Universal Aliens Versus Humans (by Leisurerules Inc.)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by goiMot, Nov 24, 2011.

1. aliensvshumans

aliensvshumans Well-Known Member

May 10, 2011
    You're correct about doors. We could consider making it possible to open doors by interacting with them.

Yet, there are other ways to flush out aliens from buildings:

1. Find a soldier with good throwing accuracy and throw a grenade in a window. Likely a good idea to stand well back if you try this. I've done it but some soldiers are particularly dorky and occasionally throw a grenade at their feet.

2. Throw a grenade up against the outside wall of the building, take cover and end your turn. The wall will be destroyed and on your next turn the room will be exposed and you may be able to pick off aliens inside. When you get into the "beefier" grenades later in the game, they do a lot of structural damage and are particularly satisfying.

3. When I'm bored, I'll go up on the roof of an adjacent building (if possible), and throw a grenade on to the roof of the building I want to "explore". After your first turn, the top floor will be opened up and you can throw in another grenade. You can continue until you've leveled the building to rubble (and killed aliens hiding there).

4. I personally prefer to drop a proximity grenade at the door and move on. Eventually the alien will exit the building and set off the proximity grenade which may kill them or at least hurt them so you can finish them off with rifle fire.

Al(ien)

2. cplr

cplr Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2011
    is there any way to rotate the camera in increments of 90 degrees? if not, could this be added in the future? :)

3. aliensvshumans

May 10, 2011
    We did think about this and that would be an epic feature. It got pushed down the list when everyone started asking for geoscape, bases, research, etc, etc.

Once the dust settles, we'll take a look at the list of outstanding features and see what is at the top.

Thanks for the feedback.

Al(ien)

4. aceyprime

aceyprime Well-Known Member

Apr 23, 2010
    Any plans for iPhone 5 resolution support?

5. Acidbottle

Acidbottle Well-Known Member

Apr 24, 2009
    oki, had tried to have a blast at this last night but found a few issues that prevented any fun from happening!

the biggest for me was the touch screen accuracy. clicking confirmation boxes and setting waypoints was near impossible. it simply doesnt appear to be accurate positioning to where i touch therefore im having to mash the screen in the approximate area to find the 'spot'. worse was to follow when i tried to hit the first waypoint and it sent me near but but not to the mission area. i re-route the waypoint and then sent to another part of the geoscape entirely!

with this and the less than stellar presentation (to be fair the original x-com was fairly bad to) i cant recommend it at all. perhaps its my device (iphone 5 32gb ios6) but doesnt appear others are experiencing the same issue.

in a nutshell, didnt get anywhere :(

6. lookmanohands

lookmanohands Active Member

Jul 14, 2009
    #106 lookmanohands, Oct 5, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2012
    Acidbottle, try touching and holding near where you want to place the yellow target box. Then move your finger around on the screen to finetune where you want the target placed. Also be sure to lower the camera level to match the level of the ground you are trying to target. I didn't have an issue usually with selecting a space except in tight quarters.

What I did find problematic is pinch to zoom. I can only get that to work about 10% of the time. Is there a trick to doing that?

I never played x-com to compare to, but what is here is a really cool squad TBS game. The presentation is a bit janky (I can't find any way to quit or go back to the main menu, the Onslaught/Training Missions menu, without exiting and deleting the app from the quick launch bar), but I can understand at least the graphics are meant to be a throwback to an early 90s game. I've only played a little so far but what is here seems quite deep and recommended for fans of these games.

7. FlyinJ

FlyinJ Well-Known Member

Feb 10, 2010
    Really enjoying the game, but I would really like a faster way to set a soldier up for reaction fire. As it stands now, I have to press three buttons to do it. If this could somehow be elegantly put on the main screen UI I'd be happy. It really sucks that I have to press three buttons to turn it on and to turn it off.

A collapsable menu on the right, like the one on the left bottom, perhaps?

Even having a single button to turn off or on "reserve points for reaction fire" would be nice. That way you could just turn it off temporarily if you wanted to ignore the reserve you had set on the soldier screen.

Or maybe I am missing a fast way to set this up that already exists?

