All of this waiting...

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Pacificsun0481, Nov 27, 2010.

1. meatz666

meatz666 Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2010
    Software Developer
    Aberdeen/Scotland/UK
    Do like me... I'm spending my night drinking Jack'n'Coke and playing Super SF 4 on my PS3... LOL

2. Pacificsun0481

Pacificsun0481 Well-Known Member

Jul 10, 2010
    Sacramento, CA

I have a my 360 and now a Kinect (which works well, I must say) -

But it's hard to pull away from the forum. This place makes me OCD, lol

3. meatz666

Sep 29, 2010
    Software Developer
    Aberdeen/Scotland/UK
    I know how it's like...
    It's when you notice that it's more enjoyable to talk about games than actually playing them...

4. Pacificsun0481

Jul 10, 2010
    Sacramento, CA
    I know right?

I wonder why that could be...

5. meatz666

Sep 29, 2010
    Software Developer
    Aberdeen/Scotland/UK
    How old are you, my friend?
    I would blame "talking about games" on age...
    Maybe I'm wrong?
    I have to say, a few years ago, I would be playing with my band at this time... But, I've always loved games... I remember playing a gig thinking "man, I want to go back home and play The Movies..."... lol... :D

6. ScottColbert

ScottColbert Well-Known Member

Meh, I don't think it's so much age, as much as it is interest. I'm 45 and still talk about games I'm excited about (and not in that, "back in my day" reminiscing either). I also do that with books, and movies as well. Music, not as much anymore but occasionally something will come out that gets me excited.

I understand the frustration of waiting and not knowing. Hell, I waited for years for Daikatana to come out only to be so disappointed I vowed never to play any games by Romero again (turns out that was an easy vow to keep!)

Still, I admit, I like the element of surprise when a game I'm looking forward to finally does come out; it's like Christmas almost.

And yes, I'll be one of those standing in line at midnight to get the Wow expansion on the 7th.

7. Pacificsun0481

Jul 10, 2010
    Sacramento, CA
    The ripe old age of...

Twenty nine

8. JoshCM

JoshCM Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2009
    Game Designer
    Upstate NY
    I don't like giving release info when we don't know for sure when it will be released or even submitted. Our goal is to have it released before Christmas which means that it needs to be submitted really soon.
    I have no exact dates yet. When its been submitted - we'll most likely make an announcement. (Or all of the sudden it will become very quiet (I'll be sleeping))

On pricing, I've always said that I like the price of $9.99
    We're still thinking about it though.

9. Pacificsun0481

Jul 10, 2010
    Sacramento, CA
    #29 Pacificsun0481, Nov 27, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2010
    Josh,

The intention was not to irritate you. Not at all. I was implying very, very many iOS games have this exact same issue.

I just have been irked, in general by the overall lack of any specifics. Now with specifically, I still haven't received an answer, as to whether the Aralon iPad version will launch alongside the iPhone version. The betas not being in sync, so to speak had my curiosity on the subject peaked.

(it rhymes. I overslept in my race car bed, forgive me.) :p

Anyhow...

It's crunch time for the devs. I love you all. I don't mean to sound naggy.

I just like info.

If the roles were switched, you be as excited and perplexed, I'm sure.

10. weehoo

weehoo Well-Known Member

Apr 12, 2010
    the stars
    I'll tell you why!!!

MYSTERY MYSTERY MYSTERY

1. Even apple knows that when you keep your product "hush hush" with little details given, it creates speculation and conversation. It is just one of many "psychological" methods used in marketing. When a game is released out-of-nowhere with little details, it creates surprise which can lead to spontaneous purchasing, without question.

2. When all the details are given, the "hype-mystery-speculation-curiosity-wonder-hopeful-doubtful-anticipating" feelings go away. EX: RAGE and INFINITY BLADE has had so many details and articles written about them so early that the excitement and anticipation I should have doesn't even exist anymore.

3. When little details are given, it creates a sense of urgent-curiosity which results in searching rigorously for any details on the subject, and to no avail. Not only are you thinking about the game more, but the lack of info drives you to check nearly everyday, hoping for any word. You are not only curious at this point, but now you are emotionally involved, experiencing anger, sadness, disappointment, anticipation, confusion and finally happiness and relief when you stumble upon any info you can get.

