Ahhh!! My iphone has become a haven for unplayed games!!

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by colbertj, Jul 12, 2009.

1. colbertj

colbertj Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2009
    College Professor
    Massachusetts
    I was just noticing something about my iphone that is very similar to my console game collection. I am slowly acquiring a ton of 'buy now to play later' games. I still have quite a collection of Gamecube/Wii/360 games that I purchased for a nice deal and just shelved for later. Perhaps I am just a serial monogamist, or maybe it's something else.

With iphone games, sometimes you really just can't pass up a game for a buck even if you aren't going to immediately play it!

Here's my list of games that I have never played, but have on my iphone:

Hero of Sparta
    Car Jack Streets
    iDracula
    Defender Chronicles
    Blimp
    Globall

Thoughts?

2. GaiaIllusion

GaiaIllusion Well-Known Member

May 6, 2009
    Student
    加拿大
    Do not fear. I'm the same way.

I don't hesitate to try playing a few sometimes though, when I'm in the mood.

3. wootbean

wootbean Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2009
    the next whiskey bar
    I have a lot that I've only played once or twice. I haven't gotten anything new in a while. Toki Tori was my latest, and before that I hadn't gotten anything for a couple weeks

4. deckard

deckard Well-Known Member

Mar 25, 2009
    Tampa, FL
    Yep, same here. Seems I have more fun sometimes just flipping through all the pages of games then actually playing them; like some kind of trophy case I guess.

5. Reaganomics

Reaganomics Well-Known Member

Apr 26, 2009
    I'm the same way and it's more common than you think. I think that's the beauty of the idevice. I consider my surplus of games a collection. And I keep adding to my collection for a relatively low price. And one day when I'm in the mood I'll blow the dust off my games and play some of them.

6. gekkota

gekkota Well-Known Member

Jul 17, 2008
    I'm glad to see someone finally started a thread on this topic...I was beginning to think I was the only one who bought games "to play later."

Hero of Sparta? Got it. Never played it...yet. :rolleyes:
    Toki Tori? Cute icon that's never been "touched."
    Return to Mysterious Island? Couldn't pass it up for a buck, but I'll probably never get off that island!
    And on and on.

^^yeah, that, too!^^
    :eek:

7. Uhgii

Uhgii Well-Known Member

May 18, 2009
    Broadcasting/News
    New York
    I'm also a bit of a bargain shopper, so I'll pick up titles that look interesting even if I'm caught up in other titles at the time merely due to price. I have pages of games I've only played once or twice, but thoroughly intend to play through.

Downside is, by the time I get to them, I'll have brand new pages full of unplayed games. You're definitely not alone!

8. joe830

joe830 Active Member

Mar 8, 2009
    You need to play defender chronicles! It is a lot of fun!

9. Kamazar

Kamazar Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2008
    My situation is kinda like that. I buy a game on sale, forget about it for a week, I'm sitting down somewhere waiting for whatever random thing to happen. Oh cool. I have a couple new games. How'd they get on here? Whatevs, play time.

10. theone1007

theone1007 Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2009
    USA
    Assassin's Creed, I almost beat it but for some reason I never got around to beating it.
    Ancient Frog, bought it and finished a couple of levels. Never touched it after that.
    Brain Challenge, played til like 50% then stopped.
    9 Innings, played for a few hours then stopped. Same with Baseball Superstars.
    Zenonia, got to level 45 and stopped playing. I need to start over though since I restored my device.
    Super Monkey Ball, got to world 3 then never touched it again.
    Rolando 1, played the first world then stopped.
    UNO, played for a few minutes and stopped. I should play that game again.
    Freeballin', played for a little and stopped.
    Peggle, touched it once in a while, but not a lot.
    Trivial Pursuit, maybe one game and that's it.
    Top Gun, played for a few minutes then stopped.

Trust me, you're not alone :p And I must say that my iPhone does feel like a precious trophy case never to be touched, just looked at. I just love the feeling of scrolling through 7 pages of games.

