Air Print Question

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by Foozelz, Nov 22, 2010.

1. Foozelz

Foozelz Well-Known Member

Any one tried and had success?
    I cannot find a way to print, it can't find my printers.

2. It only supports a handful of printers right now. Apple is hoping OEMs will jump on board and write drivers for Apple to include in updates.

3. starjimstar

starjimstar Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2008
    Entrepreneur
    Canada
    I have some more questions. Is Air Print an app or should I be looking for a new menu item under settings? Was it installed with the update or do I have to download it from the App Store? I don't see it anywhere on my phone or iTunes.

4. Looks like AirPrint presently supports 10 printers, all of them HP:

HP Photosmart eStation
    HP Photosmart Plus e-All-in-One
    HP Photosmart Premium e-All-in-One
    HP Photosmart e-All-in-One
    HP Photosmart Premium Fax e-All-in-One
    HP ENVY100 e-All-in-One
    HP LaserJet Pro M1536dnf
    HP LaserJet Pro CM1415f
    HP LaserJet Pro CP1525

6 more are scheduled for a December 27 update -- still HP:

HP Officejet 6500A e-All-in-One
    HP Officejet 6500A Plus e-All-in-One
    HP Officejet 7500A Wide Format e-All-in-One
    HP Officejet Pro 8500A e-All-in-One
    HP Officejet Pro 8500A Plus e-All-in-One
    HP Officejet Pro 8500A Premium e-All-in-One

[source]

Looks like they've aimed mainly at the SOHO and pro office markets to start.

Other vendors apparently looking into AirPrint support are Kyocera, Epson (to print certain types of documents, like PDF, Excel, and Word), Kodak and Xerox. [source]

The latter source apparently seems unaware of what HP "will do" despite HP being the biggest (and currently only) supporter right now.

As for where it is, it's embedded in the apps that support it. (Mail and Safari so far that I know of.) It's under the curved arrow, where you'll see a new option for printing (on the iPad anyway. I haven't upgraded my iPhone yet.) A couple of iPhone screenshots from Safari are here.

I haven't been able to try it because I don't have an HP printer.

5. starjimstar

Sep 28, 2008
    Entrepreneur
    Canada
    Oh, I see.

6. Ah, that would make your problem understandable. Didn't know you had a 3G. Not that it matters I guess unless you have one of the currently supported printers; you're not missing anything, like most people.

7. starjimstar

Sep 28, 2008
    Entrepreneur
    Canada
    Ya, I'm not terribly upset. ePrint recognizes all of my printers. I will just continue to use that until I get an iPhone 5orwhatever.

8. Foozelz

Foozelz Well-Known Member

Using some really tricky shit, I got my old HP to print from my iPod.

9. secondtime

secondtime Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2009
    FWIW: An option... I found a program called "AirPrint Activator" that I loaded on my mac. It allows me to use a shared printer (with 4.2.1 devices it says, using Snow Leopard) (I'm not jailbroken). I tried it - printed a Penultimate sketch to my Samsung color laserjet... worked from the iPad. I assume it'll work from the other apps just fine as I do see the printer when I try the print option on my phone/iPad.