Universal Air Supply - Infinite (by Quantum Sheep)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by quantumsheep, Nov 15, 2013.

1. quantumsheep

quantumsheep Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2009
    The Head Cheese, Top Dog, Numero Uno Honcho, Quant
    London

Crikey!

I actually tried it in Landscape mode when I was making it, and decided it didn't quite work.

If you look at how the game's set out, you get plenty of notice of where a pickup/alien will arrive because there's more space above and below the planet than to the sides.

It also allows UFOs to appear above you and use their tractor beam.

If you played it in landscape mode then the UFOs wouldn't fit, and you'd get a lot less warning for hazards/pickups.

To make it all fit I'd have to shrink the graphics down, which would mean the majority of play space would be empty and you wouldn't really be able to see all the detail in the graphics.

Additionally, it's a lot harder to make it run in both orientations. I effectively have to do everything twice, then compensate for 3.5 inch screens and 4 inch screens as well a iPad.

The game was designed specifically to be a portrait game - mainly because there aren't many around, and I had commuters in mind when I made it - standing on a crowded train, just one hand free, but still able to play a game! :D

I'm not saying I won't consider it, but as a feature request it's currently very very low on the list.

No! I had the same issue with the original Air Supply game, and one of my favourite reviews of that was:

2 Stars - Crazy Hard right from the start.
    Did not hear one single song from Air Supply while playing this game.

Awesome! :D

Please leave an honest review if you can - even just a star rating would help!

Yeah - I looked at level 22 and couldn't see a connection other than the retro look.

Catch 22 looks lovely though - I hadn't seen it before, but can certainly see a resemblance!

Hello old friend! Have you played the game yet? :)

I will let Yerzmyey know! Thanks very much for the kind words and nice one getting a high score like that! GC should update next time you play - I find that if I get an achievement for example, and I'm not connected, it updates it when I'm next connected! It *should* work the same for high scores - let me know if it doesn't work, and I'll look into fixing it :)

Thanks everyone for the input, it's very much appreciated!

QS =D

Edit: post #42 - awesome \o/

2. Lazer Kat

Lazer Kat Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2013
    Will rate on app sAtore, when I decide what to give it (spoiler: it will be at least a 4/5).

The graphics would fit, and you could put the text to the sides, right?
    Idk...with iPhones it isn't as big of a deal, but on the iPad playing it in portrait mode is not ideal.

3. Lazer Kat

Lazer Kat Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2013
    I'm experiencing frequent frame rate drops, and game stutters.
    iPad 2, iOS 6.X

4. quantumsheep

Jun 5, 2009
    London
    You know, I never thought of it like that. Food for thought! Thanks!

Have you tried closing and restarting the game or closing other apps. It really shouldn't be doing what you say it's doing!

While I'm here, here's a video on youtube of someone from touchgameplay playing the game for 20 minutes :O

I'm popping out for dinner shortly, but will return later this evening if there's anything else you need!

Cheers!

QS =D

5. Planetshooter

Planetshooter Well-Known Member

Great game, but of course...

Yeah, I beta tested AS-I and provided a few ideas for different control methods and the tips that appear - I think I had that idea, can't really remember... And the unlockable character called John is named after me.

The GC score doesn't seem to be getting updated much. I scored over 10k and it isn't showing, which is a bit sad (for me) as it would be the 2nd highest behind QS at the moment.

Still, this game is so much fun and very addictive with those counters (the icons at the bottom) all continually counting down to the next unlocks.

Nice one, QS - fingers crossed for the update to sort out the "character stops running" issue!

6. Andy C83

Andy C83 Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2010
    Over the Rainbow
    My best run is 18,361 km but as mentioned the scores aren't uploading to GC. The cups leaderboard seems fine, though.

Enjoying the game very much, cheers QS. :)

7. Planetshooter

Nice one!

Did you notice that each playable character earns the planet cups independently?

8. cloudpuff

cloudpuff Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2013
    lazy layabout
    uk
    I'm having problems, I went into the options to select the new planet, the first I had unlocked and when I went back to play it crashed, loaded back up and the same thing happened a couple more times, then on the fourth attempt it worked and I played for a few mins before Sam and the alien stopped moving, their feet move but they stay on the same spot, my air ran out and now every game I start they just stay on the same spot. I've tried all the usual steps except a delete and reinstall. I'm using a mini with ios7

9. quantumsheep

Jun 5, 2009
    London
    @cloudpuff

Eek! All you need to do is close down the app - double click the home button, scroll to the app and flick upwards. Then just restart!

Sorry for the hassle - I'm looking into this issue!

QS

10. Andy C83

Oct 20, 2010
    Over the Rainbow
    I was on a run of 30,000+ when the game crashed. :(:eek:

At least the 4 cups I got that run were saved. :)

I didn't realise that each character collects them independently and that collecting 8 with one character unlocks a little story; that's definitely a neat extra.

Is there any way to see how many cups you've collected with each character? I've got 9 overall, pretty sure that 8 of them were collected with Sam but because the game crashed I'm not sure what happens.

11. quantumsheep

Jun 5, 2009
    London
    Can I ask what device you have Andy? Your profile says an iPod Touch 4 - and while it will run on that device (your 4 earned cups attest to that!) it's really designed for a 4s and above!

As to seeing how many cups you've collected with each character, that's relatively simple.

On the options screen, any planet you've got a cup on with a character will have a little cup symbol in the lower right of the planet image.

If you've got a cup with Sam on Lunar One, for example, a cup will appear on the image as described. If you then change the character selection to Gerty, the cup image will disappear unless you've got a cup with her on that planet too.

Hope that helps!