$*$*$*$*$*

If you understand these three points, you will know why this thread was created in the first place. Dive deeper into understanding the human brain and you will not succumb to the psychology/marketing. Believe it or not, there are professionals that get paid very well to create market strategies that Fll<K with your emotions intentionally.

11. TiltMyTouch

TiltMyTouch Well-Known Member

Jun 10, 2010
    Yeah, marketing techniques are seriously crazy, yet it seems so simple and harmless to the average consumer.

12. robotsvswizards.com

robotsvswizards.com Well-Known Member

Mar 29, 2010
    Game Development, Music
    CA, USA
    If you have a anticipated game it can be dangerous for the very reasons mentioned.

Maybe devs are hiding info from gameloft not gamers.

Maybe Crescent moon may not want game loft to release Argo sword of light the day before their game lol.

In all seriousness small idevs have to be somewhat clever to play with the big boys.

These forums give more info than a lot of publishing industries. Hardly anything to complain about. If anything so much info may give a false sense of entitlement.

13. weehoo

weehoo Well-Known Member

Apr 12, 2010
    the stars
    Interesting perspective. If you think about it, this is true for nearly every industry. There is a great amount of thought that goes into such little things. Humans can be sneaky, secretive little bastards, can't they?

14. Alienmario

Alienmario Well-Known Member

Aug 28, 2009
    gaming! lol
    idk udk
    my suggestion- update ravensword with poll of how much they would pay for much better game, that will also make some hype but may be too late

15. New England Gamer

New England Gamer Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 30, 2009
    Yes I do agree with much of what you said. Take Little Big Planet 2 for instance. Without any fanfare it got delayed a week, then with even less fanfare it was delayed 2 months (ish). No one to gripe about it to (maybe on a PS3 forum people were complaining but to each other not the publisher), no interaction nothing. Just done.

Here on the Apple front though, if a game is a minute later than promised everyone goes crazy like the end of the world. It is safer for developers to keep their mouthes shut, especially with the unpredictable Apple approval process. One game goes through in a day another in 2 weeks or even more. I even remember recently that a reviewer on the front page of TA got all these negative comments for saying "release anticipated...." and when it didn't happen it suddenly was the reviewer's fault????

So what is a developer to do? I have seen some say it was submitted but then only got grief for that if it was not approved quickly or if it was rejected for some reason.

In some ways the silence was brought upon by the consumer themselves. If everyone was more tolerant instead of anxiously nagging any developer that happens upon here, maybe more information would be shared.

Surely there is a method to this madness and there must be other things to do in the meantime, no?

16. Pacificsun0481

Jul 10, 2010
    Sacramento, CA
    Here's how more developers should be...in a perfect world :0)

Not only did the Hooga (Bonk style platfomer) developer Iquilibrium, confirm Dec. 2 as their release date when asked, but 2Boy is keeping iPad owners aware and in the loop as well:

2d Boy, World of Goo (highly rated Wiiware title, as well as on pc/Mac)

http://2dboy.com/2010/11/21/world-of-goo-on-ipad-releasing-soon/

"UPDATE (11/24): We just submitted World of Goo to AppleĀ… Waiting For Review!"

17. Cilo

Cilo Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2010
    Los Angeles
    I think once you allow yourself to not be a complete product of consumerism it might alleviate anticipation for things you have no control over. This isn't to detract from what iOS has to offer, there are other aspects to the device besides games, such as music, photography, and video creative apps.

It wasn't until I did a search that I found iPhone photography forums similar to what TA offers for games. Except people are passionate and complain about unreleased photog apps lol. It's pretty interesting.

18. Epox

Epox Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2010
    Hey can you send me link to that website via PM? Sounds interesting I do some art on the side (not serious).
    Hmm wonder how many unreleased Gameloft games there are, I think its safe to assume all big upcoming games come out Thursdays

19. Osujxu

Osujxu Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2010
    One word minigore

20. Cilo

Cilo Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2010
    Los Angeles
    Very true, but I'd also like to point out that Minigore anything died when Age of Zombies was released. I had that game on my device close to two years I think, and it's completely horrid to look at now.