8. aliensvshumans

May 10, 2011
    aceyprime, we'll be looking to add iphone 5 support really soon.

Acidbottle, have you tried to zoom into the Earth in order to touch the alien event? Your best bet is to select your base, touch the craft you want to send, zoom out, using the corners (black space around the Earth), rotate to the alien event. Zoom all the way in. Touch the alien event. We will work to reproduce on an iphone 5 to see if it is a problem only present on it.

lookmanohands, are you zooming the geoscape or during a mission? During a mission, there are 4 preset zoom levels. The usual pinch zoom gesture should "jump" between them. On the geoscape, there are two gestures. You can pinch/zoom but you can also twist the Earth to orient it. It does take some practice.

FlyinJ, you must be on an iPhone/iPod. On the iPad, we had the screen real estate to put a drop menu on the soldier's name (topright). In the case of iPhone/iPod, we agree, setting reactionary fire is cumbersome because you need to decide which of the three (aimed/snap/auto) to choose. Maybe we could try to fit it into the soldier's name as a drop menu like we did on the iPad but as I recall, it was very tight on space.

Al(ien)

9. bluewomble88

bluewomble88 Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2009
    #109 bluewomble88, Oct 8, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2012
    Congratulations on the fantastic update, it really is XCom!

However, some important suggestions....

1/ ALL THE TEXT IS IN CAPITALS. Please change it, maybe the font too.

2/ Add a "lock axis" button to the geoscape so when I rotate I don't end up with the planet upside down.

3/ Please show the number of grenades and flares available to each shoulder in the corner underneath where it shows his time units and health remaining.

4/ For each of the shooting options, please add a % probability of a hit based on the individuals soldiers abilities.

5/ On a number of occasions I have accidentally moved a soldier further on when I thought I'd selected the next one thereby using up time units. Maybe an undo function would be useful, perhaps one allowed per turn?

6/ Are there any plans to add more episodes such as Terror from the Deep?

7/ This might be pushing it but would it be doable to change the rotation from stepped 90 degree turns to free form (e.g. Like on the geoscape)?

Again, brilliant update. You could have released this as a new app and charged for it but you stuck to your word from the very start. Other devs should take note, I will be following your work closely in the future. Bravo.

EDIT: Just noticed something else. I want to ensure every soldier has at least 3 grenades and flares after a mission but I just cannot find anywhere that shows how many are available at the base. Therefore I don't know how many to buy. Am I missing something??

10. aliensvshumans

May 10, 2011
    Hi bluewomble88. Thanks for the feedback.

1/ ALL THE TEXT IS IN CAPITALS. Please change it, maybe the font too.

We struggled with and tried many, many fonts to try to get it right. Maybe we didn't :). This is a work in progress.

2/ Add a "lock axis" button to the geoscape so when I rotate I don't end up with the planet upside down.

We've heard this a couple of times and could add a lock. Did you know you can touch the screen with two fingers and twist the Earth around so it is oriented as desired?

3/ Please show the number of grenades and flares available to each shoulder in the corner underneath where it shows his time units and health remaining.

On the iPad, we do this because it has more screen real estate. You're playing on an iPhone or iPod, right? Noted.

4/ For each of the shooting options, please add a % probability of a hit based on the individuals soldiers abilities.

Where would you want these percentages to display? Maybe similar to the TU costs we display for walk cost?

5/ On a number of occasions I have accidentally moved a soldier further on when I thought I'd selected the next one thereby using up time units. Maybe an undo function would be useful, perhaps one allowed per turn?

Not a bad idea. I've thrown a grenade (or two) at my feet that I would have liked to undo...

Limiting to one per turn could avoid abuse. As a side note, we often hear that it is difficult to select a soldier that is "behind" another on the map. If you touch and hold the screen, the yellow selector box will jump to the end of your finger and you can then drag the selector to a precise location.

6/ Are there any plans to add more episodes such as Terror from the Deep?

We will be updating our website (on the updates page) about what our next steps will be on the game. Honestly, we are wading through a lot of feedback (which is great - it's what we want) and starting to prioritize trends that we see.

