Universal Air Supply - Infinite (by Quantum Sheep)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by quantumsheep, Nov 15, 2013.

1. Andy C83

Andy C83 Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2010
    Over the Rainbow
    #61 Andy C83, Nov 17, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2013
    I missed out on playing the first Air Supply, it was released before I started to regularly check the TA forums. Going through that game's thread, it was definitely a forum favourite. I'll be buying that game once I've unlocked everything in Infinite.

Out of curiosity, is Air Supply - Infinite the prequel that you mentioned in that thread? And I also saw mention of an Air Supply 2. ;)

2. I accidentally bought the first one, and it is really good fun, though it isn't universal, but definitely a very good game.

3. Planetshooter

Planetshooter Well-Known Member

I spent many happy hours addicted to Air Supply - 1 bit Run. The hook to keep unlocking all the stuff and raising your (Elite style) rank is perfect, the same as it is here in AS-I. For runner fans, that first Air Supply game was much more of a traditional horizontal scrolling runner, just done really, really well.

4. quantumsheep

quantumsheep Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2009
    The Head Cheese, Top Dog, Numero Uno Honcho, Quant
    London
    That gives me time to update it for ios7 :D

Infinite *isn't* the prequel. The prequel is called 'Air Supply - SOS', currently iPad/Mac only, and is in a very playable form on my hard-drive, but a lack of art is holding me off finishing it right now :(

I have 100 levels planned and the basics are in there, but I need a megaton of alien types. Some I can re-use from previous games, which will definitely place it in the same universe - but as a gamer I want to show people new stuff too! :D

So I'm a bit stuck on that right now :(

Air Supply 2 is a platformer that will come after SOS. Then there's a couple more Air Supply games I want to make.

Thing is, I'm not EA, and I don't plan on releasing the same game year after year!

I'm also not a fan of just sticking the air supply game mechanic (in that it goes down all the time) into every genre under the sun. Not without serious consideration of what that means and how it would work!

I love this game universe, and I love making these games. So I will certainly be making more! They're all in my head. I even have most of the soundtracks already sourced (and they sound awesome)!

I'm also seriously thinking about making an Air Supply card game too - not a videogame representation of one, but an actual physical card game. Though that's still in the early planning stages. Also: No soundtrack for that one! ;)

But I like making other games too - I'm working on a text adventure right now, as well as a standard one. And I have 100 other ideas in my head screaming for attention too.

It's just me though making these games, and they take a long, long time.

Thank for the interest though - it's certainly something I like talking about!

QS =D

5. Andy C83

Oct 20, 2010
    Over the Rainbow
    #65 Andy C83, Nov 18, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2013
    Well, that all sounds incredible. I'm very new to the Air Supply universe, but there's something about it that speaks to me. I grew up exclusively playing Nintendo consoles and Air Supply - Infinite to me has a Nintendo-like charm to it. Your enthusiasm and humbleness is also really quite sweet; I really hope that you get to do all that you want to with these games. And whether it's a platformer, text adventure or board game, we'll be along for the ride. Even if I have to buy an iPad to play SOS. ;)

I'll leave you with a quote from the MC made in the Air Supply - 1 bit Run thread, quoted indeed for truthfulness:

6. quantumsheep

Jun 5, 2009
    London
    That's really very kind of you!

I noticed the review you left on the app store - thanks very much for that!

All the reviews have been pretty positive, even the one that points out, quite rightly, that the game can be a little unstable!

I'm very grateful and amazed that people care enough to actually write a few words about my games! Thanks all!

As to your Nintendo remark, I happen to personally believe that Nintendo makes the best games in the world, so that's a great compliment, thank you! My design heroes are Shigeru Miyamoto and Jeff Minter. A nice mix I think!

And thank you for the support. My games will always be a bit niche, and they never sell very well, alas. I'm awful a the 'business' side of gaming. I just do this because I love games, and I love putting a smile on people's faces or just plain surprising them!

It's also why I really dislike adverts in games or In-App-Purchases which is a very old fashioned (retro? :D) way of thinking I know, and a topic for another thread I'm sure!

Today and tomorrow I will be looking at the 'running on the spot' bug and a fix for the GC leaderboard posting as well as a few others I've noticed!

The crash bug may take a little longer to work out, apologies, but I wanted to get *something* out to you ASAP.

As an aside, does anyone know if you're allowed to post reviews here from other sites? I did that here for previous games till a particular Moderator (who's no longer here) took a dislike to me doing it for some reason and gave me a warning... :O

Many thanks all!

