Universal Air Supply - SOS (by Quantum Sheep) "Jeff Minter Meets Jetpac"

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by PeteOzzy, Sep 24, 2014.

1. benn

benn Member

Sep 25, 2014
    I do love the 70s arcade style graphics in this game.

2. quantumsheep

quantumsheep Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2009
    The Head Cheese, Top Dog, Numero Uno Honcho, Quant
    London
    You should *hear* it.

Actually, if you watch the vids, you can hear some of the music :)

3. quantumsheep

Jun 5, 2009
    London
    #23 quantumsheep, Sep 25, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2014
    Ok, so catching up on the first page with multi-quotes in epic essay sheep style before bed! I'll look at page two when I wake up (coming up to 7am here :O)

Sir! You'll make me blush! Thank you for the kind words! I really hope it doesn't disappoint! :D

That's a really good question. Here are my thoughts (few though they are because getting SOS out was a struggle for me and I was concentrating on that!)

1. I would like to do a bundle at some point.
    2. I'll probably do a bundle early next year if I'm honest.
    3. Ideally I'd like to release an AS bundle in about a year - maybe even longer. But the reasoning is a bit silly. I'd like to make a 4th game to include in the bundle and call the bundle 'The Air Supply Trilogy'. It's a Douglas Adams thing ;)

Please don't ever feel bad! And I hope your friend likes it :D

It's available now! :D

I'm interested in the American view of the game. We had this discussion in the previous thread about the differences between UK and US retro.

In the UK we had 8bit micros like the ZX Spectrum and the BBC Model B. In the US I believe it was more the NES and the Master System.

So I find it interesting that people in the US are really into/love Megaman, for instance. I never grew up with those games so never got 'attached' to them (but I've played them since and they're fun!).

I grew up with the ZX Spectrum mainly - I LOVE that computer. Yet most Americans I know have never heard of it. There's a literal avalanche of software (about 24k titles!) that the US doesn't really know about.

This game is based on Jetpac on the Spectrum. That game was made by 'Ultimate Play the Game' - who later turned into 'Rare', who I'm sure you've all heard of ;)

So it's interesting to me. Because I think the game works for UK players thanks to Nostalgia. And for US players it works because it feels new to them.

And then of course you have the younger players who don't remember any of this! :D

If you play the game, I'd sincerely love to hear your thoughts! :)

Thank you sir! That's a great and generous summary! I'm chuffed you find it fun! :)

Thanks for the kind words! The game's out now, but just to stoke that VB vibe for you a bit more:

[​IMG]

:D

There's some great games out this week, so I appreciate that compliment so much! Thank you :)

This is kind of an SOS to those that don't like IAP and Ads - I don't believe in them personally! :)

Marry me!

;)

QS =D

4. Andy C83

Andy C83 Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2010
    Over the Rainbow
    I'm way too young to know about Speccy and Commodore things but I have played Jetpac before. It was in Donkey Kong 64, you had earn 5,000 points in Jetpac to earn the "rareware coin" which was required to beat the game.

Who knew that some 15 years later I'd be playing an homage to Jetpac on a device like the iPad Mini? Wow.

5. Lazer Kat

Lazer Kat Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2013
    Soundtracks amazing =
    Link to download, purchase, etc?

6. nightc1

nightc1 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2012
    AL
    Ok, got this... Going to give it some time but given my first home console was a generic pong setup, I think I'll be right at home here. I've played some spectrum games in more modern times. Closest to it that i owned was the TI-99 4/A.

7. PBSNellie

PBSNellie Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2013
    Southern CA
    Of course, my TA Forum regs did me right again. I just followed them like a sheep (!) and downloaded this solely based on their raves and dev participation. I am not disappointed. Im not sure I will wait for a bundle to inspect your previous games…Great game!!! And love the nod to Breaking Bad.

8. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    On level 20 odd at the moment, some levels are exciting as anything, one more sheep to get but running out of air, i zoom down to go into the rocket but die at the last second ! But this game really has the 'just one more try...' addiction

I'm dying to unlock the JetPac levels later on !

9. slamraman

slamraman Well-Known Member
    Patreon Gold

Aug 27, 2011
    me too - dying to see the JetPac levels. Even though I can see them on YouTube or play on Spectaculator I really want to unlock them here.

10. Qwertz555

Qwertz555 Well-Known Member

May 22, 2010
    Same here, but i already "pushed the buy button with my other eye".

