Universal Air Supply - Infinite (by Quantum Sheep)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by quantumsheep, Nov 15, 2013.

1. quantumsheep

quantumsheep Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2009
    The Head Cheese, Top Dog, Numero Uno Honcho, Quant
    London
    I am really sorry - soon as I got this 'live' on my device I updated and started playing to make sure my corrections were in.

That's when I found issue :(

Like I said, I'll be updating today and asking Apple for an expedited review to get it out ASAP.

If you play with Game Center OFF it should play as it did before (with hopefully the previous 'standing still' bug lessened).

It's definitely confirmed Game Center as the culprit though. Baaaah.

Sorry for the inconvenience, rushing to fix it!

QS =O

2. cloudpuff

cloudpuff Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2013
    lazy layabout
    uk

Oh balls!!!!!
    I updated straight away lol.
    I'm not pissed off as you can see you are trying hard, there are plenty of other stuff I can play while I wait for a fix. Hope you don't get too many angry messages etc.

3. slamraman

slamraman Well-Known Member
    Patreon Gold

Aug 27, 2011
    No probs at all. Was just pleased to see the update. Good luck.

4. quantumsheep

Jun 5, 2009
    London
    Some might say I'm *very* trying!

Sorry, I'm trying to stay upbeat about this. I mean, you have to laugh - update to fix bugs - make the game worse than before! Good going Sheepy!

The game's sold about 150 copies, so a silver lining - the number of angry messages has a small limit!

Thanks for your kind words!

Thanks, and sorry for the hassle - I've found the problem and will be testing/sending out today with a note to expedite the review and get the new version into your perfectly manicured paws as soon as possible!

QS

5. cloudpuff

cloudpuff Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2013
    lazy layabout
    uk
    If it makes you feel better it happened with another game yesterday, update came out to fix random crashing which then made the game unplayable as it wouldn't load and crashed every time, the fix was there within 24 hours though so hopefully Apple will rush it throughor ya.

6. Andy C83

Andy C83 Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2010
    Over the Rainbow
    Makes you wanna punch a sheep.

7. quantumsheep

Jun 5, 2009
    London
    Oh sure, hit a sheep while he's down why don't you!

;)

8. quantumsheep

Jun 5, 2009
    London
    Hey all, just a quick update!

I've spent all of today fixing the game, and I'm hoping it's all good to go.

Just sent it to Apple. I'll now write to them and ask them to expedite 1.2's release in light of the problems 1.1 is having.

Hopefully it'll all be fixed soon :O

As an aside, and by way of some small apology, I've decided to make one of my Mac games free till the update goes through.

You can find it here: https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/dotmatrixx/id481691880?mt=12

Please do give it a go if you can - it's an older game of mine, but one of my faves :)

Thanks again everyone for your patience, and sorry for the drama!

QS =D

P.S. - if you don't have a Mac, I'm working on a free text adventure for Mac and PC, so there's that to look forward to! :)

9. slamraman

Patreon Gold

Aug 27, 2011
    Top man - gutted about 150 copies though. I'm going to gift to a few people at Christmas.

10. quantumsheep

Jun 5, 2009
    London
    That's very kind, thank you - I hope they like it! :D

Too many games are made simply to make money. I like to make games I enjoy, and hope to make lots of people smile.

150 sales is disappointing for sure, but I blame no-one but myself. I suck at marketing. It's just not me. I just want to make games, and to make money, if I can, in an honest fashion.

I'm not sure if I mentioned it earlier in the thread, but a developer who's a hero of mine sent me some messages about the game. He really liked it!

These were unsolicited - I send him promo codes for all my games, and usually just get a 'thank you' - this time he was very kind to write back with more detail, and he really really liked it.

I'm afraid I'm a bit of a sensitive soul. When I saw what he'd written, I broke down and cried a bit.

It was a huge moment for me. It cemented my belief that I can make reasonably fun games for people, and that I wasn't wasting my time. That all the effort is worth it...

I appreciate those that have tried my game out. But that one experience is worth a lot more than 150 sales to me :)

Thank you all for your support and your patience - it really means the world to me!

QS =D

11. Wow, only 150 sales? So sad considering this is a classy buck app. Really too bad.

12. slamraman

Patreon Gold

Aug 27, 2011
    If it was Jeff Minter, I'd have had a moment too.

