Universal Air Supply - SOS (by Quantum Sheep) "Jeff Minter Meets Jetpac"

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by PeteOzzy, Sep 24, 2014.

1. quantumsheep

quantumsheep Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2009
    The Head Cheese, Top Dog, Numero Uno Honcho, Quant
    London
    Ok, let's discuss the level breaks!

They're in for a multitude of reasons (which I believe are good reasons, but your mileage may vary!).

I did write a huge essay, but deleted it as it was very rambly and a little incoherent. So I'm going to go with a perhaps less quantifiable line of argument which is 'it felt right!'

The original Jetpac had the landing and take-off bits, and I wanted to keep those in!

I like the anticipation of jumping out of your ship when it lands - it just feels 'right' to me!

Others have said they like the take of/landing part, especially when you hit aliens on the way up/down. It's just kinda cool I think!

Breaking the game up into 'waves', I think, allows for shorter play sessions. You can play a wave or two while waiting for the bus ;) (but you can also play for ages too!).

It also helps with your feelings of progress I think. Maybe I have a short attention span, but playing through a level for half an hour before getting the 'level cleared' reward sounds rather dull. I'd rather reward players more often.

It's a bit like a puzzle game. You beat the level and get a progress report, and then can carry on or stop. Think something like 'Where's my Water' or 'Peggle'. Or most games, actually!

And it shows you how much of each thing you need to get to unlock something new. Which is handy!

Also: The Mothersheep likes to talk. Lots!

Some people here have opined that these breaks aren't really needed early on, but are useful later. Having them in from the beginning, and hopefully being useful from the start, means that they're consistent throughout the game.

I hate to even say that it's breaking up the flow. I personally don't think it really does that.

To be fair, I may be misunderstanding the feedback you're giving. If you look at games 'in general', you beat a level and get a progress report (how many stars you've got, or your score, or something like that) and then you go to the next level.

Let me know what you think!

QS =D

2. cloudpuff

cloudpuff Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2013
    lazy layabout
    uk
    #102 cloudpuff, Sep 28, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2014
    You said what I was trying to say but much better.

I have played for at least four hours today, going from the 50s to the 70s (which are brutal lol) and i honestly feel that if I had to clear several waves at once I wouldn't have played so much, as much as I love your game to pieces I don't think I'd enjoy it as much if it took me an hour to advance to the next stage, which is what would happen at those higher levels, it took me 40 mins and god knows how many tries just to clear wave 67, but the level cleared page made it worthwhile as I felt I'd achieved something, if that was only a part of a level I'd have quit as it would be too long. I think on balance having the level clear screen has less impact on players who don't like it than the impact it would have on players who do like/need it at later levels. Hope that's not a bunch of gobbledygook

The more I think on it the more I think it's perfect as it is.

I've got my nephews thoughts on it if you want them?

3. quantumsheep

Jun 5, 2009
    London
    #103 quantumsheep, Sep 28, 2014

Blimey! You're a trooper! :D

I'd *love* to hear what your nephews thought! One of my fave things ever was showing one of my friend's five year olds Air Supply Infinite and seeing him grin like a looney (or just as a five year old does - no idea) and have fun even though he didn't completely get what you had to do!

Bring it on!

QS =D

4. quantumsheep

Jun 5, 2009
    London

W00t! Worth killing all those nasty alien scumbags for I see! Awesome! :D

The thing with the perks is that I hope that people will try them out and see which ones help them the most. The ones you've mentioned, for example, might be useless to someone who runs out of air too much or can't handle UFOs without difficulty!

I hope there's something fun/useful for everyone.

And great high score! I love that you can get stupidly big scores like that personally (it was a bit of a reaction to Flappy Bird in that way!) :D

QS =D

5. Qwertz555

Qwertz555 Well-Known Member

May 22, 2010
    #105 Qwertz555, Sep 28, 2014
    Nice !

Beaten 34 waves with the same perks as you and got 3.1 mill. Next try with
    "old men's perk +2 air". Maybe i can compensate by beating level boss 40.

Edit: had to look at the dictionary what a wuss is...lol

6. Lazer Kat

Lazer Kat Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2013
    #106 Lazer Kat, Sep 28, 2014
    I don't think you should have to clear several waves at once.
    I think the waves should be there still, but not a full menu you have to tap between each one.
    A simple "wave xx cleared' pop up that allowed the player to tap anywhere to advance, and an auto save would be a better option, IMO. But of course it isn't my game, I'm just the player....

7. quantumsheep

Jun 5, 2009
    London
    It's all good - I appreciate that you care enough to write about it! :)

8. Qwertz555

Qwertz555 Well-Known Member

May 22, 2010
    Sorry to report a bug, i guess, at least on my device (iphone5s, latest 7 version). Unlocked
    floppy birds secret missions
    and pushing gets me a white shield saying: press to go back. But the whole screen is frozen and i have to restart the game. Tried it three times. Also, it says placeholder level in the spectrum...no mission yet ?

