Universal Alphabear: Word Puzzle Game (by Spry Fox, LLC)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Eli, Jun 17, 2015.

1. Jerutix

Jerutix Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2009
    Male
    Ministry
    Oklahoma
    Perfect! That list was exactly why I just came to the forum. I started playing al launch, then lost interest and deleted the game. Something made me think of it last week, and I redownloaded it and ended up buying infinite honey this time. Wanting to see if I'm maximizing the bears I've got. Only in Chapter 3, but it doesn't hurt to be prepared!

2. mrboombastic

mrboombastic Member

Mar 30, 2015
    Boston
    It was fun..but not for a long time :(

3. vectorarchitekt

vectorarchitekt Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2013
    #83 vectorarchitekt, Oct 3, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2015
    I love this game.
    Due to the game center bug at the moment I can't play this game at all.

PLEASE PLEASE developer, remove the required connection to play. Couldn't you code something tied to a device's clock so it knows what day it is?
    If you could play this game without a connection or in a weak signal area it would make a world of difference.

4. Peterplodocus

Peterplodocus Active Member

Sep 23, 2015
    Spry Fox sent out the following this evening via email! #

"You've spoken, and we've listened! One of the most-requested Alphabear features is the ability to play without an internet connection. We're happy to announce that offline mode is out now for Android, and the iOS update is right around the corner. You can now play Alphabear while on a plane, in a subway, or stranded on a desert island! :)"

This was one of the things that prevented me from downloading the game so I can't wait for this update!

5. Candykiller

Candykiller Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Dec 15, 2010
    Illustrator/Designer
    United Kingdom
    You won't be able to earn coins or win bears in offline mode though. It will purely be a case of playing word matches, with no game progression.

6. vectorarchitekt

Dec 29, 2013
    Really?
    Well I suppose being able to play any of it is better than at all. This is good news!

7. vectorarchitekt

Dec 29, 2013
    I did the update, and nothing is different.
    The news section is also from the last update

8. Candykiller

Patreon Bronze

Dec 15, 2010
    Illustrator/Designer
    United Kingdom
    If you ensure that you are not connected to the internet (switch to airplane mode for example) you will get the option to play offline.

9. abstractgamefreak

abstractgamefreak Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2009
    Male
    Musician
    Germany
    The offline part isn't really exciting or comparable to the real game. Apart from it running slide-show-like on my iPad 2, I tried dozens of times to beat the boss of chapter 8. If you don't get Jolly Bear, I think it is very, very hard. As I am annoyed by the timer part, too, I am tempted to delete it and move on. A lot of "but" for a premium game.

10. Candykiller

Patreon Bronze

Dec 15, 2010
    Illustrator/Designer
    United Kingdom
    It isn't a premium game, it's free. You don't need the Jolly Bear to complete chapter 8. I would recommend fully levelling up Phobia Bear, Happy Bear, and Wary Bear. I'm almost at the end of the final chapter (chapter 10) with 81/95 of the bears collected.

I agree that the game performance is pretty poor on older devices though, especially as your bear collection grows larger. It's a bit choppy on my iPad 3 when accessing the bear selection screen.

11. abstractgamefreak

abstractgamefreak Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2009
    Male
    Musician
    Germany
    #91 abstractgamefreak, Nov 4, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2015
    Actually, if you go for "unlimited honey", you "buy" the app in a way, as in Triple Town. (Although I regret having done that. So much for freemium.) Interestingly, I have got none of these three bears you mentioned, despite playing often the appropriate 400-coins-events, where another element comes into play I don't like- the endless grinding. Timers and grinding, a combination which adds to the big "but".