iPhone Alien Frontiers

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by LordGek, Oct 5, 2012.

1. Bool Zero

Bool Zero Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2010
    #41 Bool Zero, Oct 8, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2012

/Agree

It all comes down to preference and personal strategies in most cases. If the A.I. in any boardgame played an infallible game, it would equally boring and disappointing after a few sessions. It would be akin to playing old R.I.S.K. Rules and having the A.I. play the Iceland strategy everytime...

In any case A.I. is the hardest thing to program in any game still today (hence why we have made leaps and bounds in the graphics and audio department and still find ourselves underwhelmed by challenge in most games without developers playing cheap and tipping the scales). This games A.I. Is competent enough, and at the end of the day what anyone really wants is to play against other people. Throw some online (Async and vanilla) multiplayer on top of the (personally) much appreciated local pass and play and this would be a near perfect implementation of the game in my eyes, barring my minor quibbles!

2. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    I understand there are limits to how bright an iPad AI can be (it ain't got the processing power of Big Blue), but I don't agree with:

1) Really all people want from an AI is a good foil, like some Bond villain, who only pretends to put up a good fight but will let you win most games in the end (paraphrased from Dev himself on BGG).

2) AI is nothing but a trainer for hunting the deadliest prey, man (paraphrased from Bool Zero).

I personally want the best AI possible within the limits of programming resources and the iPad's processing power as I still do a majority of my gaming solo (like when at work and out of wi-fi).

3. neumannium

neumannium Member

May 8, 2012
  4. sizzlakalonji

sizzlakalonji Moderator

Apr 16, 2009
    Indiana, USA
  5. Mythbuster

Mythbuster Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2008
    Journalist
    In the middle of nowhere
  6. Misguided

Misguided Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2009
    #46 Misguided, Oct 8, 2012
    That would (presumably) be David Neumann from the iOS gaming blog on BGG, one of my favorite stops on the web. He and Brad are supposed to have a review up some time this week, and I'm sure they will comment on the AI. I'm with Tim, though, I mostly play boardgames solo (and don't buy games without AI).
    http://boardgamegeek.com/blog/164

7. sizzlakalonji

sizzlakalonji Moderator

Apr 16, 2009
    Indiana, USA
    That makes sense, but I sure hope it's still a Seinfeld reference.

8. neumannium

neumannium Member

May 8, 2012
    It is the same Dave Neumann from the BoardGameGeek iOS blog.

And, yes, it is a Seinfeld reference :)

9. PapaT

PapaT Well-Known Member

Nov 22, 2011
    UK
    Just played a 4 player game with interesting results. Pirate won with me second, Spacer third and Admiral last! Very strange.

10. LordGek

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    So maybe all of these claims of the toughest AI being a joke have some validity and it is the third tier Pirate AI that will give a player a good run for their money? :p

11. Grudunza

Grudunza Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2012
    That's my experience, as well. The Admiral and other AIs are chumps, but the pirate can be tough and is the only real challenge.

Great app, though.

12. DotComCTO

DotComCTO Well-Known Member

Feb 17, 2009
    Chief Technology Officer
    Westchester County, NY
    Clint made a couple of posts on BGG that you might want to check out:

Thoughts on the AI
    http://boardgamegeek.com/blogpost/13761?commentid=3240737#comment3240737

A more detailed overview of the AI implementation
    http://boardgamegeek.com/article/8057566#8057566

At least you'll have some more insight into Clint's decision making process as well as the AI's.

:cool:

--DotComCTO

P.S. There are a LOT of posts on those pages so it will take a moment or two to render the page and move to Clint's posts.

13. LordGek

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    Thanks! I understand he needs to first deal with his KickStarter promo fiasco, but hope making subtle tweaks to the AI can be done as he works on his Async Multiplayer stuff.

14. PapaT

PapaT Well-Known Member

Nov 22, 2011
    UK
    Well - just played another game with the same set-up and this time Admiral won with me second (again) Pirate third and Spacer last, which is I guess what you would expect.

My conclusion would be - given that I have never played the actual board game and have only played 5 games with the app is that the AIs are OK but really need beefing up to provide a long-term challenge.

15. DotComCTO

DotComCTO Well-Known Member

Feb 17, 2009
    Chief Technology Officer
    Westchester County, NY
    I think it might be useful if, via PM to Clint, someone like you could point out some of the tweaks you'd like to see. The AI-related posts I've seen so far are lacking in details and high on whining.

;)

--DotComCTO

16. cplr

cplr Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2011
    #56 cplr, Oct 8, 2012
    actually.. Deep Blue peaked at 11.38 GFLOPS in '97. According to this article, the iPhone 5 A6 GPU gets around 25 GFLOPS - but that's just the GPU. Deep Blue was using something similar to a GPU by using parallel processing. AI uses the CPU, which gets around 700 MFLOPS on the A6 (you can test this with the free Linpack app in the App Store - make sure you enable multithreading). Until Apple puts OpenCL or something similar in iOS, AI will have to be calculated on the CPU. Still though, 700 MFLOPS would be considered a super computer back in 1993.

basically, we're almost there!

17. Drakeer Melkhor

Drakeer Melkhor Well-Known Member

Aug 28, 2010
    Freelance
    Spain
    I bought this game after reading Clint's post in BGG. :(

The game is amazing, really simple rules and you just need to play some games to realize what everything does in the board. I would say this game is one of the best games I have that give me the feeling of playing a real board game, so congratulations!

Now I would only want online games AND the expansion as IAP PLEASE!!! :p

18. Misguided

Misguided Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2009
    Brad Cummings from the BGG iOS blog posted his review: http://boardgamegeek.com/blogpost/13911/ipad-review-alien-frontiers

He was in a tough position here, trying to evaluate the game for both beginners and experienced players. When you watch the review, it doesn't really sound like it was a game he would give 3/5 to. I was kind of surprised he felt the barrier to new players was so high (I haven't played it yet, though).

This one is on my rainy day list and I'm sure I will pick it up at some point.

19. LordGek

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    It reminds a bit of Ghost Story in that it sort of feels like they just throw you into the thick of things but, after a game or so with frequent checks to the detailed documentation, you'll be up to full power by your second or third play through.

20. Drakeer Melkhor

Drakeer Melkhor Well-Known Member

Aug 28, 2010
    Freelance
    Spain
    Maybe it doesn't make sense to you guys, but I liked the idea of not having a tutorial ingame, because it felt like a real boardgame when I started playing it. I had to watch a youtube video and read the manual like if I bought the real thing, I don't know maybe I miss to buy real boardgames lately! :p

PS: Online game and expansion ASAP please! :)