Ahhh!! My iphone has become a haven for unplayed games!!

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by colbertj, Jul 12, 2009.

1. Ponagathos

Ponagathos Member

May 6, 2009
    I must be stopped!

I do the same thing. I know I have spent $160 in gift cards and likely another hundred billed to my credit card. Basically, if game is on sale for a buck and looks interesting, I will buy it. It just seems too cheap not to pull the trigger.

Of course, even with the 3.0 software(my only recent non-game purchase), I still do not have the space to see them although I can search for the name, if I remember it is there. Many times I have attempted to buy a game on sale only to discover I already own it! What I need, other than time to play more and a little self control for the spending, is nested folders so I can organize all the games and see what I have in total. We should be able to do this in Itunes too similar to creating a playlist. Itunes is really behind the curve since Apps have come along and almost useless for organizing them. Trying to do it on the touch the way they are stored now is a pain.

2. wootbean

wootbean Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2009
    the next whiskey bar
    Maybe the App Store was a much bigger success than first expected? I also hope that we'll be able to better organize them soon.

3. Fletch

Fletch Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2009
    The Internet
    I have a slightly different case of this disease. I don't buy apps "for later on," but rather buy them, play them a bunch the first day, and then never feel the urge to play them again. The only recent purchase that I have completed was Asphalt 4 - A urprisingly fun game...I wonder what drew me to it...maybe I should take note of this

I think part of the problem is this site :) I spend so much time looking for and purchasing new games, that I never have time to play them all. Back when the app store first opened, I was very frugal in my purchases, and played every game I bought extensively. I must have logged a good 40+ hours on Crash Kart alone :D

4. Rad

Rad Well-Known Member

Feb 23, 2009
    Washington
    Same here I like to get the deal on the game.

Just so many fun games and just not enough room or time to play them.

Sometimes it's just being able to get to them with the 11 page icon shuffle.

5. soggy

soggy Well-Known Member

May 1, 2009
    what!?

11 pages??, is my ipod broken, cause whenever i try to put a new game on my ipod (9 pages) it doesn't show up.

(i always thought it was just a limit but never understood why there would be one.)
    HELP!:eek:
    in more related news, i have loads of games i don't play but am nostalgic about deleting them, although i need to to free up space's.

6. starjimstar

starjimstar Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2008
    Entrepreneur
    Canada
    Upgrade to 3.0 and you too can have 11 pages.

7. The Game Reaper

The Game Reaper Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2008
    The Emerald Isle
    Upgrade to 3.0 and you can get all the apps you want.

About the 'buy for later' thing. I make myself finish a game before I get another one.

8. Rad

Rad Well-Known Member

Feb 23, 2009
    Washington
    But if you do that you will miss the sale. And that is the problem.

9. fletchnuts

fletchnuts Well-Known Member

Jun 2, 2009
    Unlike you guys, all of my games have been played for at least a few minutes, but only a few keep me coming back. Some games I buy to sink some time into, and other games I buy to keep me entertained for a few minutes at a time. I find that most of the "depth" games that I purchase simply aren't fun enough to keep me interested, and the "quick" games I buy lack the immediate "funness" I need to pick them up and play them for a few minutes.

10. schplurg

schplurg Well-Known Member

My problem is with not deleting games I haven't played in months. I'll sync up to iTunes and say "I'm gonna delete a bunch of crap this time....hmmm let's see..."

"Venger...haven't played it in 4 months....well but I'm almost done with it. I'll play it and beat it soon"

"Slotz....well I made a few tracks. I'll play it again at some point...leave it".

"Payback...well I may not play it..let's give it a few more weeks on my phone. I spent good money on it, I damn well should play it!!!"

"Ferrari GT....spent like $10 bucks on it and played a lot.......3 months ago. Don't dare delete a $10 game!"

"Warfare Inc....they'll come out with multiplayer SOMEday. Still won't play probably anyways. But it's a good game, shame to remove"

"The Creeps, Chess (2 of em), Blackjack, F'n 2XL Supercross LITE (lite, I say!)...."

All great games that I never play. So why in HELL can't I bring myself to delete them? I can simply reinstall them at anytime and continue them!

Thank goodness I'm not alone! Thanks for the support group/thread guys!

11. Alichan76

Alichan76 Well-Known Member

Apr 15, 2009
    There seems to be just such a crazy amount of games coming out daily, I'm getting really desensitized to the whole app store malarkey. When I started, I would play my games much more often, and feel a real sense of awe at what I was holding in my hands. But with apps being two a penny now, it doesn't feel all that special anymore, and cosequently, my play time has deminished rapidly.
    There is something to be said for 'too much of a good thing'…

12. colbertj

colbertj Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2009
    College Professor
    Massachusetts
    #32 colbertj, Jul 12, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2009
    Nice discussion everyone! I think I should clarify a bit more about what goes into my decision whether to buy a game or not. I know, they are technically 'apps', but these are games we are talking about!