7/ This might be pushing it but would it be doable to change the rotation from stepped 90 degree turns to free form (e.g. Like on the geoscape)?

I'm not sure what you mean. The rotation of what?

8/ Checking stores for gear.

From the base management screen, touch "Base Info". Make sure to select the correct base along the top. At the bottom of the screen, touch "Stores". This will display everything you current have in all stores at that base. This should help you keep track of what you have.

Equally important is the "Transfers" button, also at the bottom of the "Base Info" screen. Touching this button will display what will arrive, along with the quantity and when. Use this button to remind you whether you have gear you want on the way or if you have to buy again.

Again, thanks for your feedback. Please reply back on #7.

Al(ien)

11. bluewomble88

bluewomble88 Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2009
    Thank you for the detailed responses.

The rotation: seems I got my wires crossed. I really thought the battle map could be rotated at 90 degree increments and I was asking if instead we could rotate the map freely instead. My bad.

12. Ozes

Ozes Well-Known Member

Jul 29, 2012
    First of all : Great Job putting this game together! I really like this update. It's bringing xcom back!

Some questions and points as I have been working through the game.

The goescape needs some tweaking regarding moving the globe around and rotation. It's manageable but not a breeze to move around it.

I have been getting stuck with not enough resources and would like to see if anyone has strategies. I put up 3 radars 1 large 2 small and vomplete all the missions every month but my funding is horrible and always negative and now they say that the earth is no longer going to fund me. How do I do this the right way? What kind of funding should I be getting in the beginning. Is there a way in the future to list what funding you are getting and from where do you know what to work on?

13. cplr

cplr Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2011
    Yep, the globe needs inertia scrolling, so if you quickly swipe it, it would continue to rotate and slow down over time.

14. aliensvshumans

May 10, 2011
    Ozes: You could choose to built two other bases with a small detector in each. Scrap the SkyHopper in favor of a SkyRaptor and service all three bases with one squad using the SkyRaptor (which is faster and has better range).

There is also a way to make a profit by manufacturing certain items.

cplr: We will add it to the list. We have an updated list of candidate features up on our website: http://www.aliensvshumansapp.com/updates.php

Al(ien)

15. lookmanohands

lookmanohands Active Member

Jul 14, 2009
    That's a nice list of possible updates. If I could vote on the changes I'd like to see:

• iphone 5 support - This might help with additional real estate allowing some of the below points to be possible.
    • add new easier game level - As a new XCOM player, the game is unforgiving. I constantly get sniped by off screen aliens:(
    • iphone/ipod add ability to disable/enable reaction fire directly from the battle scene instead of having to navigate to other screens - Would fix what I find to be the most cumbersome aspect of the game.
    • add the firing accuracy % per soldier for each type of shot - Would go a long way to helping my decision making in the game.

Because I was having a hard time with AvH I watched a few X-COM videos. Their experience wasn't too far off from mine:) (Though they didn't get sniped so much.) It looks like some of those listed suggestions were 'issues' in X-COM (opening doors by running through them), but I saw they had accuracy%...

16. aliensvshumans

May 10, 2011
    An update is coming soon that will re-balance funding and add a new level of difficulty. That will address the immediate issues we've heard about. We are still planning out subsequent updates to add support for iphone5, etc.

Al(ien)

17. Boomwolf

Boomwolf Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2012
    Texas
    Is there a place where we can submit our own suggestions/ ideas/ drawings/concepts etc?

18. aliensvshumans

May 10, 2011
    You can email us at our support account.

Al(ien)

19. Firetruck94

Firetruck94 Well-Known Member

Jul 20, 2012
    on mars
    Is there any cover system or ways to choose which weapons your squad uses?

20. aliensvshumans

May 10, 2011
    That depends. In the training missions, weapons are equipped differently than in the Onslaught. Which one are you playing at the moment?

During training missions, you will recover weapons that you equip prior to the mission. For the Onslaught, you'll need to conduct research on various things in order to unlock weapons. Once the research has been completed, you equip soldiers by touching "soldiers" from the base management screen, then choose a soldier from the list. Then you'll be able to choose the various weapons available. Please post back to clarify which game you're playing and I can provide a better answer.

Al(ien)