Universal ALONE... (by Laser Dog)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by PeteOzzy, Aug 27, 2014.

1. sapphire_neo

sapphire_neo Well-Known Member

Jan 20, 2011
    I mostly play with my thumb on the right side and occasionally on the left side if I'm tired. On Hyperspace and Void I can only play with my right thumb due to the level of dexterity required.

2. Anotherkellydown

Anotherkellydown Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Bronze

Heyyy!! There she is, lol. I have to agree, this is a top notch, twitchy flyer. Glad you came out of your shell! :)

3. kaibosh

kaibosh Well-Known Member

Jun 14, 2012
    I knew TA wouldn't have the balls to give this game the 5 stars it easily deserves. The Dodo game has eye searing graphics and animation, but it really isn't a great game.

Also, they found the controls 'squirrelly'? Seriously? These are the most precise controls imaginable, anything less and you would not be getting far in this game. How much did they even play it?

4. paulkane

paulkane Well-Known Member

Sep 6, 2012
    Library automaton
    Denver
    I saw that 5+ hours/day comment. You've been devoured by JJX.

5. bilboa

bilboa Well-Known Member

May 23, 2013
    Boston, MA, USA
    It takes more balls to able to read an opinion that slightly differs from your own without feeling a need to attack the other person's integrity.

Sheesh, if that wasn't a glowing review I don't know what is. In any case, "TA" didn't write the review, Shaun Musgrave did. Shaun isn't the one who reviewed the Dodo game, so I don't know why you'd expect them to be judged by exactly the same criteria.

6. MBowman

MBowman Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2014
    Really clean/pretty graphics! :D

7. Ubisububi

Ubisububi Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2009
    California
    #67 Ubisububi, Sep 2, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2014
    The first endless runner/flyer that can even touch Canabalt; and it surpasses it.

No coins, no IAPs, just you against the universe. A game that harkens back to the golden days of iOS gaming.

A masterpiece.

8. Pepelutin

Pepelutin Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2013
    Music teacher
    Belgium
    Too bad you feel obliged to attack another game to defend the one you like.
    I just finished the dodo game, and i had a really good time. I don't know what is a great game, if dodo master isn't one.

9. Qwertz555

Qwertz555 Well-Known Member

May 22, 2010
    #69 Qwertz555, Sep 2, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2014
    So is your post, cool.

With all this beautifully distracting backgrounds, this feels like a sequel of Canabalt, where "Michael Jackson", after so much running, finally finds a spaceship and flees..into the next disaster.

*cough* beein in the top 10 (yet) on veteran suggests that i get along damn well with the controls and yet, i don't feel at home with them as with the other two top classics. This little, yet important tiny bit of sensitivity that my brain and my thumb are missing. But thankfully it's nothing that couldn't get adjusted by Laser Dog.

Looking at GC, not many people are able to play "void", me neither. 8k's to unlock seems to be beyond my skills. Addictive playing and my best is 5.7k. Maybe something the Devs already thinking about ?

Edit: adjusted as an option, of course

Edit again: i put on Baranowski's masterpice RUN! and made 7.6k in the first try, darn. Perfect track, omg !

10. JCho133

JCho133 Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    Wow this has been getting a bunch of great reviews around the web

11. Ubisububi

Ubisububi Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2009
    California
    It's nice to see that I'm not ALONE (did you see what I did there?) in drawing similarities between these two fantastic games.

Great post.

12. Shaun Musgrave

Shaun Musgrave Well-Known Member

Jul 8, 2013
    Freelance writer, teacher, business owner
    Ibaraki, Japan
    They should fire that guy for sure.

13. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    I know right? What a doofus.

14. vectorarchitekt

vectorarchitekt Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2013
    Great game, but I feel like I'm never going to get a high enough score to unlock the other levels. Can't wait to get to the red one.

15. Infinity89

Infinity89 Well-Known Member

Apr 8, 2013
    Really but I like that guy.

16. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    I didnt agree with the review but i found the Swing Copters news item even worse as the game of the week etc.

But its a review, dont take them so seriously. Reviews wont please everyone as we all have different tastes, i like reviews but i use them more as a rough guide. I personally think this game should have got 5 stars as its a great platformer, very polished and also done by an indie dev with no IAPs. I look forward to this guys next game

17. Rennerd

Rennerd Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2014
    It's a... Platformer?

18. Shaun Musgrave

Shaun Musgrave Well-Known Member

Jul 8, 2013
    Freelance writer, teacher, business owner
    Ibaraki, Japan
    Fire that guy, too.

19. Qwertz555

Qwertz555 Well-Known Member

May 22, 2010
    I reported a bug playing perfect mode. Happend six times that i got a black screen, always at 4k. Before i re-dl; only me ?

20. Aisxos

Aisxos New Member

Sep 4, 2014
    Game Impressions

The golden rule of game development has always been: "If the game is too hard for you to play as a developer, you need to tone it down to where its just hard, then make it about 50% less difficult"

This game is great. It plays great, it reacts great, there's a great feeling of achievement when you manage to get through a difficult situation, and the soundtrack is phenomenal.

It almost replaced Canabalt for best thing to play on the train for me, except...

Unfortunately the game is too random. Too often will it put you in impossible situations. Two rocks at the mouth of a tight cavern, three lasers straight at you while you're travelling a tight cavern, etc.

It took me about 10 hours to get to 6 km in pro only to have the game ask me to do 8 km on the next difficulty. The only way that's possible is through some really really really good luck of not running into an impossible situation. I suspect it might be a little easier on an ipad, but on the iphone i'm not going to attempt it.

Don't get me wrong, I applaud the developer for trying to design a difficult game, but there is a distinct difference between 'difficult' and 'you just need to get real lucky to make it'

My suggestion would be to move the unlocks back down to 4k per difficulty, since you can make 4k with only reasonable luck. After 4k, if the otherwise small % chance of running into an impossible situation hasn't occurred yet, its bound to happen based on just how long you've gone without running into one.

Once you have unlocks you can challenge people with achievements, bonuses, whatever. Right now more than 99% of the people who own your game are not likely to ever get to play on Void, and that percentage is probably generous.

Until then I'll just stick to veteran. I really like the game, but right now I don't feel challenged by the harder modes anymore than I feel challenged by losing at a roulette game.