Universal Aliens Versus Humans (by Leisurerules Inc.)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by goiMot, Nov 24, 2011.

1. Firetruck94

Firetruck94 Well-Known Member

Jul 20, 2012
    on mars
    I was talking about onslaught.

2. Boomwolf

Boomwolf Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2012
    Texas
    IN ONSLAUGHT:

How many aliens are currently in-game?

Are the different armors visible to the player when equipped by soldiers? If not, are there plans to implement that as a feature in the future?

How do you pronounce Bo-Bo-HO....(the blue alien, lol)

How come the humans have an S1 rifle while the aliens have the S2? Shouldn't that be a strictly human weapon?

Any chance of them giving the slime ball alien it's own projectile? A green pellet or something . Seeing a alien slime fire a bullet at you is sorta...unbelievable. (I KNOW It is a silly thing to be bothered by ...)

3. Deadpan

Deadpan Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2010
    First of all, thank you for making this game! I loved the X-Coms and still have them on my laptop.

Being a bit of a completionist I'm currently working my way through the training missions and I've noticed a few issues that you may be unaware of.

1. Once you fail to get three stars on a mission it doesn't seem possible to ever get three stars.

2. If you do get three stars it displays you as getting less experience than if you hadn't, this amount is almost always 400/600 depending on mission number.

3. When a soldier gets extra HP after a mission the game treats them as if they've taken damage and you have to rest them to get their full HP.

4. Flares don't make an area visible if there's a patch of ground in front of it not visible to a soldier, even if where the flare landed would be visible to a soldier in a daytime mission.

I think that's it re possible bugs, but seeing as everyone else is giving wish lists here's mine

Demolishing buildings: Currently you can destroy the whole bottom floor of a building and the higher floors remain intact. I'd love to be able to bring down whole buildings, or at least the outside walls.

That's it for now, I hope you find it helpful. Thanks again for this awesome game!

4. runliketurtles

runliketurtles Well-Known Member

Feb 21, 2012
    That's not silly at all. If you ask me that's a pretty major oversight by the developer. :D

I'm still having a hard time with aliens shooting me far off screen. I'll end my turn, watch the Hidden Movement screen, hear shots, the game returns to my view with 2 men dead and I have no idea where the shots came from. Man, I always hear X-COM was heard, if this game is any indication they were right. And then some:)

5. aliensvshumans

aliensvshumans Well-Known Member

May 10, 2011
    Deadpan:

1. The best way to get 3 stars is to go short handed and keep your soldiers as unharmed as possible.
    2. We'll look into it.
    3. Ditto.
    4. If you throw a flare beyond where a soldier can see, the flare may not fully light up the area. It works the same way in the original X-Com.

runliketurtles:

We have submitted an update to Apple and are waiting for it to get reviewed. In it we have introduced a new entry level difficulty that you should start with.

There have been many people that have finished the game both of Easy and Medium so it is possible. I think I'm the only one that has finished the game on Hard.

Al(ien)

6. Hoot3000

Hoot3000 Well-Known Member

Aug 4, 2012
    Onslaught is a great game. I never played the original. But I have bought the new ps3 version and I still find my self playing this one even more. The only thing I have trouble with is shot percentage. I would love to know before I take a shot instead of finding better position. I haven't made it far on easy. But that is what's got me hooked. I can't wait till I figure it all out and then. When the ass kicking starts it will feel well deserved!!

Thanks!!

7. aliensvshumans

May 10, 2011
    In the update we submitted to Apple, the probability will now display in the upper right corner of the Aimed/Auto/Snap button when you touch "shoot". That should help you decide which shot to use. It considers line of sight, the weapon's probability to hit, the soldier's shooting accuracy and other factors like whether the soldier is injured (lowers their chance to hit).

Hopefully it will appear soon in the AppStore.

Al(ien)

8. Boomwolf

Sep 22, 2012
    Texas
    #128 Boomwolf, Oct 24, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2012
    How many different aliens are in the game?
    I've seen Bhodon, slime ball, Morpheous, and Mech.