QS =D

7. Duke12

Duke12 Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2013
    You can post reviews as long as they are links and not copied if ive understood correctly.

8. Andy C83

Oct 20, 2010
    Over the Rainbow
    I remember posting another site's review of Lords of Midnight in that games thread and luckily I wasn't reprimanded. I've since checked the rules and it does state that posting reviews from other sites is a no no. Links are fine, as is a short excerpt from the article, but not the whole thing. :)

9. quantumsheep

Jun 5, 2009
    London
    #69 quantumsheep, Nov 18, 2013
    Thank you both - that's how I understood it too, thanks!

I guess that mod just didn't like me!

Well then, here's a link to the first Infinite review!

http://arcadelife.wordpress.com/2013/11/17/air-supply-infinite-review-ios-universal/

*hides*

QS =D

10. Bronxsta

Bronxsta Well-Known Member

@Planetshooter - you're the author of ArcadeLife? Awesome, that's one of my favorite sites. You do great concise reviews

11. Planetshooter

Thanks Bronxsta, that means a lot - but I'm not allowed to talk about that site on the TA forums due to their "no self promotion" clause, which I respect and understand.

Thanks to QS for linking the review, which I couldn't do for the above reason.

12. Andy C83

Oct 20, 2010
    Over the Rainbow
    #72 Andy C83, Nov 18, 2013
    Yay, a deserved 9/10 from ArcadeLife! Been looking forward to John's review and he didn't disappoint. Sheepyhugs, indeed. ;)

I've so far unlocked Sam, Gert and John's stories (yeah, I'm hooked). But, to be continued?! Man, you are evil. :D

Attached Files:

13. Planetshooter

Great score Andy! - I've got some catching up to do! I should at least unlock my own character's story and I feel like I've let the whole planet down by not yet achieving that...

14. quantumsheep

Jun 5, 2009
    London
    Funny - the mod that had an issue with me said I couldn't link to other sites as it was self promotion. I argued that yes, it was me promoting me, but surely I did that as soon as I posted about the game itself...

It didn't wash. Curious...

That's a great score. I was really worried when the game was being tested because my scores where always way way ahead of everyone else. Understandable as I'd made it, but now it's in the wild I'm seeing lots of high scores! PHEW!

As to the 'To be continued...' I mentioned before that I had a few Air Supply games in my head... I figured tying this game into them somehow would be a nice bit of continuity!

I just need to get them out of my head and onto a screen now!

You'll be glad to know I think I've fixed the GC bug. Or maybe you'd rather I didn't? ;)

[​IMG]

Next is the running on the spot bug, then lots of testing and sending it off to Apple - hopefully it'll go through quickly in time for the weekend.

Who knows... maybe I'll throw in another music track too ;)

I'll also be looking at the original Air Supply this week as well, and updating that to at least make use of the bigger iphone 5 screen if all goes well!

Thanks again everyone!

QS =D

15. Would it be really hard to make the first game universal, too? Really digging that old game.

16. quantumsheep

Jun 5, 2009
    London
    I will certainly look into doing that! The top priority is to get it ios7 compatible first.

Making it Universal for iPad *could* mean I have to re-do all the graphics again in a larger size. While they're Retina for iPhone, they weren't made to be Retina compatible with iPad.

It'll just take time to do, and as I mentioned, getting it ios7 ready is first priority!

Hope that answers your question!

QS =D

17. Planetshooter

QS - Let me know if you want me to test a "fixed" version for the running on the spot bug. Happy to help out, as always.

Also - random crash during a pretty good run, happened when I picked up a shield, no idea if that actually caused the crash somehow or if it was a coincidence. It hadn't crashed before on a shield pick-up.

18. quantumsheep

Jun 5, 2009
    London
    *looks up from screen*

*sees it's almost 1am*

Leave me be! I AM WORKING!

(also, thanks for the offer of testing the update - will have something on testflight soon!)

Cheers!

QS =D

19. Andy C83

Oct 20, 2010
    Over the Rainbow
    Challenge accepted. :cool:

That would be great as I'm on an iPod Touch 5th gen. Thanks for everything, it's really appreciated. :)

20. ROGER-NL

ROGER-NL Well-Known Member

May 21, 2012
    Male
    Gamer.
    THE NETHERLANDS
    Bought this game on Andy's recommendation and it's very addictive, gonna play some more tomorrow, good luck with your game.