iPhone Albion Online - cross-platform medieval sandbox MMO

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by mr.Ugly, Feb 28, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vane

vane Member

May 5, 2009
    England
    Any more news and on this ambitious mmo?

2. Unfrozen

Unfrozen Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Apr 11, 2011
    Canada
    I have seen a few articles on Albion Online covered on Massively. They say its due out this fall. I am looking forward to a really good MMO for iOS that I can play on my Mac for long gaming sessions using the same character.

3. empa

empa New Member

Jul 22, 2013
    Hey guys!

My name is Empa (Or well in reality it is Emil) and I'm one of the team members for Albion Online, we would love to hear about your impressions and ideas for the game as well to answer any questions you may have, feel free to reply on this thread or pm me directly and i'll get right back to you

Best regards
    Empa

Also we just got onto mmorpg.com which we are incredibly happy about http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/958/Albion-Online.html

4. vesp67

vesp67 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2012
    What ios devices will it support?

5. Almy

Almy Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2009
    Is this pvp similar to what Dark Ages of Camelot was doing?

6. empa

empa New Member

Jul 22, 2013
    for iOs we have reccomendations of iPad 2 and higher

Hm, no not really, Dark Age of Camelot focused of pre defined factions PVP while in Albion Online our focus is more of the player made factions/guilds PVP where guild A may capture area X and guild B may attack that area and take over it, however we also have open world PVP where people can fight each other on most parts of the world (more info about that will be released)

We however will also have some form of NPC factions which players can join and fight for which is meant for those people who are more interested in solo or who prefer a more casual approach to the game.

However many of the developers did play a lot of DAOC and you will probably find some stuff that may be inspired in one or anther way by that game ;)

7. Lost_Deputy

Lost_Deputy Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2013
    Venue Manager
    Sydney
    It's looking good so far :)

Is it FTP or premium?
    Any updated ideas on a release date?

Thanks Emil

8. Wizard_Mike

Wizard_Mike Well-Known Member

Mar 17, 2011
    Texas
    From the first post:

9. Lost_Deputy

Jan 27, 2013
    Venue Manager
    Sydney
    Yeah got that. I've just seen a few devs change their tune when getting further into development. As its been so long since we've heard anything I was keen to see if anything had changed on that front :)

10. Wizard_Mike

Mar 17, 2011
    Texas
    Ah, I gotcha. Their new page on mmorpg.com mentions it being free to play, so it looks like they are still on track with that.

11. Lost_Deputy

Jan 27, 2013
    Venue Manager
    Sydney
    Ok cool. Thanks mate :)

12. grenadedodger

grenadedodger Well-Known Member

Jul 6, 2010
    Manchester, UK
    Loving the art style and the idea for this game. My instinctive pessimism makes me worry that this will be a troll fest though with permanent death and the ability to early unlock items with money...

13. Dhal

Dhal New Member

Jul 24, 2013
    Hey guys, I've been given the opportunity to alpha test this game and they have since given permission to post screenshots and videos from the NDA.

Here is what a siege is like, taking over another guilds tile. Just one small aspect of the game. Their Facebook and Twitter is pretty active. The development of this game has been impressive compared to others. They have corrected some major bugs and issues live, without taking the servers down, to name one thing that won me over with the engine they're using.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5MJ0tgZD7q8

14. Unfrozen

Unfrozen Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Apr 11, 2011
    Canada
    Thanks for the video. It looks like a daunting process to conquer a tile from another Guild. Which I find a good thing, I wouldn't want a territory to be so easy to take that it required constant guarding.

The crafting system looks straight forward. I love how this is going to be a player based economy and they encourage guilds to specialize, such as producing items for other guilds that may be more focused on battle. I believe I read that guilds were going to be small, only up to 4 players right? That's to prevent massive zergs levelling everything.

15. Dhal

Dhal New Member

Jul 24, 2013
    I'm not sure if there's a cap on the actual guild itself. There is a cap however, on how many people can join the siege. It is up to 5v5, but as you can see in that video we only had 4 people online and still did ok.

That guild had a siege on us 2 hours after that, we wanted to check and see if we could do a counter siege sooner, and they had a time slot chosen for 2 hours prior to the one they put on us. You have to call the siege at least 6 hours in advance, and the other guilds have to keep an eye on the listings (must check within 6 hours of the windows you picked) and 5 people have to sign up for the fight. If you don't have 5 people on, you can also enlist mercenaries outside of your guild. We were just better prepared that fight, after they were killed several times they ran out of gear (which honestly doesn't take that much to get once you have the buildings built, to make it).

Where you will still run into issue with zergs is in the contested areas of the map, outside of the tiles. This is where you need to go to get the higher tier resources, and guilds will attempt to get these places on lock down. Right now the testing is controlled so there's a limit to how many of us from each guild are in the game, I can imagine once that's different the more lucrative areas will still be controlled by the most active guilds. But that mini map is just one cluster, and there will be many, many clusters. Some will have PvP dungeons.

16. empa

empa New Member

Jul 22, 2013
    Would just like to weigh in a little about the sieges, 5v5 is the current norm in earlier tests we tried with 10v10 but thought on our normal sized areas that it became a bit too hectic.

Many things are bound to change on that front and the whole siege mechanic is still in a very experimental stage an just about every test we alter it and try new ways how to promote a active and fun siege system, and try to find other ways guilds can fight between each other.

Of course we have many ideas and thoughts on these points, but i am not allowed to disclose such stuff, but as we continue our development we will hopefully have a lot more to show :)

17. Wizard_Mike

Mar 17, 2011
    Texas
    Someone call The Doctor so I can hitch a ride to the future in the T.A.R.D.I.S. so that I can play this game NOW. Heck, I'll even squeeze into the phone booth with Bill and Ted, if that's what it takes...

This game looks like it's going to be awesome!

18. PresidentZer0

PresidentZer0 Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2012
    Mfi controller?

19. SteveWD40

SteveWD40 Well-Known Member

Jul 21, 2010
    This game is now in a close Alpha (I think it's just on PC for now), this video gives a pretty good idea of how it will play:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xgii3ILs-cI

Force is a solid broadcaster, I watch his Hearthstone content a lot.

As far as this game looks, there is nothing even close on iOS imho, it looks to be something in the vain of old school Ultima Online with the art style of Everquest Next. There were no obnoxious "buy more!" pop-ups as usually seen in f2p content either. The fact it has to survive on PC as well means it will probably avoid all those tropes.

20. Ayjona

Ayjona Well-Known Member

Sep 8, 2009
    Freelance journalist and writer, amateur musician
    Stockholm, Sweden
    #40 Ayjona, Sep 17, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2014
    While the game itself looks really interesting, this is a very strange claim. Vendetta Online runs on iOS, Android, Mac, PC, and Linux, and I wouldn't be surprised if there are quite a few others out there to boast the same compatability.

This is a sentiment I come across every now and then, and it surprises me every time. The PC is littered with freemium games that badger users to invest real-world funds, just like iOS, pop-ups and timers and paywalls of the most aggressive kind. And (perhaps sadly), many of them do quite well, just like on iOS.