Airport Mania 2: Wild Trips

Discussion in 'Mac App Store Games' started by Julio Gorgé, Jan 25, 2011.

1. Julio Gorgé

Julio Gorgé Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2010
    Managing Director at Lemon Team
  2. MikeSz_spokko

MikeSz_spokko Well-Known Member

May 27, 2009
    Airport Mania was the very FIRST game I bought on my iPod ! And still - one of the very best

I really hope the sequel will come to iOS soon

3. mgford11

mgford11 Well-Known Member

Sep 30, 2010
    ...but why does it cost so much more than the iOS version? Are we paying by screen size again?

4. Julio Gorgé

Aug 19, 2010
    Think of it the other way: it's not the Mac game being expensive, it's the iOS versions that are extremely cheap :)

5. mgford11

Sep 30, 2010
    The precedence has already been set; Mac AppStore devs, such as yourself, have no foundation to stand on when asked why the Mac AppStore version costs so much more. As an owner of your iOS games, I find it hard to justify paying 7x more to play the same content, but on a larger display device.

6. Julio Gorgé

Aug 19, 2010
    #6 Julio Gorgé, Jan 25, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2011
    The Mac App Store pricing is in line with the prices of other casual games at other online stores such as GameHouse, BigFishGames, Steam, etc.

You have to consider that these games are released *first* on the PC/Mac, where games do not sell in such big numbers as in iOS. Still, making a quality game costs lots of $$$$, and even at $6.99 many good games nowadays have a hard time recouping development costs.

Successful PC/Mac games usually end up being ported to other platforms such as iOS many months (or years) after release. At this point, the devs already made a profit on the desktop versions, so they can afford to set a lower price point for the mobile versions, despite having to sunk some money on the port itself as well.

Not that all of the above applies to Aiport Mania, but you get the idea. If devs priced their PC/Mac games at $.99, they'd go broke and you'd never see iOS adaptations.

7. mgford11

Sep 30, 2010
    I appreciate your comments on the subject and I look forward to the time when developers realize they're exposure for potential earnings is much greater when their pricing allows them to move 10,000 units @ $1.99 vs 4000 @ $4.99.

Until then, I look forward to Airport Mania 2 on iOS.

8. ataloss

ataloss Well-Known Member

#8 ataloss, Jan 25, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2011
    Sheesh... there's always one... :rolleyes:

...and having bought this, I can see there are a number of differences (some may say in terms of additional content) when compared to either of the iOS versions.

I'm enjoying the mac version. I wholeheartedly recommend it as it has some different mechanics, along with new content.

[​IMG]

So. If the price is too high, then bye :) Thanks for your contribution in helping people decide if this is a wise purchase.

9. Julio Gorgé

Aug 19, 2010
    Well, I think mgford11's point of view is valid, after all, the iPad and PC versions of Airport Mania 1 are almost identical in terms of contents (iPhone one, not so much), so it's OK to wonder why don't they cost the same. Then again, there are reasons why pricing varies between platforms.

It's also completely right to wait until the iPhone/iPad version is released if you prefer to play on the touchscreen. Hey, I too have skipped buying 1 or 2 games on the Mac because I preferred the 'touch' experience and the lower price of the iPad versions!

Also glad some people are enjoying the Mac App Store version already :)

10. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    Hey JG,

-Is the PC version already out?

-What are the new gimmicks over Airport Mania 1?

-Does it have any sort of NSF mode built in or are the planes' order randomized?

Thanks in Advance!

11. Julio Gorgé

Aug 19, 2010
    Yes, the PC version is out too! I suggest you download the PC or Mac demo and see the features for yourself at www.airportmania.com. No random / endless mode, though. Airport Mania: Non-Stop Flights on iPhone and DSiWare (released yesterday in the US) is still the only AM version with an endless mode.

12. MikeSz_spokko

MikeSz_spokko Well-Known Member

May 27, 2009
    JG - if I buy a version for Windows, can I somehow get a promo for a Mac ? Or the other way round ?

I really enjoyed the iOS version and I'm sure to grab that one too, but I'd like to see the full game as well and not be limited to the OS...

13. Julio Gorgé

Aug 19, 2010
    Unfortunately there is no way to buy AM2 on PC and get it on Mac too (or viceversa), sorry about that. Also Apple is not providing developers with promo codes for Mac App Store apps yet.

14. Squeaker

Squeaker Well-Known Member

May 31, 2009
    Bookland
    While I have no issue with the pricing, I really think these games shine with touch controls. Portability is added bonus. Loved Airport Mania, will definitely be getting the iOS sequel at launch.

15. CRiMeOnTiMe

CRiMeOnTiMe Member

Oct 25, 2009
    Any news on the iOS Version?

16. Julio Gorgé

Aug 19, 2010
    Targeting late summer.

17. CRiMeOnTiMe

CRiMeOnTiMe Member

Oct 25, 2009
    Now that´s what I call a fast reply. Thanks for the info.
    Can´t wait that long. I´m going to buy it on the Mac App Store even though I prefer the touch controls on these kind of games.

18. CRiMeOnTiMe

CRiMeOnTiMe Member

Oct 25, 2009
    Just now I saw the iOS version and bought it. Great!!

Will there also be a HD version for the iPad?

19. Julio Gorgé

Aug 19, 2010
    Yes, an iPad version is coming in a few months.