In short: brilliant and addictive game...as usual from QS (imho) !

Yeah, Gamecenter is messed up as well as the in-game menu. The music volume will be set back after re-starting the app. Playing my own music works as long as i don't save the game. Otherwise i hear both. Also, the horizon/stars on/off are back to default again. Absolutely not game breaking stuff, just needs a little update.

Good luck QS with your release !

11. quantumsheep

Jun 5, 2009
    London
    Blimey! Thanks all for trying it and your kind words!

I'll reply to you all, but I just woke up (it's nearly 3:30 - PM :O) and I need a cup of tea and a bite to eat!

In the meantime, here's a hands-on look that went live today:

I hope that gives people a better idea of what the game's like!

Cheers,

QS =D

12. Duke12

Duke12 Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2013
    #32 Duke12, Sep 25, 2014
    Is that different version cos in my game sheeps are silent? Or is that for first level only thing, cant remember

13. quantumsheep

Jun 5, 2009
    London
    Nope! All versions are the same - the 'talking sheep' (which I really love personally) are there on the first four levels of the game.

They essentially act as a tutorial so you know what you have to do!

Right, I have to eat! And respond! And stuff! Back in a bit! :D

QS =D

14. quantumsheep

Jun 5, 2009
    London
    Ok - so here's page 2 replies - and a timely reminder for Cygnet Seven :)

That's very kind! Danke! :D

I. SAW. :O

That's awesome! I always thought that games folders on a phone were like little houses where all the games lived - it's awesome that my games exist as a little family on yours! Thanks!

I bet they drink lots and lots of tea :D

\o/

Well, to be fair, I just made a game. You buying it for others seems much kinder and generous :D

Remember to add the closing quotation marks! :D

Cheers,

QS =D

15. nightc1

Oct 19, 2012
    AL
    #35 nightc1, Sep 25, 2014
    Gave the game a try. Got as far as the first boss. Really this is a pretty awesome little retro arcade game. I know it's themed on Jetpac obviously, but I spent more time with Joust (released a year earlier, and it seems a big influence on Jetpac's creators) so that's more of what I'd compare it too. Flying around, collecting stuff with fixed platforms in a single room... this is good stuff.

16. quantumsheep

Jun 5, 2009
    London
    Oooh! Thanks for that! Someone else I know thought of 'Joust' first too - I didn't actually realise that was made before Jetpac (and I have limited experience of Joust - but people do love it!).

So hey! You learn something new every day!

I'm very glad you like it. My brain is a bit, er, 'wrong', so I have this weird thing going in my head where:

1. I hope people give the game a chance and I try and promote it.
    2. When someone *does* bite, my first thought isn't 'Yay!' but 'Oh no! I hope they don't hate it!'

It's crazy - I'd like more people to play it but I'm terrified when people *do* play it!

Which is why I'm incredibly sincere and appreciative when someone just 'likes' one of my games. The sense of relief is overwhelming :O

It must be a medical condition or something, right?

QS =DD

17. nightc1

Oct 19, 2012
    AL
    As long as people go into this expecting a more retro gameplay first style arcade game in the vein of Joust & Jetpac, then they should walk away pretty happy (especially once the GC fix is implemented).

You've made a fine game and a lot of the people here that already love this from playing it early and whatnot, are some of the best iOS gamers I've come to know over the past few years. I mean of these people are the ones that put the serious time into games and rank high on the leaderboards because of it. They are the real gamers... or the vocal minority as some like to call us.

That's no guarantee that'll add up to big sales, but if you are looking for some validation that what you've made is good... you have that by the truck full. :cool:

18. quantumsheep

Jun 5, 2009
    London
  19. nightc1

Oct 19, 2012
    AL
    That review is pretty spot on! So weird to read a review that reflects my feelings so well.

This bit was really well thought out...

"This is not Jetpac through rose-tinted specs, this is Jetpac’s hyperactive great-grandson pogo jumping all over your rose-tinted specs and partying hard with recreational pharmaceuticals."

20. slamraman

slamraman Well-Known Member
    Patreon Gold

Aug 27, 2011
    great review - and i have to agree with nightc1 on Joust too. Man, I loved Joust too. Spent way too much time on Joust and Defender when I was a boy. So hoping this gets on the Hot New Games on the AppStore.