Universal Air Supply - SOS (by Quantum Sheep) "Jeff Minter Meets Jetpac"

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by PeteOzzy, Sep 24, 2014.

1. Jerutix

Jerutix Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2009
    Male
    Ministry
    Oklahoma
    Still loving it! In fact, loving it more than my first play. This game is growing on me. Unlocked the second of our illustrious forum members a minute ago, so that was exciting! :D

2. quantumsheep

quantumsheep Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2009
    The Head Cheese, Top Dog, Numero Uno Honcho, Quant
    London
    Thank you for those kind words. I never expect 'big' sales - but the validation part is really important to me.

I won't go on about being an old selfish sheepy and wanting to leave something 'good' behind in the world as a form of immortality. I will, however, say that genuinely I appreciate all the kind words - it's lovely :)

John's a great writer - I think people enjoy his reviews because he writes from the perspective of a player - which is how I try and make my games!

I think, alas, that Apple has ignored this one (same with Infinite before it). While it's disappointing, I never rely on getting featured because the odds are so stacked against it happening!

Which makes you guys far more important to me than Apple - which, really, is the way it should be, right? :)

Thanks again, everyone - I'm chuffed you're enjoying the game! :D

QS =D

3. quantumsheep

Jun 5, 2009
    London
    That's awesome!

Have you notice the smart bombs 'talk' if you let them touch a platform/ground?

:D

4. Jerutix

Jerutix Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2009
    Male
    Ministry
    Oklahoma
    Yeah! I actually just saw that in my last session. You, sir, are quite clever with the humour. British spelling, just for you.

5. Planetshooter

Planetshooter Well-Known Member

Damn, this is an overload of awesome. I'm so glad people are loving this game, because it's a game all about love. And, you know, slaughtering millions of aliens to save fluffy space sheep.

And someone liked the Arcadelife review - my work here is done :)

6. nightc1

nightc1 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2012
    AL
    Eeked my way up to level 12. Good stuff. What happened after the first boss, great.

I love discovering cool stuff in games like this.

7. roorooroo

roorooroo Well-Known Member

Dec 24, 2010
    Having oodles of fun with this game.
    I was one of the original Speccy owners (waited 18 weeks for it to be delivered back in 1982) and actually owned more games than the local games shops..racks and racks of the little blighters..Jetpac was among my favourites (together with DragonTorc, Avalon, Manic Miner, Atic Atac, etc etc etc).

Kudos to you for making a FUN game like this one!

Toodle pip!

8. quantumsheep

Jun 5, 2009
    London
    You mean 'Correct' spelling, right ;)

I really love the Smart Bombs - because they say something different on every level. And they don't appear on 'every' level - so you can play the game the whole way through and still not have seen everything they say.

I will say that it's mostly film quotes that seem to fit, though - including some from Dark Star (which inspired the talking bomb idea!) :D

Thanks, and thanks again for the review - was an awesome read!

Someone said on Twitter that they like the fact you had to carry the sheep to the ship.

I said they liked being carried, but they got a bit nervous.

Because of that exchange, it's officially canon that the sheep get scared and hold their breath when being carried - if they're not carried, they breath normally and their air supply goes down.

Which is what happens in the game now - I love how people can inspire me to new heights of silliness :D

I'm glad you liked the bit after the boss! You'll be glad to know some of the upcoming perks actually affect that section of the game as well!

But I'll leave you to discover how for yourself :D

I hope you guys continue to enjoy the game! If you have any questions, or need help with anything, let me know!

I am mentally and physically knackered though, and I've hardly moved! How does that happen!??

QS =D

9. quantumsheep

Jun 5, 2009
    London
    Sir roorooroo - this game was made for you!

Because it was made for me! And we are the same! \o/

The first games my brother and I bought for our Speccy were Jetpac (him) and Tranz Am (me).

I loved them both dearly! My brother not so much at the time ;)

But to finally get this out has been fantastic on very personal levels, and I'm glad people like it!

(also - the next game could be a riff on Tranz Am - could be fun!)

I think you'll find a lot to love in the game as you progress - hope it always makes you smile like no-one's watching :D

Thanks for your kind words! Any questions/observations, let me know!

Toodles!

QS =D

10. roorooroo

roorooroo Well-Known Member

Dec 24, 2010
    hehe..showing our age a bit eh Mr Sheep? ;)
    My first Speccy game was the Breakout game on the included Horizons tape..
    I remember Tranz Am very well..I wish Ultimate-Play The Game were back to making brilliant games again.
    Best of luck selling lots of copies of your game Mr Sheep..will be keeping an eye out for your next effort!
    Enjoying all the little details you kindly included in this one so far..Mr Sinclair would be smiling i am sure.

Toodle-oo

11. rIcHrAnDoM

rIcHrAnDoM Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Nov 17, 2008
    Steelworker/Welder
    Indiana, USA
    #51 rIcHrAnDoM, Sep 25, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2014
    Okay, not for the first time, Apple reviewers have completely and utterly pissed me off! How so they select some of the poop that they feature yet pass by such a lovely game as this?

Hopefully TA has your back QS ;)

12. quantumsheep

Jun 5, 2009
    London
    #52 quantumsheep, Sep 26, 2014

TA has my back. I've got you lot! :D

And the big guys upstairs at TA have been very generous so far putting this game in the 'coming up' and 'out today' section on the front page - that was lovely :D

As to Apple - I really like Apple. But they get 1000s of games a *day* - some unfortunately slip through the cracks.

