Universal Alphabear: Word Puzzle Game (by Spry Fox, LLC)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Eli, Jun 17, 2015.

1. ArcticXC

ArcticXC New Member

Feb 5, 2009
    Yeah, installed the new version over the soft-launch ver and lost all my progress from the last few weeks. Kind of a shame.

2. wigzisonfire

wigzisonfire Well-Known Member

Dec 24, 2012
    Art Director
    London
    #22 wigzisonfire, Jul 9, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2015
    Hey dude.

My impressions.

Very threes inspired ui and stylings (which is a good thing.) the game looks gorgeous and the little bears all add real charm.

Gameplay is nothing groundbreaking but still feels extremely satisfying and never gets boring. (Though I'm not quite clear on the exact rules on which and how the Bears expand.)

Now for the bad.

Why on earth can I not play unless I have an Internet connection! It halts me from ever playing this game when I actually would. Commuting on the train and tube etc!?

Please change this instantly.

This brings me onto my next point, the unlimited honey iap seems steep for what is not a full game unlock. Especially when I must play with internet connection.

The iap starts to become very in your face.

Sadly this quickly ruined what would easily have been one of my favourite puzzle games next to classics like threes.

I may just be getting super old, but I really can't understand why there can't just be an option to let me pay a premium price to be freed from the free to play shenanigans. The way your game is set up will not make me chang my attitude and start dropping iaps like they're hot, it will simply make me stop playing your game.

Anyway, I sincerely hope a version that caters for my end of the gaming crowd gets implemented otherwise, good luck. You have the template for what could have been a great puzzler.

3. mr_bez

mr_bez Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2012
    Breaking news from Pirate Bear!

Attached Files:

4. Stustaff

Stustaff Well-Known Member

Oct 28, 2010
    I haven't played anything but today's version, when it quits and I reopen I lose all progress.

5. Danc

Danc Member

Jan 20, 2012
    Re: losing all progress.

This can happen to you if you quit in the middle of the tutorial, but shouldn't happen otherwise. If it keeps occurring, write [email protected] and we'll get right on it. Death to bugs! :)

Re: Bear naps. I did that to try to get folks to use a variety of bears. We'll see how it works out. Otherwise players were just using the same uber powerful bear over and over again and that was a wee bit boring. I want you to be able to break the game with your immense cleverness, but not completely break the game.

6. If you have the option to use up to three bears and you only have three bears but one is asleep, that means you can only use two bears. I know this is a word game, but there's my math for the day.

7. mr_bez

mr_bez Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2012
    You'll pretty quickly have a lot more bears, and you don't need to use any bears to get a golden egg, certainly on the earlier levels.

8. funem

funem Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2014
    Loved triple town and love this game so far. Unfortunately it needs an Internet connection so it's an uninstall for me. I usually buy games or IAP's to support devs but not if they are single player games with Internet requirements. I may visit this if this restriction was removed. Good luck with the game though I think you have another winner.

9. Pedroapan

Pedroapan Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2010
    Haha, this is a fun game! Shoud interest fans of Capitals as well. Good luck!

Did anyone sucessfully fill the screen with one big bear yet?

I was pretty close, just missed the top row...

Pedroapan

10. Durduhdur

Durduhdur Well-Known Member

Jan 13, 2012
    Loving the game so far. Constant connection isn't so bad for me, neither is the honey but the coins and bear naps are going to be an issue it seems. I've got one bear that needs like a 24 hour nap or something insane. Also a treasure level im locked out of for serious lack of coinage. Fun game but guess it's going to be a random dump game like many on mobile are becoming. Left a 5⭐️ review on App Store.

11. Stustaff

Stustaff Well-Known Member

Oct 28, 2010
    I was 7 or 8 games and 20 minutes in, I'll see if replicates and email with details.

12. sugimulm

sugimulm Well-Known Member

Bought the unlimited honey to support the devs for making a fun and polished game. However, why can't we play the previous chapters? Why are we forced to wait for the next day's challenge especially when the Treasure Events are so expensive? For people that paid for unlimited honey, I personally feel that we should have the option to revisit previous chapters to grind for more monies to participate in the Treasure Events.

Still love the game though, lol.

13. mr_bez

mr_bez Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2012
    Yep. It's doable! Think I've managed it twice now.

Attached Files:

14. sugimulm

sugimulm Well-Known Member

Me too, lol

Attached Files:

15. mr_bez

mr_bez Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2012
    Can anyone shed any light on how the end-of-level bonuses work?

My Fore Bear currently says I will receive:
    Final score bonus of 53%
    + 30 for 4-letter words

In my last round though, the score card showed:
    Letter Score: 2658
    Big Bears: 7436
    Fore Bear: 43

The other two bears I used weren't even featured on the list.

16. xBTAx

xBTAx Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2009
    Hey, can someone help clear something up for me? The FAQ says that you can't replay chapters so you should get the bears you want from a chapter before beating its boss. Does this mean that if I best this first boss now, there's bears that I might miss getting forever? Also, do all the daily levels drop the same bears or should I be trying to get everything from a full week before continuing?

17. vectorarchitekt

vectorarchitekt Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2013
    One thing I would LOVE to change is for the timed games, the tiles don't age or turn to rocks so that you could really focus on making as many good words as possible.
    The rock thing could still be in the standard boards.
    Anyway just a thought.

18. mr_bez

mr_bez Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2012
    #38 mr_bez, Jul 12, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2015
    I think that'd make it too easy. It's already a smaller board and it's quite possible to complete them with no rocks as it is.

In other news, I'm pretty sure there's a profanity filter on the Share screens at the end but I still got some doozies after my last round.

Attached Files:

19. imusic

imusic Well-Known Member

Aug 31, 2009
    I write music for a living.
    Los Angeles, CA.

+1 I'd love to know this too. Anyone?

20. mr_bez

mr_bez Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2012
    As far as I can tell, the daily games on each level offer the same bears each day.

The daily games on Level 2 give different bears than the daily games on Level 3 though.

I don't know if there are bears that can only be earned once and are gone forever as I've not played enough. The more common bears definitely repeat as you get further up, but I don't know about the Legendary bears.