Honestly, i care more about a working Gamecenter but i wanted you to know asap.

9. quantumsheep

Jun 5, 2009
    London
    Oh blimey!

You seem to have discovered something I put in during development and should have taken out!

Thanks for pointing this out - I'm going through the game today for an update, and this really helps!

Well done on catching the sheepy out! My wool is a faint red colour with embarrassment!

OR:

This is a top secret mysterious message found by the Second Great British Empire - Wulf Sinclair reminds you to keep it to yourself while agents are sent to investigate!

Your choice ;)

QS =D

10. rIcHrAnDoM

rIcHrAnDoM Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Nov 17, 2008
    Steelworker/Welder
    Indiana, USA
    #110 rIcHrAnDoM, Sep 29, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2014
    Hope the GameCenter fix is coming soon, I can't wait to see who is astronomically better than I... This game really is an arcade delight.

Not that I'm one for cosmetic flair but this looks fantastic in its own little folder :D

Attached Files:

11. quantumsheep

Jun 5, 2009
    London
    Rich, I've been feeling a bit down and out today, so this is such a lovely pic to see!

Honestly, it had me smiling lots!

Thank you!

*sheepyhugs*

:D

12. rIcHrAnDoM

rIcHrAnDoM Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Nov 17, 2008
    Steelworker/Welder
    Indiana, USA
    If you only knew how much I've played all three today...you'd have to charge me for them again, I've been getting that much enjoyment out of them :) I'm also working on a really detailed review for SOS to submit to the US AppStore.

13. quantumsheep

Jun 5, 2009
    London
    That is so awesome \o/

I really appreciate that! So far, there are four reviews in the UK (which if you've written one - ty! They're all awesome!).

There's none in the US store. I like to think people are too busy playing the game to leave a review! :D

So, if you can, please do leave a rank/review in the US store. I encourage you to be honest - you're talking to potential new players of the game. Point out what you like AND what you don't like.

And if you don't fancy leaving a review, please take a sec just to rate it! Again, be honest. Dock it a point if you have to due to no GC yet. But do leave a rank if you can!

QS =D

14. Jerutix

Jerutix Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2009
    Male
    Ministry
    Oklahoma
    Just so you know, for the handful of us who got early release codes, we aren't able to leave reviews (unless something's changed in the last couple of months). The policy makes sense, but it's a bummer for situations like this.

Still love it!

15. Andy C83

Andy C83 Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2010
    Over the Rainbow
    I just wanted to say that I feel bad that I haven't been able to make a gameplay video of Air Supply - SOS. In fact I did make a video but I'm not sure if it's a bug with iOS 8 or what but Reflector just isn't working properly for me anymore.

I had plans to make an epic gameplay video and put it on YouTube and maybe start some kind of high score competition in the hopes of raising awareness in the game. I feel like I've let you down somehow, sorry.

16. quantumsheep

Jun 5, 2009
    London
    Thanks!

Yep, I was well aware of the policy before I gave you the codes - and I think it's a great policy - you can't swap free games for reviews.

I think Apple got it absolutely right there! :)

While I appreciate all that, there is no way on this Earth I will ever think you, or anyone else that has supported me, have ever let me down!

So stop it!

I look at all the other cool games on this board/site and feel like a complete fraud sometimes.

And if anything, I've let myself down by not being any good at marketing/getting the game out there.

All you guys have done is believe in me, support me, encourage me, and give me sheepyhugs.

Please, don't ever feel like you've let me down. Ever! You really, genuinely, haven't.

*sheepyhugs*

QS =D

17. Duke12

Duke12 Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2013
    Offtopic but dont you ever sleep or is it sheepy thingy so you dont have to? # "sheepyhugs"

18. quantumsheep

Jun 5, 2009
    London
    I don't sleep. I wait.

:D

19. cloudpuff

Sep 12, 2013
    lazy layabout
    uk
    #119 cloudpuff, Sep 29, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2014
    @rich. Rich your folder is almost spookily the same as mine. The icons look great on a black background. I've also been revisiting the other titles today.

I've had a very productive day, I've got no housework done, no packing for holiday done, no preparation for dinner or any of that trivial stuff, but it doesn't matter since I beat all 100 hundred levels Woot Woot. I've unlocked all the colours, perks and characters, just have some tracks left. I'm messing about with perks now and seeing which ones will help me chase Andy et al up the boards.

Living colour is awesome as is Brian, makes it feel like a whole new game..

Wish I'd held off redeeming the code though as I'd have been able to leave a review. I got swept away in my excitement to play. I'll hassle my nephews for their iTunes details and leave a review on their account.

Edited grrrrrrr my picture won't post.

20. cloudpuff

Sep 12, 2013
    lazy layabout
    uk
    Hope image shows.

Attached Files: