, the game does support iOS 7

@AppUnwrapper - We hope there will be plenty to enjoy for both fans AND skeptics of endless runners. For us, it was about capturing a certain ‘feeling’ - the kind of flow and serenity of boarding down a mountain that we felt was missing from similar games. Other runners generally gave us a feeling of anxiety or frustration and that’s not what snowboarding should be about.

Ultimately, the ‘endless' aspect actually proved to be a great fit - you can choose to chase a high score or unlock goals, but we also want players to be able to tune out the stats and numbers if they wish and just enjoy the raw experience of being alone in an never ending wilderness, riding through forests and towns, leaping from rails to rooftop :)

18. Thanks for clarifying! Now I'm actually really curious. I do want to like it, as it looks like a piece of art.

19. altosadventure

@AppUnwrapper

Glad to hear :)

20. Guise

Guise Well-Known Member

Jul 10, 2009
    Really looking forward to this. Looks to be the Sword and Sworcery/Monument Valley of endless runners (snowboarders).