Universal Almora Darkosen RPG (by Gear-Studio)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Gear-Studio, Jun 3, 2022.

1. stubbieoz

stubbieoz Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2015
    Male
    Grey haired gamer
    NSW Australia
    I have just played for around 15 minutes and oh boy, what a great game so far. I hope it gets a lot of attention, especially from TA members.
    The business model (free to play with optional one time purchase) should be complimented. Best way to do that is to buy it, like I just did. Here’s hoping the quality continues through the game. The game looks fantastic, if you like older style action rpg’s.
    You can tell a lot of thought has gone into the game, from the well detailed map to the inclusion of a crafting system.

Grzegorz, your game has brought me back to playing on my iPad Pro once again, and I thank you for that. :cool:

A couple of quick questions.
    I’m unclear on what exactly saving a game does save. It doesn’t appear to save your current position if exploring an area, but it might be saving your exp and collected items?

Is being able to transfer a save being considered?
    I would like to play it on my iPad and occasionally keep playing my game on my iPhone.

2. Jstorm

Jstorm Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2020
    Male
    Employed
    Earth
    I think the save game button saves everything except the location. Auto save is frequent enough that manual save isn’t really required though.

3. Gear-Studio

Gear-Studio Active Member

Jan 12, 2022
    Male
    Yes, but I need to find Almora player with English-Japanese translation skills. Also it needs more complex coding, because of fonts :) Anyway it's possible and I'm open on it.

Thanks a lot! :) Really glad to hear you like my game and that you have returned to your iPad :)
    About saving: Game saves every data, but player location is kind of checkpoints - when change the location and on the portals ( pink circles ).

On Android version there is a "Save game + Cloud Save" button instead of "Save game". The game sends data to the cloud every fifth automatic game save. However, you can force saving in the cloud by manually clicking on the "Save Game" button.

However CloudSave is not available for the iOS version yet, I am currently working on it. Generally, you can think of this button as a placeholder for iOS users, although the local save itself also works, so you can use it to be sure that your data is saved when closing the app.

Thanks for feedback :)

solarnya and sakara214ever like this.
  4. mgambino

mgambino Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2014
    I played the free version for a little while, and I’m getting a strong Exiled Kingdoms meets Vengeance RPG vibe. That is a very good thing, and this is a very good game.

Obviously, it still lacks some polish, but I can’t complain about that since the developer is very open about this still being a WIP. In its current state, $5.00 is a steal.

I’m looking forward to seeing how this one further develops.

::quick edit::: In case it wasn’t obvious, I bought the unlock with 0 hesitation.

5. Gear-Studio

Jan 12, 2022
    Male
    #25 Gear-Studio, Jun 10, 2022
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2022
    Thanks for feedback!

The game is finished and it's not WIP, but due to players requests I just adding some new stuff or enhancing the game :)

Due to the very high interest in the game (over 500,000 downloads on Android), I even announced that I will create an expansion pack for the game, but at this stage game is completed.

[Previous message here was deleted because of misunderstood]

Thanks for support and for playing!

6. mgambino

Aug 13, 2014

With the amount of work you’re still putting into it, it seems like a WIP. That being said, it’s a great finished game with a lot developer support.

Also, I know English isn’t your primary language, but “being a steal” is good thing. I meant the game is good enough that you could be charging more for it.

7. Gear-Studio

Jan 12, 2022
    Male
    Oh, sorry for that :) Please forgive me. I really misunderstood it completely, sorry and thanks again for a good word :)

8. gmattergames

gmattergames Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2013
    Wow. I remember playing initial builds you posted on GameMaker game dev forums 10+ Years ago. Even in those early builds, it was a standout in the GM community and validated what GM was capable of long before it was considered a viable middleware platform.

So glad you kept working this, the game has evolved so well, really enjoyable and so impressive.

9. mgambino

Aug 13, 2014
    No problem. A lot of slang and jargon doesn’t translate well. Italian is my second language, and I’m fluent, but I when visit my family in Italy, I constantly misunderstand what they are saying.