It happen, but overall they've been pretty nice to me. And I wasn't *expecting* to be featured (for the record, I did send an email asking about the possibility) so no harm done :)

Thanks for your enthusiasm though! Like I said, I've got you lot! *sheepyhugs*

Ah yes - I'd forgotten DK64 had Jetpac in it - that's a pretty great story! :D

I read recently they'd released Jetpac on the Windows phone - just the pure game. Which is great, but it's unlikely to officially appear on iOS any time soon!

*coughs*

Yerzmyey is away in Japan doing a gig at the moment - when he gets back I'll have a chat with him and see if he wants to do an official soundtrack.

I'm not sure he sees anything not made for the Speccy as 'counting' though! How hardcore is that?

If he's ok with it, I'll set up some specific links to the songs here for you :)

Everyone keeps saying 'follow the sheep' like it's a bad thing ;)
    I'm very happy you're not disappointed - and if you like the Breaking Bad nod, there's plenty of 'pop culture' references sprinkled throughout the game :)

The Jetpac levels are actually an option that unlocks when you get to level 90 I think. It'll appear on your option screen and will 'lock' all platforms across all planets into place in true Jetpac style, change your rocket, and the sheep to 'fuel'.

Then you have to select the right character ;)

Oh, and then choose the right colour :D

It's there - you just have to earn it!

Thank you. I find the most alarming thing you mention is that you play your own music!

WHAT IS THIS MADNESS???

Yes, I'm an old-guard sheep - and I'm sure we have a lot in common with regards to Clive's rubberised wonder! :D

*beeps*

Right - today has been knackering but I think I've caught up with you all! Hopefully hear more from you tomorrow!
    QS =D

13. PBSNellie

PBSNellie Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2013
    Southern CA
    Ill be looking for them. However, my over-50 year old reflexes aren't what they used to be LOL! Ill have to get better at the game!

14. quantumsheep

Jun 5, 2009
    London
    Don't forget the perks!

You get a new perk for every 60 sheep you rescue! Yay! Benefits!

The first one is called 'A little breather' and it'll increase your Air Supply by 2 :)

This might help offset any... er... any perceived 'imbalance' due to age based reflexes. Though I'm sure it's all in the mind!

As you collect more sheep you'll unlock more perks that might help too, so please do bear with it!

Hope that helps!

QS =D

Edit:

The only downside with perks is that if you want to continue, you can't change the ones you've selected. If you restart from the start of any planet though (by pressing 'start' instead of 'continue') you can change them up to your heart's desire!)

15. coolpepper43

coolpepper43 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Aug 31, 2012
    On the toilet
    Downloading now! :D

16. quantumsheep

Jun 5, 2009
    London
    That's awesome! Thanks! :D

*bites hooves waiting to hear what you think*

:O

QS =D

Edit: For the sake of clarity, I refer, of course, to my *own* hooves. I have no idea if you have hooves or not. Thanks! Bye! :D

17. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    As what seems to be the norm these days, I'd been drowned in work yesterday and thus couldn't partake in the celebratory release of Air Supply SOS. :(

If anyone "new" (to TA and/or Quantum Sheep games) is reading this, you can already see by skimming through this thread that this is a fantastic, fantastic premium (no ads, no IAPs, no bullshit) arcade game with some of the best music EVAR~! (that AppSpy comment plastered the biggest frickin' smile on my face), made by an absolutely wonderful individual (that just happens to be a sheep :3). If you enjoy games that are both challenging and fair (you're CONSTANTLY unlocking stuff), you'll absolutely dig this little gem. Not to take anything away from the previous Air Supply titles, but this is easily the best one of the lot. :) Absolutely recommended.

Oh, and regarding work...I'm glad this has already been covered in the thread, but I came back home last night expecting to hit the App Store and find Air Supply SOS under Best New Games...but instead, lo and behold...tons and tons of freemium garbage. Fantastic. Fan-****ing-tastic. :/ Maybe I'll have to resume throwing rotting carcasses at Apple now. :(

18. Anotherkellydown

Anotherkellydown Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Bronze

#58 Anotherkellydown, Sep 26, 2014
    I woke up at random, an hour and 15 minutes before my alarm went off and bought SOS after reading through the last few pages of the thread. Only got past wave one after 3 tries, but I know I'm gonna like this game. One of the most entertaining threads for the new releases this week :) And one of the more interactive and humorous developers I've seen recently.

Guess I'll try to get a little more sleep before I have to get up for the day. Looking forward to as many play sessions as I can squeeze in at work today ;) Enjoy everyone, and thanks for all the impressions!

Edit: I didn't go back to sleep. I played Air Supply - SOS :D Yep - it's awesome. Made it to wave 2 or 3 past the first boss.

Quick question for QS, and apologies if you already answered, but has an update been submitted to fix Game Center connectivity? Thanks!

19. Qwertz555

Qwertz555 Well-Known Member

May 22, 2010
    Don't panic on the Sheep-tanic !

Everything is fine and out of the seven songs, Naguru is my favorite. Wondering if there are even more tracks to unlock...worth alone the price.

That's what i do with all my games, finding out if it's possible at all.
    I'm not always in the mood for 8bit sounds, which fit perfectly for games but doesn't scratch my taste in my real music universe.

Edit: Yesterday on my starting screen it said "dangerous" today "deadly" with the same highscore of 1.8 mills/level 33. No idea where i'm at on GC...

20. kioshi

kioshi Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2011
    Brazil
    Jetpac reminds of my childhood (the ZX Spectrum was my first computer) so yeah I'm getting this now.