Universal All is Lost (by Foursaken Media)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by metalcasket, Feb 3, 2016.

1. H4nd0fg0d

H4nd0fg0d Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2010
    Hmm, after all I've read regarding the update, I may have to revert to the previous version. Shame, was looking forward to positive changes.

2. rich1574

rich1574 Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2015
    Seems Foursaken media has "foursaken" this thread

3. Foursaken_Media

Foursaken_Media Well-Known Member
    Patreon Indie

Correct... there are only 5 ranks. We actually wanted the game to have a sort of "end goal". I think perhaps the issue right now is that's not clearly established that Rank 5 is kind of "the end."

Haven't seen or heard of this... is it still happening after a restart?

Hmmm, shouldn't be! Or at least in a limited capacity. Personally though, I don't even think they're "cheat" or anything of the sort... the obstacles after an elevator just required a lot faster reaction time. In fact, we've gotten quite a bit of backlash for removing them from players who liked the challenge!

For some reason my TA subscription emails keep randomly going into my spam box >_<

4. thenightfly42

thenightfly42 Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2012
    Forsaken, I'm curious to know why you decided on the 'lives' distribution, rather than something like a lump of lives that would cover all of the people, so the faster you get the first people out, the more chances you have on the later people.

Also, I know that the 'simulator' is just a cute name for 'infinite mode', but I'd love a selector to choose the initial starting point so that I can actually train with the simulator. I'm not that good at the game, I tend to die in the 500 to 600 range. I'd like to start the simulator at 400 so I can just work on the harder part without having to work through the initial 400 each time.

5. H4nd0fg0d

H4nd0fg0d Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2010
    #85 H4nd0fg0d, Feb 16, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2016
    I personally like the obstacles before or after an elevator. Adds to the intensity.

6. Gluskap

Gluskap Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2015
    (Just reached rank 5.) If the elevator distance to end point is short then I agree. So that way, at least I could see obstacles within a half second or so and I could react. But it is not.

I think they are part of bad level design or just design choice. I'm not saying "hey look forsaken you suck lelolel", just trying to say I would do things differently.

7. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Here's a suggestion. How about some sort of "comic page" screen, could be wordless, just to show you ranked up and have been awarded something or recognized for having rescued a number of passengers off a number of ships. Then the final one is some sort of recognition from the president of the colonies or something, and then some sort of narration or writeup saying that you are considered a hero among a few, but your job isnt over yet... and then that's where you can keep playing the game without any story stuff anymore.

8. Exact-Psience

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    IMO, i think they are pretty fair. Elevator rides are "breathers" after a combination of obstacles, and it gives you time to refocus on the next ones, including one right outside the elevator doors. At first i did think they were cause of cheap deaths back in beta, but i kept playing and improved my reaction time, especially on those right outside elevator doors. Right now i am comfortable with them around, and they are really the ones that keep me on my toes even after 3 times of playing the game from scratch.

9. Foursaken_Media

Foursaken_Media Well-Known Member
    Patreon Indie

It puts more pressure on the upper level crew... those are supposed to be tough to save, and if you could save up for ex 10 lives to save a captain, that wouldn't be that much of an accomplishment. I think this way its a lot more tangible which ones are "special" to save. I'll have to talk with the guys about Simulator start points, but you're right... it is really and endless mode so that would kind of put a wrinkle in that aspect.

Yeah, I mean thats the debate... imo after you get to a certain skill threshold, it really becomes a lot easier (there are only a handful of gestures after all... and you DO have a split second of time to see the next obstacle before the elevator door opens)... but I can see how until you do get to that point, it can be frustrating.

Yeah I think something along those lines would be cool!

10. Exact-Psience

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Been playing this during breaks during this busy month. Really love how it's basically a premium reaction based game with high style graphics.

There isnt a lot of reaction based games now with this much atmosphere and graphic style. They are usually neon or basic geometric shape based art.

11. brothamannp11911

brothamannp11911 Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2011
    It is. I think itd be cool to see these assets used in a sequel or prequel... and finally get an in-space epic from Foursaken :)

Heck it could be Heroes & Castles IN SPACE and itd be just peachy :D