First a little history. I really like the idea of a 'trophy case' as that is pretty much what stands next to my consoles as I look up at the TV. To quickly look at the games I have never played (or rarely played), but added to the collection: RE4, Halo 3 (I know, I'm waiting for a time when my friends and I will go through co-op), Gears 2, Zack and Wiki, Mario Galaxy, DK Jungle Beat, MechAssault 2, Bionic Comando Rearmed, Battalion Wars 2, etc. The list goes on and on not to mention the abundance of DS games that are barely played. Basically I put a moratorium on purchasing new games and it's worked for the most part.

I was very conservative and skeptical when it came to ipod games since it was just an upgrade from my classic ipod with a touch screen (so I thought). The first game I actually paid for was Rolando and loved it. After reading through dedicated websites (TA, theportablegamer, IGN, etc.) and hearing more about 'iphone games of the week' by John Davidson on listen Up, I decided to venture in. Actually, Touch Arcade has been quite the catalyst!

TA is a great site and really set up well. I check it way more than I should throughout the day for game announcements, reviews, promo code opportunities and of course PRICE DROPS!!

After I saw the huge amount of games dropping to a buck (with lite versions), I started purchasing. I don't have a huge budget to spend on games, but with the quality of these games, you can get 10 solid $.99 games and you are still at 1/3 or 1/6 of a console purchase. To me, no brainer.

Then it got ridiculous! Gameloft, Chillingo, even EA dropping AAA games down to a buck! Not to mention all the other awesome games mentioned in this tread (Globall, Crazy Choppers, etc.)!

So, back to the 'trophy case' comment. I think I've actually spent more time organizing my apps into categories rather than playing them! It is a pain in the butt to organize the apps and I wish there actually were nested folders and an easier UI (nice idea by whoever mentioned it previously).

Lastly, there's the 'upgrade' to OS3. Perhaps I should start a new thread for this one, but I haven't found the need yet. Given everything you know about my as a gamer, I would much rather purchase 10 games or even 3 or 4 $1.99 games instead of having the ability to use blue tooth and cut and paste. However, the limitless app storage will be needed soon!

Thanks for the great discussion everyone, game on!!

13. colbertj

Jun 28, 2009
    College Professor
    Massachusetts
    I wish I had the discipline and time to do that!

14. Aurora

Aurora Well-Known Member

Well none of the games you listed are any good except maybe Hero of Sparta if you enjoy pressing one button to defeat the same enemy over and over again. It has beautiful graphics so it makes up for the monotonous gameplay.

15. Xandan

Xandan Well-Known Member

Mar 4, 2009
    If im vaugely interested in an app and its on sale for $0.99 then I'll just buy it, I still havent played Car Jack Streets and 2 other games that have gone on sale for a buck

16. colbertj

Jun 28, 2009
    College Professor
    Massachusetts
    I would be interested in what you consider 'good' for this platform. Good compared to a full console release? Engaging? Polished? Deep? Graphically advanced?

Maybe I'm just easily pleased, but I couldn't put down Knights Onrush for the longest time simply becuase it's basic, challenging, involves strategy and it's pretty to look at. In my opinion, for a buck that's a pretty good game! I could say the same thing for Blimp, Globall and countless others.

17. Blade

Blade Active Member

Feb 8, 2009
    Same here. I've noticed that a lot of games are dropping to $.99, so i wait until that happens. Then pick them up. Grunts, Rick Dangerous, Return to Mysterious Island are just a few that i've picked up recently, but haven't played them much.
    I guess i'm like a lot of other people in the fact that i'm just adding apps to my Touch to see it filled up.

18. McGill

McGill Well-Known Member

Oct 31, 2008
    Florida
    I'm the same way with games that seem like they'll take a while; like i'm waiting for some big trip or vacation around the world...

Never even opened Myst or RTMI, just to name a couple of the 1,300 + apps. i've purchased...

19. 5jusername

5jusername Well-Known Member

Mar 10, 2009
    School...
    Somewhere In The Universe
    i have grunts and RTMI. i played about 5 levels from grunts and about 7 minutes of RTMI

20. colbertj

Jun 28, 2009
    College Professor
    Massachusetts
    No reason this can't double as a review forum. Would you recommend either of the two?