Universal AiRburst (by Strange Flavour Ltd)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Zwilnik, Sep 19, 2018.

1. Zwilnik

Zwilnik Well-Known Member

#1 Zwilnik, Sep 19, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2018

AiRburst

Strange Flavour Limited
    Pop Pop Pop! Strange Flavour’s classic Mac hit AirBurst is finally on iOS and it’s coming to your real world in AR! Gu…
    $1.99
    Buy Now
    Media
    Details
    Pop Pop Pop! Strange Flavour’s classic Mac hit AirBurst is finally on iOS and it’s coming to your real world in AR! Guide your bat to deflect the deadly bursters and avoid getting popped out of the sky. Grab the powerups to change the game and boost your chances. Charge up your unique Extreme power and use it to tip the balance and pop your opponents! Play against your friends in shared AR (‘accidentally’ bumping them so they miss a hit can be a handy tactic if you don’t do it too much ;) ) or play as any of the four characters in single player mode. • Single player game with 8 different characters, each with their own unique Extreme power. • Up to 4 players over a WiFi LAN with a shared AR experience. • 5 Different game modes, including Classic, Deathmatch and Espresso! • Literally millions of levels, generated by the game’s combination of powerups. Every level plays differently. • Unlock levels as you progress and start at any level you’ve previously won. • Look Mode control - Your bat turns to wherever you’re looking with your iOS device. • Introducing the new “Spinny Chair” mode. Play from your office chair or wheelchair and simply spin around to control your bat! • Also has Button Mode control for the AirBurst traditionalists and Touch control options. • Includes the Punk Pop Classic “Pop Pop Pop” by Abdoujaparov! More game modes and characters coming as we update! (and all updates are of course free)
    Information
    Seller:Strange Flavour Limited
    Genre:Arcade, Family
    Release:Sep 19, 2018
    Updated:Nov 19, 2018
    Version:1.1
    Size:143.7 MB
    TouchArcade Rating:Unrated
    User Rating:Unrated
    Your Rating:unrated
    Compatibility:HD Universal

2. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    Picked this up for nostalgia’s sake. Not sure if it can be played in non-AR mode. Will report.

3. Zwilnik

It can't *yet* (the priority for this version was the AR mode) but we'll be adding in non AR modes (as well as all the other game modes & characters) as we update, along with the Mac and Apple TV versions.

4. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    Awesome, thanks! Spent a lot of hours on this back in the day.

Zwilnik likes this.
  5. Zwilnik

Great stuff! We're going to be picking the first of the game modes to try and get in on the next content update so let me know if you've got any favourites :)

6. Zwilnik

Something odd I've noticed about the post. The App Info tag seems to have failed to get the game name and is showing O instead.

7. Adams Immersive

Adams Immersive Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Dec 5, 2008
    Freelance interactive design and programming
    Ohio
    Awesome to see Airburst back! Looks like I can’t buy without iOS 12, but as soon as I update I will for sure.

Zwilnik likes this.
  8. Spudboy

Spudboy Well-Known Member

May 28, 2012
    Insta-Buy!

Zwilnik likes this.
  9. Ubisububi

Ubisububi Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2009
    California
    $1 with no IAPs for a beloved classic?!? How can we NOT buy this on principle alone?

Zwilnik likes this.
  10. Zwilnik

The price will go up after a while. Essentially we could only afford to get the primary game (and first 4 characters) in for this build and do the RocketCat Games thing of increasing the price when we do major content updates (we've got all the AirBurst Extreme and AirBurst 360 characters to go in as well as all the game modes).

Early adopters get the cheap price as a thank you for helping jump start the project and doing it this way means we don't have to do IAP for more content (I don't personally have anything against IAP when done right, but it's not for this game).

11. Zwilnik

#11 Zwilnik, Sep 22, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2018
    Just working on a quick point update (mostly so I can fix the typo in the App Store subtitle ;) ).
    There's a couple of features I've added, but this doesn't count as a full feature update, so no price increase yet ;)

Firstly, the old ability to tap (or use the Extreme Button) to use a little of your Extreme power to give yourself a little nudge forwards is in (assuming your power meter isn't full, otherwise it triggers your Extreme Power).

Secondly, there's a new, multiplayer AR specific feature, which is kind of the reverse of the first. If you've got some power built up on your power bar, instead of using it to give yourself a nudge, look for the Player Info disc that hangs off another player's phone in the camera view. If you tap that, it will bump them instead, giving them a nudge backwards, ideally into a bunch of bursters or a nasty powerup :)

Hopefully this one will be in by Monday as I'm away for the rest of the week, having been in near non-stop crunch mode the last few months.

[EDIT] Just got word that the update's approved, so should be showing on the App Store

12. Zwilnik

We’re working on a big content update for AiRburst at the moment with more characters and game modes. Plus a minor rewrite of the UI (mostly to cope with all the new characters and game modes ;) ). It’s also going to have a funky new control mode that gives you a whole new angle on playing AirBurst ;)

In the meantime we’re running a couple of giveaways on our Facebook and Instagram pages (and a twitter one soon) where you can win the whole set of Strange Flavour games by posting an AiRburst screenshot.