QS =D

12. cloudpuff

Sep 12, 2013
    lazy layabout
    uk
    Thank you, it fixed the stop running but it keeps happening every now and then, also I'm getting quite a bit of crashing, typically when I'm on my best runs. Will there be an update to fix?

13. quantumsheep

Jun 5, 2009
    London
    I will do my best!

This bug is something that was brought up in testing. It's amazing - I tried various things and tested for several hours to make sure it didn't happen and genuinely thought it had been squashed - but then it appears again soon as other people play it!

Grrrr!

I'm working on the game over the next couple of days to try and get rid of it once and for all! :O

QS

14. Andy C83

Oct 20, 2010
    Over the Rainbow
    #54 Andy C83, Nov 17, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2013
    iPod Touch 5th Gen, 7.0.3. I was low on battery and I got that annoying "20% battery" pop-up, the crash happened soon after that. :)

It absolutely does, cheers! I thought it was simply "collect 8 cups with each character" when in fact it's "collect at least one cup from each planet with each character" which makes more sense. I'm just missing the iWorld cup for a full set for Sam. :D

Thank you again for this game. It's simple yet there's some strategy there, too. And if you lose concentration for while, you're done for. I think the presentation is excellent, and the attention to detail with the different characters and enemies is really nice. I don't normally care about different characters in games but that's not something I can say about Air Supply - Infinite, especially the "John" character. ;)

While most endless runners are becoming stale with collecting coins and berries and whatnot just you can spend hours upgrading crap, every so often there'll be a Boson X, Bobbing or indeed an Air Supply - Infinite that comes along and reminds us why this genre is so popular and how good it can be when done right.

15. Bronxsta

Bronxsta Well-Known Member

On the verge of buying, thanks to all the great impressions here.
    1) Do different characters have different stats/abilities?
    2) What kind of strategy is there, if any, beside the use of bombs?

16. defaultuser12

defaultuser12 Member

Nov 16, 2013
    Yes that confused me as well. :)

So is it kind of the same? If it's different I'll pick it up. I didn't like catch 22 very much.

17. Planetshooter

Yes! Exactly. Something else: Although I've got Oceanhorn, Meltdown, Rayman Fiesta Run, Lego LotR - all very nice recent games - this game (Air Supply - Infinite) is the one I'm spending most of my (limited) gaming time on.

18. Yeah, even though I got Oceanhorn, Epoch 2, Tilt to Live, Stealth, etc.

I am finding myself playing not as well hyped and inexpensive games like Neon Shadow, Don't Shoot Yourself, Groove Vortex, and this one even more.

19. quantumsheep

Jun 5, 2009
    London
    You are very kind, and honestly, I love reading stuff like this :D I wish there were more people like you around!

I'm glad you like John! His animation is hard to see as it's quite subtle, but I kinda like it!

I also tried to give the characters some personality through their 'bios' when you press 'i'. It's a small thing really, but was so much fun to write :)

Finally, this is my second runner type game. This genre really didn't exist before iDevices appeared, and I have to say it's one of my faves. I'm a gamer just like you guys, so I really try and put stuff in that other gamers might appreciate!

Thanks for your comments!

Hey there, glad the game's piqued your interest. To answer your questions:

1) No. They're purely cosmetic. Although when you unlock a Quantum Sheep, he 'baaaas' when he jumps. And Mister Beep has a classic 'Spectrum Jump' sound. Other than that, they're purely cosmetic, but have their own story endings :)

2) There's quite a few strategies, just around the use of smart bombs - for example, in the 20 minute video I was glad to see the player had sussed that he didn't need to use a smartbomb all the time - that he could conserve them.

Then I saw that he used them whenever a UFO appeared. It's certainly one way of playing, but I've personally found that 'enduring' the hazards and saving the smartbombs for when you really need them gets better results.

It also depends on what goal you've set yourself - if you're trying to unlock the colours by killing enemies, it may be a good idea to wait until an Alien and a UFO are on-screen at once before you use a smartbomb - two for one!
    Even better if an asteroid appears at the same time!

Then there's a whole load of strategies based around the dwindling air supply - I find it satisfying yet risky to run around with just 1 air and picking up an O2 canister just before you run out of air.

Additionally, using a smartbomb gives you up to half your air back. Thus, it's better to use a smartbomb THEN grab an air canister - suddenly you're up to 5 air!

O2 canisters have to go off-screen before they appear at the top again - you therefore have to be aware of how soon an O2 pickup will appear which could dictate when you use a bomb or whether you should wait.

I like to think the game can be played on a very basic level by running around and grabbing air and avoiding the alien. I also like to think that there are a few layers to the gameplay too, and that as you get better at jumping over the alien and get used to the hazards, the game becomes more of a smartbomb management sim than anything else ;)

I can't answer that one - I did like the look of Catch 22, but I've not played it alas!

From the video though, I'd wager my game might be a bit more crazy/frantic ;)

Believe me, I wish I could do the the hype stuff! Unfortunately, I never assume that people will like my games and am genuinely terrified when I show them to people/release them.

I hate disappointing people too, so I can never really scream 'This is the best game ever!' because I know some people won't like it.

It's also why I hate hearing about crash stuff/bugs. Not because the info isn't valuable or useful, but because I feel I've let people down :O

I look at some of the games you've mentioned and think I'm not even in the same league as stuff like that, so thank you so much for the kind words. It's a special undescribable thrill to hear that complete strangers like something you've created.

There's nothing quite like it, and I'd recommend it to all!

Thanks everyone! Keep on running!

QS =D

20. cloudpuff

Sep 12, 2013
    lazy layabout
    uk
    Don't feel bad about the crashes, it happens on the biggest of titles, and the fact that you are working on it shows you care, a lot of devs could not give a stuff once they've got the sale.