Universal ALONE... (by Laser Dog)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by PeteOzzy, Aug 27, 2014.

1. Lazer Kat

Lazer Kat Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2013
    #21 Lazer Kat, Aug 28, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2014
    I challenge the developer to a lazer duel
    (This looks great btw).

2. JCho133

JCho133 Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    I recall seeing pre-release footage of this bad boy a while back...

Looks absolutely spectacular, especially the visual style, I really dig the hard scifi minimalism. Those ships at the beginning of the trailer especially. And the music is absolutely on par with the visuals.

Just 20 mins to go!

3. your personal robot

your personal robot Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2008
    nonverbalist
    Berlin
    Only ten minutes in, and this game is already among my favorite minimalist runners... next to Canabalt and Boson X. Everything is perfect, presentation, controls, fun... bright 5 stars.

And thanks for giving me the option to change controls. I never liked inverted :)

4. slamraman

slamraman Well-Known Member
    Patreon Gold

Aug 27, 2011
    Just realised this was from the PUK people. Loved PUK so would be rude not to get this.

5. paulkane

paulkane Well-Known Member

Sep 6, 2012
    Library automaton
    Denver
    Thanks for the heads up!

6. Anotherkellydown

Anotherkellydown Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Bronze

This is so fun! Great game to throw on an iPhone. Not sure how it plays on the iPad though. Great set of achievements; these keep me coming back to games, and the ones in Alone... are very well implemented. Great music, fluid movement and controls, awesome art style and sense of speed. Glad I didn't think twice about this one!

7. coderkid

coderkid Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2010
    Delightful little game. I'm actually surprised the devs made this a landscape only game, it works surprisingly well as a one hand portrait twitch game as well.

8. gmanderly

gmanderly New Member

Aug 30, 2014
    I actually can't believe Touch Arcade haven't done a review of this game yet? It's so good! I first learnt about it from the "Upcoming" article they did here: toucharcade.com/2014/07/10/alone-is-a-fast-paced-cave-flyer-coming-next-month/

P.S. Made an account just to say this after looking for a review from Touch Arcade about this game.

9. Unfrozen

Unfrozen Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Apr 11, 2011
    Canada
    I'm absolutely loving this. I enjoy it as a twitch game far more than swing copters.

10. kaibosh

kaibosh Well-Known Member

Jun 14, 2012
    This game is TIGHT and deserves a lot more love. This is definitely up there with the finest twitchers, it makes Pako feel... Sedate.

Grab it. Now.

11. coolpepper43

coolpepper43 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Aug 31, 2012
    On the toilet
    I think this game is amazeballs but it sometimes takes over 3 months for TA to review some games. It was just released this week.
    I do freaking love this game!!!! I'm in twitch heaven here! :D
    Jcho, what you know? What you think?

12. rIcHrAnDoM

rIcHrAnDoM Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Nov 17, 2008
    Steelworker/Welder
    Indiana, USA
    Alright already! Too many positive impressions here for me not to pick this up...

13. sink_or_swim

sink_or_swim Well-Known Member

Feb 4, 2012
    Germany
    well the game is good but for me it's too hard. My best score is 1.300m and I need 4.000m to unlock the next mode. And the controls are a bit too sensitive, maybe the dev can add an option to reduce the sensivity.

14. kaibosh

Jun 14, 2012
    Your forum name says it all. The sensitivity is perfect on my iPad, and once you learn to relax the game becomes... Easier. Tap into your Zen and don't panic. (Also, wait until you have to hit 6000 in Pro)

15. rIcHrAnDoM

Patreon Silver

Nov 17, 2008
    Steelworker/Welder
    Indiana, USA
    Okay I'm liking Alone, but man is this tough! Can anyone comment on what differences the two "bonus" modes offer apart from the regular modes? I'm not sure I'll ever get past 4000 meters in Veteran Mode but it would be nice to know what these bonus modes consist of ;)

16. sink_or_swim

sink_or_swim Well-Known Member

Feb 4, 2012
    Germany
    I just reached 4.600m :D

17. kaibosh

Jun 14, 2012
    The other two modes are faster, tighter, more distractions, more things trying to kill you... And yet, somehow the game remains fair and consistent at all times.

If you let this game make you panic, you won't get far. It is all about relaxing, ignoring stuff like atom bombs going off, and trusting in your regenerative shielding. At one point at around 5000m in Pro I saw the markers for a big asteroid and an incoming comet at the same time, and didn't even flinch - the comet took out the rock and skimmed over me by about 1.5 pixels.

Some reflex games have you die because of unfair sudden obstacles - this game is not one of them and when you die it will always be because you panicked. Maybe the seven Billion hours of Jetpack Joyride have burned out a part of my brain that reacts to incoming side-scrolling stimuli, but I find this game... Relaxing.

18. djstout

djstout Well-Known Member

Jul 21, 2011
    Sportscaster & football (soccer) coach
    Taiwan & Japan
    Bought and enjoying it, great soundtrack, good game play (I had to get use to it tho). Well worth the 200 yen I paid for it

19. rIcHrAnDoM

Patreon Silver

Nov 17, 2008
    Steelworker/Welder
    Indiana, USA
    Hey, thanks that makes sense and I am making progress. The thing that has given me a somewhat better perspective is taking off the inverted controls and yes, you're right, getting in tune eith the regenerative shield properties.

20. wigzisonfire

wigzisonfire Well-Known Member

Dec 24, 2012
    Art Director
    London
    This received a rave gold award from pocket gamer 9/10

http://www.pocketgamer.co.uk/r/Multiformat/ALONE/ip_review.asp?c=61261