Universal Alphabear: Word Puzzle Game (by Spry Fox, LLC)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Eli, Jun 17, 2015.

1. andysmash

andysmash Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2011
    In the FAQ it says there's a way to go back to earn bears you missed after you complete the main set of chapters. So I wouldn't stress about that too much.

This is a heck of a game.

2. statnut

statnut Well-Known Member

May 23, 2009
    I'm enjoying it but I'm playing in short bursts. The gold issue is going to be a problem I think but we'll see b

3. Wicked8146

Wicked8146 Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Nov 17, 2009
    Dinosaur hunter
    Los Angeles
    Good to know that I can go back and get skipped bears when I beat the game.

I have a suggestion, for those of us who have bought the $4.99 pack, how about instead of making us watch 5 videos a day for coins and/or grind for coins or pay for coins, how about a bonus to the coins received from getting a bear. As of right now, if I watch all the videos and a play a few times a day, I can take one attempt at the legendary bear. I think as a fully paying player I shouldn't have to sit through 5 videos a day.

I also think that there should be a different system to take on the boss instead of just waiting for time to pass. It's never a great mechanic when you force your players to wait to play your game.

Love this game though. I have 11 bears and looking to get some more.

4. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    So other than maybe the first few bears as the game teaches you the basics, are bears unlocked in a set order or is the "bear egg" drawn at the end of a level somewhat randomized?

5. andysmash

andysmash Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2011
    Weird. I did a treasure event for a legendary bear and completed it. But I didn't get the bear. Is it a CHANCE at a bear, then, or was it a glitch?

6. mr_bez

mr_bez Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2012
    Yep, it's random from a list of about six. You can see the list of bears available before you start by tapping the i button on the bear select screen (this also works on the other levels). Unfortunately you can only view this list if you have enough honey/money to play, which is a bit of an annoying design.

7. sugimulm

sugimulm Well-Known Member

Very annoying indeed. It takes you about 3 to 4 days to even enter, earning enough gold that is. It's pretty disheartening inmo.

8. fiskadoro

fiskadoro Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2009
    Chicago, IL
    Still a little conflicted about Alphabear. I bought the infinite honey which is great to let you keep playing, but I still feel the game is too grindy. The bears sleep for so long (especially the good rare/legendary ones) and you pretty much need those awake to pass later chapters with their high score demands, so essentially, I might get ONE shot a day at using the bears I've earned to pass a level.

I guess it's tough to get the balance right, while still keeping the game challenging and not too easy to exploit. I don't regret purchasing the $4.99 IAP, it's just that I think things need to be balanced a bit more in general.

I still love the dynamic behind the game very much. I'm hoping there will be updates and improvements to tackle this in the future, like there were with TripleTown.

9. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    My thoughts exactly. I foolishly payed the $5 and only knocked out the game's least offensive timer/limiter. :(

10. Candykiller

Candykiller Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Dec 15, 2010
    Illustrator/Designer
    United Kingdom
    This is a great little game but the IAP coin prices are WAY too expensive. Like many others on here, I was happy to purchase the infinite honey, but the game is still very limited in its current form.

The smallest coin pack is the price of many full-blown mobile games and that only buys you one shot at at a legendary bear level. If the coin packs were a quarter of the current price, I would be inclined to throw a dollar into the game once in a while to play one of the more meaningful levels, but as it stands, there’s no way I will be spending any more on the game.

It’s a real shame because the game would be a lot of fun if you didn’t have to wait an entire day to play for a short period.

11. addictor

addictor Well-Known Member

Jul 8, 2015
    I loving this game. The "infinite Honey" IAP is a great deal
    Fantastic game with great ui ux and features

12. ShinHadoukin

ShinHadoukin Well-Known Member

Feb 20, 2015
    Another great game ruined by nonsense to hinder the play from enjoying the game. Limiting play to encourage purchases. You can't complain when a game is free, I just disagree with the model for this game type. Also, I disagree with buying something to "support the developers." The developers decided to make the game free, with ads. We owe them nothing. I know how well IAP does, so good for them, but you putting out a free game does not mean that I have to pay you to support your development choices. Again, it's a well done game but there are too many awesome games that we can enjoy without any purposeful limitations. I like Spey Fox & hope this does well. Too bad though, at least with triple town you could pay to fully unlock the game and play all you want.

13. vectorarchitekt

vectorarchitekt Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2013
    Finally got a good one.

Attached Files:

14. Sassycat9

Sassycat9 New Member

Jul 15, 2015
    Restarting the game?

Anyone know if you delete and restart the game if you loose the unlimited honey you've bought? I bought it but didn't realize how chapters worked until I got to chapter 3 and didn't have enough bears. I'd really like to start over with this knowledge but would hate to loose my 4.99 I used. :confused:

15. sugimulm

sugimulm Well-Known Member

Just loaded on my iPad, click on honey section, there is an option to restore purchases. You should be ok.

16. Sassycat9

Sassycat9 New Member

Jul 15, 2015
    I did work! Thanks so much, I'm going to stay on each level as long as possible now. Getting stuck on level 3 because the bears were such low level and only 5 bears sucked!
    Have all the bears from level 1 already just leveling them up now :)
    Now that I get the chapters I can fully enjoy the game. Yay!:D

17. Wicked8146

Wicked8146 Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Nov 17, 2009
    Dinosaur hunter
    Los Angeles
    Starting to get a little frustrated that I can only take one attempt at a real score on the daily puzzles due to good bears sleeping and then one attempt every day or 36 hours to get another rare/legendary bear. It just feels artificially slowed down, which is frustrating for a user.

Maybe lower the price of entry for treasure events so you can take 2 attempts per day?

18. Still occasionally playing a game here and there. The "good word!" bubbles are a bit of a nuisance on the timed levels because they cover letters while the clock is counting down. Can those be deactivated for those levels?

Thanks!

19. Hebug

Hebug Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2010
    Can I go back to revisit old levels? I blazed through the first 3 chapters and now realize I am missing bears from them. Do they show up again later? Seems like proceeding through the chapters goes a lot slower now since I can only clear 2 events/day at most and they require 8-10 to pass.

20. fiskadoro

fiskadoro Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2009
    Chicago, IL
    Like Wicked8146, I'm beginning to tire of this now. It was fun at first, but as the difficulty increases, very high scores are needed to pass levels. Trouble is, my best bears are not sleeping for a mere hour or two but perhaps a couple of days! So you not only have to grind for coins to win the better bears, once you do win them (and I'd like to think that's due to my skill as a player) the game kinda kicks you in the head by allowing you to play with them maybe once every two days. This just seems so egregious.