13. quantumsheep

Jun 5, 2009
    London
    Phew! Updated!

Hey all, hope you're well!

You'll hopefully have updated the update by now and seen that you can play the game again!

PHEW!

In the interests of transparency, here's what's happened:

The first update was designed to do two things:

1. Post your furthest run to Game Center more often.
    2. Lessen the chance of getting 'stuck'

The first point was supposed to be helped by adding a 'post score' instruction to the buttons 'Menu' and 'Retry' when you died.

As you may have noticed yesterday, the game crashed if you tried pressing those buttons.

As a result, 1.2 has those instructions removed. Does this mean the game still won't post the score?

Not quite - I've put in a new bit of logic that says when you die, if your score is better than your best score, post that score to Game Center.

What this means is that if you beat your highest run and then die, it *should* post the new run to GC.

On the second point, I did a bunch of tests and I'm pretty certain that I've lessened the chance of your character of choice getting 'stuck'.

I'm not saying it's 100% fine (I thought I'd squashed the bug before release for example) but I changed some condition around and *think* it's all sorted now. At least it will lessen the chance of it happening from what I saw (waiting to be proven wrong!).

The crashing is still an issue I'm looking into - to re-iterate, this seems to be happening most when you press the 'i' button then try and start a new game.

Will update you soon as that's under control, and will of course keep updating with any other issues brought up!

Thank again everyone! I can breathe a *little* easier now that the game functions better!

Cheers,

QS =D

14. Hey, thanks for putting so much effort onto the game, we all appreciate it.

15. Planetshooter

Planetshooter Well-Known Member

Loving your work, QS - as always!

How many other devs would put that much effort into not just dealing with a couple of minor bugs but coming on here to explain in detail what has been going on and apologise to players?

You deserve every single bit of praise and gratitude that comes your way.

16. JCho133

JCho133 Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    This is probably the best thing I have ever read on this forum.

And with Connector's and EP's praise, how could I not get this! I'll be back soon :)

17. JCho133

JCho133 Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    Erg sorry got sidetracked. I'll be back tomorrow!

18. quantumsheep

Jun 5, 2009
    London
    (sorry in advance - I really do tend to ramble!)

Hey Cloudpuff - missed this comment in the bout of anxiety and panic I was rushing through.

I appreciate the kind words!

Thank you! You're very welcome!

That's very kind. I see no point in being mysterious about what's going on! I'm a gamer too, and like to think I treat other people like human beings (or as fellow gamers at least!).

My first thought when the original update went through and it caused all sorts of problems was 'S**t! I've let everyone down!' - it really hit me hard.

I saw a couple of people had bought the game on that same day, and I felt TERRIBLE about what their first impressions might be.

I'm really thankful to my Apple Overlords that they got the fix out less than 24 hours later!

Treating people like human beings is SO important! Not just when you're selling something, but you know, 'in general'. Some people forget that, especially on the internet where we are all faceless.

So many people have tried to make money off me (advertising, marketing 'courses', paid for reviews, even stealing my games etc) and it just seems so very sad that this is the focus of so many people. More so when it's obvious they have zero interest in you as a human being, or in what you've created, but more as a way to make money for themselves.

I just really love making games that other people might enjoy!

I know this is a business. I'm not allergic to money. And right now I'm not doing so great because I'm sticking to my own set of ethics that means I won't try and screw people over, or be dishonest, and there's a simple, human, and fair aspect to it:

"If you pay me once, I'll give you something fun to play and won't try and bleed you dry for extra cash."

I have a lot of respect for you, Planetshooter, and a few other writers too on other sites, because you treat me like a human being.

And the same goes for people who email me with praise or criticism, or respond on these forums. You lot are not a faceless mass to make money off. You're the people who have a real interest in games, and want to play something fun.

I try and provide that fun. And as a Sheepy, I appreciate that opportunity!

I really really hope you enjoy the game! Sorry about my long posts, I do tend to rant/ramble a bit!

Thanks everyone!

QS =D

19. Andy C83

Andy C83 Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2010
    Over the Rainbow
    I managed to transfer my Air Supply - Infinite game data from my iPod Touch to my new iPad Mini using iFunbox and wanted to share my joy. :D

Looking forward to playing on my new device. :)

Thanks for being awesome, QS.

XOXO

20. slamraman

Patreon Gold

Aug 27, 2011
    Happy New iPad, AndyC83.