Universal Agricola - (by Playdek, Inc.)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, Jun 12, 2013.

1. GiHubb

GiHubb Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Apr 27, 2010
    CEO
    Does the game use the same timers as in other Playdek games for multiplayer?

I really loved it in Ascension and what made Ascension multiplayer so great for me is that it is the perfect poo-ware, that is, you can finish a match in one "sitting" on the "throne". How does this compare? I.e. how long do matches last? Specifically 2 player matches?

2. cjsbug

cjsbug Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2009
    Los Angeles
    You might be fine on the Solo Series. Your legs might go numb if you're playing with too many players.:eek:

3. andsoitgoes

andsoitgoes Well-Known Member

I can't tell, do you like farming games?

Seriously though, this isn't even remotely a farming game. It's a worker place management game with farming elements.

There's an ignore function. It's what he's been doing and if you don't like it, ignore it, him, whatever.

Yes, they are very annoying, I really wish people would understand them and stop using them.

I cannot imagine playing a whole ascension game on the toilet!

4. pbb76

pbb76 Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2009
    Player colours dont save on profiles, it always defaults back to 'My Profile' not the one you create and there are other niggly problems too.

Sure it will all be sorted in the next update though. Cant be too harsh on it!

5. worldcitizen1919

worldcitizen1919 Well-Known Member

Jun 27, 2012
    Thanks. It's a board game right but the object is to expand your farm, feed family? So you've got to plant crops, feed animals etc. sounds good. Leaning towards getting this. Iap for extra content is perfect.

6. Appletini

Appletini Well-Known Member

Jan 8, 2011
    Ankh-Morpork
    Yes they do; I'm looking at my customised profiles right now, in fact.

If you're having trouble in this department, try creating a new active profile and deleting the default "My Profile" one.

7. worldcitizen1919

worldcitizen1919 Well-Known Member

Jun 27, 2012
    Had to buy this. Just couldn't resist.

8. PapaT

PapaT Well-Known Member

Nov 22, 2011
    UK
    You mean like they delivered the Hard AI in Ascension?

9. phred

phred Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2010
    Yeah. I just need to set aside a chunk of time to figure out this game.

10. phred

phred Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2010
  11. cjsbug

cjsbug Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2009
    Los Angeles
    I've tried that and it doesn't let me delete "My Profile".

I get the message "You cannot delete and active profile" but I can't find a way to make it inactive even after creating multiple new profiles.

12. Blublub

Blublub Active Member

Sep 24, 2009
    #112 Blublub, Jun 13, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2013
    First impressions (after a single offline game) are very favorable - it looks and plays like Agricola. A few beefs that I don't think have been mentioned:

1. It doesn't include the Farmer of the Moors expansion. Not Playdek's fault, certainly, but I hadn't realized how long it ad been since I played the base game and it seems a bit lacking without the extra options of the expansion. Here's hoping it will come as future DLC...

2. The need to scroll horizontally to take in the whole game board. I'd much rather have smaller board if it meant not having to scroll. Granted, I'm not sure how this would be implemented, but as it stands now it's a hassle and confusing if you've played the board game since it seems to be laid out differently here.

3. I agree with the earlier post about profiles being kludgy. It took me a while to figure out that the only way to enter your name was to create a new profile with your name and then delete the default profile. I still am not sure what or why the extra family member icons are exactly - it seems to just be eye candy but adds a good deal of confusion for not much payoff.

4. Starting player designation. I wish this was more prominent, as I'm never quite sure who has it for that round. Edit: It's plain as day once I figured it out.

5. The UI is, on the whole, more clumsy than it needs to be. There's not a whole lot of feedback as to what action you are performing (or expected to perform). For example, it took me ages to figure out how online play is supposed to work. I've registered an account and at the main online screen I choose the settings and then click the green check - it tells me "Game successfully created!" but it shoots me back to the same screen with no way to go beyond. I wasn't sure if I was supposed to wait at that screen until players have been found or not - nothing indicates anything is created. Clicking the green arrow again just gave another "Game successfully created!" message. Only later did I find out that you need to hit the red back arrow and exit out all the way to the main screen, then go to the "Game List" screen where all those green arrow clicks had been sent.

6. There is just too much clutter on the main actions screen. Surprisingly it's the animations that bother me the least. It's learning the icons for each action type and trying to find the active "huts" that is most bothersome for me. I wish they could grey out the inactive hut pictures, remove the extraneous graphics (roads, decorative animals, etc.) to make finding the turn options less painful. Edit - just discovered that hitting the question mark in the upper left turns on all labels (rather than having to click each one individually). It's much less painful now.

7. Edit: No way to chat or message with other players online. Something like "hurry the hell up!" would be very welcome :)

Don't get me wrong, though - it's a fantastic implementation of a legendary board game. At the easiest setting against two AI opponents I got smoked in my first game - the AI seems VERY well done, particularly considering all the varied outcomes with the cards. At $6.99 it's a steal, and I'm confident some of the quirks will be worked out soon.

That said, Agricola is a pretty complex game. I can see how it might be a bit overwhelming for those who have never played the board game. But if you're familiar with the game I'm sure you'll be very pleased.

13. NoisyNinja

NoisyNinja Member

Sep 12, 2012
    Which game do you recommend? Agricola or Eclipse?

14. Mythbuster

Mythbuster Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2008
    Journalist
    In the middle of nowhere
    Both! :cool:

15. andsoitgoes

Create a new profile. Select it. Hit the check. Go out. Come back in and delete "My Profile". Just had to do it, worked like a charm.

As for the game, I am lost. Very very lost. I hope that since I figured out eclipse, I can figure out this.

It seems like a more complex version of Stone Age. A much more complex version.

Once I get through a few single player games, I'm up for getting my butt handed to me online.

I need more people, only 2 people on my Playdek/GC list have the game. It's sad.

16. oldgamer dude

oldgamer dude Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2013
    You're scaring me with that I'm very, very lost- that doesn't bode well for those of us who haven't even played board games.

17. andsoitgoes

Don't be scared :). I was flummoxed by eclipse early on, this I haven't even actually played yet besides the tutorial. I honestly believe I'll be able to figure it out after a bit.

18. cjsbug

cjsbug Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Well that was embarrassingly easy. thanks :eek:

19. andsoitgoes

It's unintuitive, very unintuitive. I just fiddled around enough until I got it working.

20. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    Game Impressions

I have yet to actually play but Playdek blew my mind here with something I've never seen in their previous releases. Some really compelling solo play options with scores and stats!

I guess they've always provided decent AI opponents and tried at a campaign with Food Fight, but this looks like a much slicker attempt. I don't want a story or a bunch of bosses, just give me a relatively pure interpretation of gameplay with some minimal persistant link between games, like a campaign, and an end score!

If they could give Ascension, Penny Arcade, and Nightfall similar treatments I'd happily hand them piles of IAP cash in advance. :D