11. wootbean

Feb 8, 2009
    the next whiskey bar
    loool :p

12. 5jusername

5jusername Well-Known Member

Mar 10, 2009
    School...
    Somewhere In The Universe
    #12 5jusername, Jul 12, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2009
    i get escape the room games for no reason except for their popularity or just the fact that i want an escape the room game for my ipod. im not even good at them:D

i got mystique 1 for $.99 for no reason except that i wanted an escape-the-room game on my ipod. finished with a walkthrough.

i got mystique 2 for $.99 because it was had more gameplay than the first one and the price looked great(until it became free) i got a walkthrough but i'm trying not to use it as much.

i got RTMI for $.99 just because it was on sale. i played the RTMI 2 demo on PC and i enjoyed it(even though i had some help from a forum). i plan to use a walkthrough later, seeing that i am stuck after about 5 minutes of playing.

for mystique 1, i bought it 1 week before it became free. then i got mystique 2 1 week before that became free, too.:p

13. wootbean

Feb 8, 2009
    the next whiskey bar
    same here :)

14. jecebn

jecebn Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Kansas City, MO
    #14 jecebn, Jul 12, 2009
    I'm the same way, I'm more of a collector than I am a gamer. I'll spend an insane amount of time looking for new games and then I'll play it for 10 minutes before I'll go back to looking for a new game to put on my phone. I love playing the games, but I think I have more fun making sure my phone is loaded with the newest and best games in the app store.

I have issues clearing space on my phone to make way for new apps because I hate the thought of deleting any of the games even though I never even play most of them :rolleyes:

Obsessively checking Touch Arcade and AppShopper has been the most time consuming part of my life for the last year... its an addiction, really

15. PacSun4dc

PacSun4dc Well-Known Member

Jun 30, 2009
    Atlanta,GA
    Me too

Hero of Sparta
    Car Jack Streets
    iDracula

i dont play either

16. 5jusername

5jusername Well-Known Member

Mar 10, 2009
    School...
    Somewhere In The Universe
    same here. first thing each morning i turn on my computer, go downstairs and eat breakfast, then go upstairs and check TA. reply a bit. do some other stuff. check computer again. my computer has been on like 20/7 for a while.

17. bc142

bc142 Well-Known Member

Jul 2, 2009
    Im the same way i bought lets golf when it hit .99 cents I didnt get past the fmovie, had soemthign else to do, looks great but havnt touched it since. Anyways Hero of Sparta and Defender Chronicles are both really good, i liked Defender Chronicles new, they did a really nice job at switching up a TD game with the 2d map.

18. Squirt Reynolds

Squirt Reynolds Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2009
    California
    #18 Squirt Reynolds, Jul 12, 2009
    This thread describes me exactly.

I buy almost any DECENT apps that are on sale (who can resist an app that's normally $4 or $5 and gets dropped to $.99), then most of them end up sitting on my phone for weeks or even months, without being played even once. Sometimes i buy an app and forget to open it just to try it out for the first time, and it sits on my phone completely un-played.

I've found that since i bought my 3GS, and now have twice the memory (16gb), i find myself making a lot of impulse buys in the App Store. I usually check out a couple reviews, watch a video of the actual gameplay, then (if the price is right) i click "BUY" without hesitation. Before i know it, $20 in mostly $.99 app purchases has added up on my credit card. Damn you App Store.

I also find that with certain apps that are so good (Doom, Edge, Real Racing, to name a few), I buy them, play them obsessively the first time i open them, then avoid playing them altogether for as long as possible. I think it's because they're so good and so fun to play, that i don't want them to end.
    Because as we all know, even the biggest apps are still relatively small, and can be beaten quite quickly if you play them for a few hours.

Also, i can't deny the "trophy case" factor. I think we all have some of that going on. :D

19. wootbean

Feb 8, 2009
    the next whiskey bar
    same here :D:D especially now that it's summer. but I don't leave my laptop on constantly.

20. jecebn

jecebn Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Kansas City, MO
    That is the exact same way I am- it's almost like I'm saving them for a "rainy day"