Universal Alphabear: Word Puzzle Game (by Spry Fox, LLC)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Eli, Jun 17, 2015.

1. Capricornman

Capricornman Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2011
    #61 Capricornman, Jul 16, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2015
    I gave this game really concentrated chances and I got so discouraged today I had to delete it. I could barely meet the scores I needed and when I received about the eight Pirate bear I gave up. I had one legendary bear but all he did was sleep all day. That's not a good sign

2. Sassycat9

Sassycat9 New Member

Jul 15, 2015
    No you can't revisit bUT you can delete the app and restart! I made the same mistake, redownloaded the app and didn't log in
    plus my unlimited honey stayed even when not logged in to Google play (android user)
    I restarted, have all the bears from level 1 and leveling them up as much as I can. Only complete one board on each level t9 stay on that level. I'm only doing the big board on level 1, the timed level if you get the golden reward you progress :D

3. Sassycat9

Sassycat9 New Member

Jul 15, 2015
    Leveling up bears

For players still playing how many levels are you leveling up your bears before you move on ? I restarted the game and am on chapter 1. I have most bears on level 6 I believe.

4. Hebug

Hebug Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2010
    It'd be cool if we could track our scores for the daily "big board", "90 second blitz" and "coin" challenges. Although the layouts seem to change daily, I'd love to see my previous scores and bears chosen on a screen somewhere.

5. vectorarchitekt

vectorarchitekt Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2013
    I noticed there is an update and the App Store "what's new" description describes it, but the update doesn't pop up in the update section?

6. PBSNellie

PBSNellie Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2013
    Southern CA
    Devs: I just got two "Clock error occurred" messages which crashed my games (I had just won the 90 second challenge so that was particularly frustrating)...can you check on this please?

7. Candykiller

Candykiller Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Dec 15, 2010
    Illustrator/Designer
    United Kingdom
    Yes, I've been getting a lot of clock errors as well since the update.

8. Wicked8146

Wicked8146 Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Nov 17, 2009
    Dinosaur hunter
    Los Angeles
    The clock errors finally stopped this morning for me, but I can only watch 1 video a day now for blue coins. There is definitely a design flaw here where once you get to level 4, you're gonna need high level bears to advance. Since they sleep so long, you only get 1-2 shots per day. You can't level the Legendary or Rare bears very well either cause it takes so long to get blue coins or you can't go back a level to get duplicates, which they are fixing. I'm just gonna be stuck grinding level 4 for weeks or until I get burned out.

In hindsight, I should have grinded a ton on level 1 before advancing. Maybe to get each bear to level 20. Not sure what would work.

9. mr_bez

mr_bez Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2012
    In hindsight, maybe the game should have a better progression system or let you replay previous levels so this doesn't happen.

This is why I deleted not long after reaching Level 4.

10. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    So, just to be clear, if I pick 3 bears all of their "+x% to final score" are added together as a modifier to points made from my ending bear bodies?

11. Candykiller

Patreon Bronze

Dec 15, 2010
    Illustrator/Designer
    United Kingdom
    Is anyone else around here still playing Alphabear or is it just me? I was just curious how others are getting on. After a long slog I’m now on chapter 6. I think I have all the collectibles up to this stage apart from 2 legendary bears. It’s really just the annoying daily timers that are holding me back from progressing to the next chapter. Oh, and the measly coins you earn to participate in the treasure events for a “small chance” at getting those remaining legendary bears.

I must say, the multiple layers of restrictions preventing you from actually playing is getting tedious and knocks all the fun out of a potentially great game.

[​IMG]

12. fiskadoro

fiskadoro Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2009
    Chicago, IL
    I'm keeping it on my phone in case of future updates, but after playing it religiously for a week or so, I've kind of lost interest, mainly because of the time restrictions on the best bears, and as you mentioned, the measly coins/rewards on offer. Some of the scores required to win in the later chapters are nearly unobtainable for me, even though I love word games.

13. Candykiller

Patreon Bronze

Dec 15, 2010
    Illustrator/Designer
    United Kingdom
    Yeah, once you get to chapter 5 it has very little to do with word skills. The only way you can possibly reach the scores required is to use heavily levelled up bears. I'm mainly playing with 3 bears that I've levelled up to max with their nap times reduced considerably.

