Universal Aliens Versus Humans (by Leisurerules Inc.)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by goiMot, Nov 24, 2011.

1. Boomwolf

Boomwolf Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2012
    Texas
    There are five difficulty settings, from "Noob" to "Cruel"

2. undeadcow

undeadcow Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    #242 undeadcow, Jun 25, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2013
    I know pricing and marketing scenarios are hypothetical at this point but... Why not include Player Versus Player IAP in the full edition as well? That way users who have previously purchases can just IAP from their initial edition without the hassle of keeping two versions of Aliens Versus Humans. The free mission app could be a lite/trial edition allowing people who only want to PvP and not spend more on the core game (for some reason) that opportunity while the rest of us have a "one stop shop".

Edit: ...but for the record I would prefer to IAP terror missions over PvP.

3. Pocketnova

Pocketnova Well-Known Member

Oct 15, 2012
    I really like this idea. I'd love to have the full version with just one app.

4. aliensvshumans

aliensvshumans Well-Known Member

May 10, 2011
    The metaphor we use for interacting with the battle layer is "select, action, choice". When you touch the screen, there are four things you can do with the selected cell. You can "shoot at", "throw to", "walk to" or "look at". For "shoot at" and "throw to", you have a sub menu for aimed/auto/snap (for shooting) or choosing which grenade to throw.

In the original X-Com, there were a similar set of steps. In the case of a grenade or flare, you first had to put it into your hand from the equip screen. Guns were usually equipped already when preparing for the mission while still on the ship. But in the original, you had to select the cell, then you had to select something in your hand (gun/grenade/flare) to either shoot or throw. If you were shooting, a menu came up for aimed/auto/snap requiring another click. If you were throwing, a menu came up for the options available for the type of grenade. For flares, it would just throw as there were no other options.

I think once you get a hang of how the interface works, it's actually pretty quick. For instance, after you select the cell (say you selected an alien to shoot at), you can change the soldier selection using the arrows in the bottom left without having to re-select the alien. So if your first soldier misses or doesn't kill the alien, you can select another soldier and try again.

Yes the UI is different but with a bit of practice, I find it faster than the original (although I play a lot of AvH for testing).

Here is a pro tip:

If you touch and hold your finger on the screen, after a moment, the selected cell will jump to the end of your finger. You can then drag it precisely to any cell on that level. Very handy when your soldiers are bunched up and you want to select a cell behind the soldier without selecting the soldier standing close by.

Al(ien)

5. aliensvshumans

May 10, 2011
    As Boomwolf mentioned, there are 5 levels of difficulty. However, some people have difficulty with funding even on n00b. Check out my previous post replying to VirtualBoyFreak on some starting strategies that focus on funding. If you look at the top of this thread, there is a "Search this thread" button, click it and search on the word "Canadian". There is another post from last Halloween as a reply to ianpwilliams as well that discusses starting strategies.

Usually by April (5 months into the game in game time), your funding woes are over. If you're still having funding trouble, post here or email us from within the game and I can reply to you directly.

Al(ien)

6. Bool Zero

Bool Zero Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2010
    Let it be said that i love this game but i will chime in and agree with iPadisGreat on the interface woes. I too have found the interface clunky but tolerable and have some of the same issues as he/her wen playing this game. Though I have gotten used to them over time it stands to be said that the user interface and GUI can stand some better implementation and redesign to make things work much less superfluously with the current design and implementation requiring so much fiddling around.

Its funny how I never saw this as an issue even though i did... maybe because i was just happy to play something remotely like Xcom that I was a little too forgiving? i don't know, and trust me this slight criticism is in no way a slam at an otherwise great game!

7. Boomwolf

Sep 22, 2012
    Texas

Throw in one or two new alien species as well, and I'm sold on that too.

What say you, Bovine of the Netherworld(undeadcow) ? Got any thoughts on new alien types?

Wanna see what I sent the devs? XD

8. undeadcow

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    I would be curious to see since you've developed something already.

Myself, I suggest space zombie cows... if that's not too far out.

9. Boomwolf

Sep 22, 2012
    Texas
    #249 Boomwolf, Jun 26, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2013
    image.jpg Hmmm....

I am actually uploading most of my concept work to this link in hopes of maybe getting some attention drawn to the game.

http://boomwolf.deviantart.com/

I'll upload some more later tonight probably.

10. Boomwolf

Sep 22, 2012
    Texas
    WOW, I post an image of a zombie space cow, and the whole thread comes to a SCREECHING HALT.....XD

11. aliensvshumans

May 10, 2011
    Coincidence?

Al(ien)

12. Boomwolf

Sep 22, 2012
    Texas
    Oh I hope not......how's it selling?

13. undeadcow

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    ...but what a zombie space cow it is; nicely done.

14. Boomwolf

Sep 22, 2012
    Texas
    I made it for you XD you can use it as a avatar if u want, lol.

Did u find my art page?

15. Boomwolf

Sep 22, 2012
    Texas
    *ATTACKS THREAD WITH A DEFIBRILLATOR*

So, were you guys interested in taking some of the unused tracks I made as additional content?

Or I can even make new stuff, I just got a neat program for music!

16. aliensvshumans

May 10, 2011
    Terror missions

Could I get a show of hands of people who would be interested in terror missions? They would be worked into the game such that they would work like any other mission although there would likely be several more aliens. Loot at the end of a terror mission could be the same of possibly a bit better than a standard mission.

Thoughts?

Al(ien)

17. Mene

Mene <b>ACCOUNT CLOSED</b>: <em>Officially</em> Quit iO

Mar 18, 2012
    *raises hand*

18. VirtualBoyFreak

VirtualBoyFreak Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Apr 26, 2011
    Spain
    #258 VirtualBoyFreak, Aug 21, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2013
    My hand's up too. Sounds cool.

19. Bronxsta

Bronxsta Well-Known Member

Hand raised

20. undeadcow

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Did someone say Terror Missions?!? Both myself, and what I assume to be a silent majority, would be very interested.

Please do add TERROR MISSIONS, or this guy will come after you...
    [​IMG]