10. Anotherkellydown

Anotherkellydown Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Bronze

11. Gear-Studio

Jan 12, 2022
    Male
    Thanks! Yes, First, Almora was a PC game and it was a "Almora Online" MMORPG, then I put it on the forum for the first time :) Despite the great interest in the game, the project did not work out, because I did not have a proper server, there were also a lot of technical problems and "GM Studio" was not as much developed programming tool as it is today. Old times, but it's very nice that you remember Almora from that time :)

This is really amazing news! Thanks, I am so glad :)

12. Solarclipse

Solarclipse Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2012
    #32 Solarclipse, Jun 16, 2022
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2022
    I've been enjoying playing a bit (level 18 now) and here are a few pointers:

•Keys can be purchased for 1 almora token at the tavern and a few other places.
    •Almora tokens can be found and also purchased, but they will get more expensive as you progess. At one point in North Almoria, you'll find a temporary merchant who sells them very cheap, 300. But he will disappear. So...before you finish that area save up and buy as many as you can!
    •single tap on the 4 slots on the left side, you will have the option to empty those quick inventory slots. To set another item to those slots, tap on the item in your inventory and then the arrows to the right of use/drop.
    •When you are crafting/upgrading gear, you can get a preview of the new item. Just remove something from the 2x2 box if you don't actually want to craft.
    •There is a setting so that lower level enemies don't respawn, which is nice unless you are trying to get easy gold or something.
    •Mercenaries die and...they don't appear to respawn! I don't think you can upgrade their gear, but you can level them up...I'm not sure if that will effect their price for services or not though.

13. Gear-Studio

Jan 12, 2022
    Male
    #33 Gear-Studio, Jun 17, 2022
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2022
    Thanks for feedback and tips for new players :) :) :)

14. stubbieoz

Jun 23, 2015
    Male
    Grey haired gamer
    NSW Australia
    To the dev;
    Really enjoying playing this game. It has a lot of things such as quest markers and equipment comparison that makes it a joy to play.
    While I am still only in the early stages I am already missing not having the ability to play on my iPad and continue my game on my iPhone.
    Normally I just play games on my big iPad Pro but this game plays really well on my old iPhone 8 plus as well. I would love to continue the game when I’m not at home and continue my save on my phone.

I hope iOS across device save files does become a real thing. I know you said you were hoping it would happen.
    And thanks for a great premium game with no ftp bs. :cool:

15. Gear-Studio

Jan 12, 2022
    Male
    Thank you for feedback! :)

Yes, problem with notch overlay ( on some devices ) and Cloud Save is my priority now and working on it.

16. Gear-Studio

Jan 12, 2022
    Male
    Can you tell me please which controller is most popular for Apple users?
    I need to buy one, because I am testing it now ( Android platform ) on PlayStation 4 Controller and also I am about to test it on Xbox controller eigther.

Thank you :)

17. sharfaust

sharfaust Well-Known Member

Jul 1, 2013
    I can tell you that I have both an Xbox Series X controller and a Nimbus controller. I don’t really know which controller is most popular. Just from posting on this site, I feel like most people seem to have either an Xbox controller, a PlayStation controller, a Nimbus controller or a Backbone controller (or possibly more than one of those).

decript and Anotherkellydown like this.
  18. Gus_SWE

Gus_SWE Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2022
    Male
    Using a Nimbus+ here.

19. Anotherkellydown

Anotherkellydown Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Bronze

I use either my Backbone One (awesome and perfect for iPhone), Mad Catz C.T.R.L. (rarely use since getting the Backbone), or Xbox One controller. Like the other two posters mentioned, Nimbus and PlayStation controllers work well too.

20. stubbieoz

Jun 23, 2015
    Male
    Grey haired gamer
    NSW Australia
    Nimbus Steelseries all the way here, but I find the touch controls really good.

Oh while I’m here…. just a friendly reminder about implementing cross device saves.
    And full disclosure, it’s a totally self interest request.
    I fell off a ladder and broke some ribs so I’m in hospital with only my iphone and my ipad back at home has my save. o_O

Anotherkellydown likes this.