14. andysmash

andysmash Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2011
    I really love the game, but the progression is a serious problem. The massive, huge levels that appear later in the game just aren't fun. I think I'd much prefer if the levels stayed either small or medium, and if perhaps the bears were more cosmetic than beneficial. I don't know... for me, the fun part is spelling good words and getting a great mad lib at the end. Not completing massive levels that I can never score high enough on.

15. Candykiller

Patreon Bronze

Dec 15, 2010
    Illustrator/Designer
    United Kingdom
    Hmm, the boss level to progress to chapter 7 requires 27,500 points using only one bear. (and it's a timed event) I don’t see how that is even remotely possible.

16. Riyadh_Lobo

Riyadh_Lobo New Member

Aug 6, 2015
    Level up

I got you. I was stuck in Chapter 4 for a week or some, I couldn't pass the boss level no matter what bear I chose. I just passed it after I leveled up Werebear & Octobear.

Therefore, in your boss level, you need to keep leveling up and use a bear that has letters points, plus its bonus points. As you can see each bear has 100 level. My Werebear got more than 500% bonus point in his 22nd level, and Octobear has almost 200% in his 6th level! with more than 440 points in letters point. Imaging if get Octobear to level 35 or 50, damn! that bear will get 2500 point in letters and more than 2000% bonus and finished your boss level easy.

17. Riyadh_Lobo

Riyadh_Lobo New Member

Aug 6, 2015
    Android

Since I was using my I-pad and I didn't pay for the infinite honey, I downloaded "Alphabear" in my phone (Android) 5 days ago. It was a lot different than ios (apple) version. They updated the game in Android and guess it will take time from apple to approve it (like next week). The differences are:

*More Final Score Bonus (FSB) for all the bears, for example: Robot bear Level 1 has 120% in ios, and it has 375% in Android.
    *More points in letters.
    *Less seconds in timed games, for ex: Ninja bear has +15 sec in timed mode, and in Android has +10 sec.
    *Way less napping hours, the maximum napping hours are 12 hours, unlike the ios version, some bears has 2 days napping hours!
    *More expensive to weak up a bear. For ex: if my bear need 8 hours to weak up, then I have to pay like 400 or 375 coins to weak it up, in ios even if the bear need 1 day to weak up, i'll have to pay way less than that coins.
    *More bears, in Android version has 85 bears, and in ios has only 64 bears.
    *New events. I got in my chapter 3 and event called: CHALLENGE EVENT, which is really really hard to win it. For ex: all the golden egg in chapter required 20,000 points, however in this challenge event required 60,000 points!

18. kaizenkoh

kaizenkoh Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Jun 23, 2015
    Chief Evangelist
    Singapore
    Fun Game!

Been playing it for about 2 weeks but kinda lost interest a little as I'm finding it tough to make longer words to get more points. Those golden eggs are eluding me and can't really level up the bears as much. hmm... seems like a game balancing issue.

Maybe some encouragement to use certain combination of bears might help?

19. Candykiller

Patreon Bronze

Dec 15, 2010
    Illustrator/Designer
    United Kingdom
    When you get to a certain point in new chapters, long words won't cut it, and golden eggs will elude you. You need to concentrate on grinding/levelling up bears from previous chapters to enable you to reach the scores required to move forward.

The best thing to do is identify bears with high score multipliers, but short nap times, then it's a case of playing hundreds of quick matches to level up these bears.

Here is the list of the bears I focussed on levelling up (mostly to max) to slowly work my way up to Chapter 8...

Fore Bear
    Ninja Bear
    Zombie Bear
    WereBear
    Devil Bear
    Coffee Bear
    Tea Bear
    Pig Bear
    Questy Bear
    Goldilocks Bear

20. kaizenkoh

kaizenkoh Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Jun 23, 2015
    Chief Evangelist
    Singapore
    Love the heads up! Thanks for the tips and strategy to progress. So the strategy of longer words won't work but grinding does =). Yea, probably gotta try to level up those little bears first to get dem multipliers up.

Will try :D