9. aliensvshumans

May 10, 2011
    Boomwolf:

How many aliens are currently in-game?

There are currently 4 races of aliens, as you mentioned: slimes, bhodons, mechs and morpheus. However, there are 13 different types of alien AI across the 4 different races.
    Yes, we need more alien races. Perhaps more will come in the future.

Are the different armors visible to the player when equipped by soldiers? If not, are there plans to implement that as a feature in the future?

Not currently.

How do you pronounce Bo-Bo-HO....(the blue alien, lol)

You can pronounce it how you want. I pronounce it bow don.

How come the humans have an S1 rifle while the aliens have the S2? Shouldn't that be a strictly human weapon?

Lack of oversight I suppose.

Any chance of them giving the slime ball alien it's own projectile? A green pellet or something . Seeing a alien slime fire a bullet at you is sorta...unbelievable. (I KNOW It is a silly thing to be bothered by ...)

The slime was a late addition to the game. We were about to pull him entirely as his hitbox makes him hard to hit (he is smaller in stature than the other aliens) and we couldn't get it right. We chose to keep him but subtleties like a slime holding a weapon was missed. Maybe we'll fix this.

Al(ien)

10. Boomwolf

Sep 22, 2012
    Texas
    Thank you for replying....and if your who I think you are, I feel like a total dick now. :(

11. runliketurtles

Feb 21, 2012
    Sweet. Being able to see my shot chances I think will help a lot. Can't wait.

12. aliensvshumans

May 10, 2011
    Aliens versus Humans 2.0.2 should show up in the AppStore soon. It was reviewed/approved this afternoon and has been released.

Al(ien)

13. Boomwolf

Sep 22, 2012
    Texas
    It's out! Woot!

Maybe I can get out of the Sky Raptor Without losing half my squad now!....MAYBE? PWEASE?

XD

14. Hoot3000

Hoot3000 Well-Known Member

Aug 4, 2012
    Thanks for the update!! Fixing to give the noob lvl a shot. Lol

I seen on the update that people have beat this game !! Dang. Are there any guides or tips out that won't spoil the fun?

Thanks again for an amazing game. And awesome feedback!!

15. aliensvshumans

May 10, 2011
    You should go to the Help menu from the Geoscape. Then read the TIPS there first. If you get stuck with something, post back here.

Al(ien)

16. runliketurtles

Feb 21, 2012
    Sweet! Well, time to start over. Make fun of me all you want, but I'm looking forward to "easy" mode:) I had basically given up on the game. Seeing my shot % is also a nice addition.

17. ianpwilliams

ianpwilliams New Member

Oct 31, 2012
    Has anyone got any suggestions as to what I should buy at the beginning of the game? I've heard that the game is quite hard, so I'd like to give myself a good start if I can. But I have no idea what to buy, or how much to spend.

18. aliensvshumans

May 10, 2011
    Hi iampwilliams. I'd start on n00b difficulty (available in version 2.0.2).

At the start, I buy 6 night vision goggles (I only send 6 soldiers on a mission) and a SkyRaptor.

I usually start with my main base in North America (I'm Canadian, eh). I build a base in South America and a base in Africa. For those bases, I only buy an Access Lift and a Small Detector.

After the SkyRaptor arrives, I move my 6 soldiers to it and ditch my SkyHopper.

After this point, for all alien activity I detect, I send the SkyRaptor. This gets me over the hump from a cash perspective.

Research topics are often dependent on items being in your stores so if you haven't completed all of the research, don't sell all of something. Leave one of everything in the store so it can be researched and sell the rest. Until you have researched weapons, you cannot use them. You can choose to save the first 6 of a weapon (one for each of my soldiers) and sell the rest. Or sell all but one - you'll get more by the time you have researched them and can use them.

At least one item that you can manufacture can be sold for a profit. So you can generate cash by manufacturing this item while your engineers aren't making other stuff. I'll leave it to you to figure out what this item is.

What I've provided should cover you well between when you start for the first 2 months. At that point, your research should be well under way and you should have several new options for generating cash.

To provide an example, when I played through on n00b difficulty during testing, I finished the game in just a few game months and had 50 million in cash at the end.

If you need more help, reply back.

Al(ien)

19. virag0

virag0 Active Member

Nov 1, 2012
    sysadmin
    Sydney, Australia
    Hi, I just joined Touch Arcade to specifically discuss this terrific game. I only discovered XCom itself a few years ago, when looking for something a bit more enticing than 3D chess.
    I got my iPad in early 2010 and installed DOSpad on it and shortly after that, XCom.
    I played it like that on the iPad for months, all the time hoping a "native" version might make an appearance, then along came AvH! So, now with Onslaught, you have the base and management aspect of the game. I am still playing in Moderate difficulty and am through to November 2015. I find the best strategy for me is to maintain slow growth of everything. I played and lost several times, by going broke, missing alien incursions or completely losing a significant mission altogether. So, with your first base, try to maintain
    about ten troopers, so you get used to paying for them every month and if you lose some, you always have reserves. One good trick here, if you are short on funds and have no research currently, is to fire all your scientists and just keep one or two, until you get a research project and then hire up as you can afford it. If you leave all purchases and acquisitions till the end of the month, but before the first of a month, you can buy up
    available personnel and items as required, instead of losing any cash you have to penalties
    and going broke on the next mission or unable to buy HVY grenades. Try to keep engineers busy building stuff that has a wide profit margin, they will be a big help. When you get Research items, split your scientists between bio research (alien autopsies) and physics (weapons and armour) as you need a combination of both to gain new tech.
    As mentioned, build a few small bases that are only detectors. Upgrade detectors as you can afford it when the tech bcomes available. You may only build 8 Bases so pick points on the globe where you get the best "coverage" of populated areas, or where you can cover a whole continent. Don't forget Antarctica! I name all the bases after historical or SF sites,
    so we have Pine Gap in Australia, Roswell in the US and Torchwood in Europe (for example).
    I only have 3 bases with jumpships and troopers and only one base of those has labs and workshops. I also built an extra storeroom here, to hold all the alien items used to make gear like armour. Early on, you cannot capture power supplies, so shoot them to get some extra Alien compound. Once you can capture power supplies, they are a good source of income, but certain items cannot be bought at all and are also scarce, so watch what you sell. I always sell off alien weapons that cannot be used until researched, then I keep
    enough on hand to equip my troops, selling off the rest. I do not use teleporting much,
    but when I do, I use it to send the soldiers at the back of the queue out, so they can leapfrog the ones at the ramp, to give them more XP etc. Use a mix of weapons and be sure you equip everyone before you send them out. Then doublecheck and make sure they are all armed to the teeth! If you have a high level trooper that is wounded,
    it is often better to keep paying for them than let them go, as the XP takes a long time to earn. That is why I keep reserves ready. Don't be afraid to sell off wounded troopers with overall low stats, though, eventually you will get some good ones.
    Lastly, I keep one jumpship going at all times, with two teams in reserve. The smaller ship can go 5 days without refuelling so while you are building up, you can cover every continent this way. When you get the large detector, build it - and then remove the small detector.
    There is a wealth of tactics applicable to AvH in the UFOpaedia. Just google for it and look
    at the entries for the original XCOM. AvH is really a terrific homage to the original - all the same tactics work for the most part, but this really stands alone as its own game, too.

One more thing - keep the first slot in your game for the Geoscape (Base) progress.
    Use the other slots for your tactical missions. I save very little, only the current point
    in the game and the first turn of any mission, which makes it more frustrating, but challenging and fun. This game has taught me an important lesson:

They are here.
    They mean us harm.
    Burn everything. ;)

Remember to have fun.....

20. ianpwilliams

ianpwilliams New Member

Oct 31, 2012
    Thanks for the tips Al! It's really a great game. I'd like to think that maybe I wouldn't need to play on noob difficulty, having played PS1 X-Com a lot, and now the Xbox 360 remake, but then I have heard that this game is quite challenging!