Universal Agricola - (by Playdek, Inc.)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, Jun 12, 2013.

1. oldgamer dude

oldgamer dude Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2013
    #41 oldgamer dude, Jun 12, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2013
    Thx for the info it's between this and Gangstar Vegas lol . I'm trying to budget and don't want to get both . Talk about apples and oranges ;) But I'm thinking this game will be more polished and have lasting appeal .

2. Drucifer

Drucifer Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2010
    Canada
    I see they even included the Family Mode. That mode eliminates the Minor Improvement and Occupation cards so it makes everything much more simple, good option when trying to teach a crowd to play the game for the first time.

3. andsoitgoes

andsoitgoes Well-Known Member

For me there's no question. Though I'm much more of a board game person than a Gameloft game.

4. oldgamer dude

oldgamer dude Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2013
    Well there are some mixed reviews on Gangstar- bad controls and bugs and this seems like it would be pretty cool.

5. Drucifer

Drucifer Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2010
    Canada
    I'm not really a fan of anything Gameloft and more they release the more it seems like they rush stuff for quick and easy sales.

Then again I'm also a huge board game fan so my response would be bias anyhow.

Hard call really as they are so different, personally Agricola would be much more fun around a table with friends and family instead of against AI or online but the iOS version means I can take it on the go with me on my iPad and I have zero setup or cleanup and scoring is all done for us also no lugging around the big heavy box.

6. soldat7

soldat7 Well-Known Member

Jul 12, 2011
    Not feeling the art. I wish it resembled the aesthetic of the board game more than it does. Caylus had the same problem, and Stone Age to an extent. :confused:

7. andsoitgoes

andsoitgoes Well-Known Member

Sigh. This attitude, when relating to board games, is just infuriating. It really, really is.

As many others have said, the game costs about $50+ to buy.

Like, it's crazy. This is an awesome game, and is insanely more complex than Ascension and such. It is a far more in depth and complicated game than anything they've done before, and it's cost a lot to get the game on iOS.

It's ranked #2 on BGG, a site that is BRUTAL on games. Carcassonne and ticket to ride are ranked 87 and 76 respectively... And they're brilliantly implemented and popular on iOS. The publishers, seeing the success of popular board games on the platform would have wanted a FORTUNE to publish it.

Even if they didn't, $7 ($9 with all the expansions) is so stupidly amazing it's baffling.

The next 2 hours and 40 minutes are killing me. Having the ability to play it on my iPhone as well without all the crazy difficulties I have with eclipse will mean it gets way more play.

8. volcanopele

volcanopele Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Mar 27, 2011
    Planetary Geologist
    AZ, US
    Never played this game (in fact I am about to go looking for game play videos on Youtube) but I think you've all convinced me to get it tonight. Go ahead and add me to Gamecenter if you want an easy opponent (at least at first ;) ) to beat if you aren't on my friends list already.

Still my history with Playdek has been mixed. I love Ascension, simple yet complex. But I could never get into Nightfall or Summoner Wars...

9. CoreyB

CoreyB Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2011
    Aircraft Mechanic
    Chicago, IL
    +1

Don't even waste your time trying to convince people it's a good deal. Even at $0.99, people are going to come here and complain about the price. I am a board game geek through and through, if they where selling this for $20, I wouldn't even think twice about buying it. Even at that price you're still getting the game for a steal. My only concern is the tutorial, I've never played the physical version. But I figured if I was able to comprehend Eclipse, I should be able to get the hang if this too.

10. Appletini

Appletini Well-Known Member

Jan 8, 2011
    Ankh-Morpork
    And for a bit of international perspective (NZ prices):

Agricola on iOS – $10
    Agricola in NZ stores – $119

Eclipse on iOS – $10
    Eclipse in NZ stores – $149

There's not really much room to complain about iOS board game pricing. :p

11. currymutton

currymutton Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2008
    Statement: I think the mentioned, together with La Havre, and Eclipse to some extent, are all "worker placement" games. I think Stone Age is easy to get in and quite fun to play. For Caylus, my main problem is I am still not sure how the AI are allowed to make some moves which I cannot.

Counting: less than 2 hours to go...

12. currymutton

Oct 16, 2008
    Reflection: During shower last night, I come to realize why Eclipse is limited to 9 rounds -- people actually come to gather and play, first by unboxing the pieces, and sort them out between players, then align the stuff for the board and each player. If you watch the videos of the real thing, you will see how messy things can be. Then game starts, run down each step for each turn, get things resolved, place pieces on board, check to see if any player cheats, and so on. I think even a 2-player game like this runs for hours to complete, takes a lot of space too and worse, it is very hard to "save" the state of the game. On mobile device, a normal game against an AI never goes beyond an hour and you can play against a number of guys some where on Earth at any place, any time you like and the computer takes care of all the checking, management, and all the trouble involved. The only problem I have with Eclipse is the chat is rutting broken.

Apology: Sorry to turn this into a mobile boardgaming vs real thing.

13. Appletini

Appletini Well-Known Member

Jan 8, 2011
    Ankh-Morpork
    Somebody over on BGG was posting about how smug he felt that his "cardboard" could be played anywhere, any time, while videogames were limited. I felt like telling him to get back to me when he could play Eclipse while on public transport, Ticket to Ride while waiting in a queue to buy lunch, or San Juan while walking down the street. :p

14. JagerBombS

JagerBombS Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2012
    Confession: Your posts bring a smile to my meatbag face.

On topic, I found Le Havre a bore to play and overly complicated. While I'm not the biggest board game fan, I am a Playdek fan. This is no doubt a great price and apparently a great game too. I'll have to pick it up because of the enthusiasm in here.

15. currymutton

Oct 16, 2008
    Advertisment: Thank you for having interest in our service: if you have a bounty to post, please visit Zak's office in the lower ground floor (Suiting up in Sith uniform is a must but knowledge in Huttese is entirely optional). Please note that naming a particular agent in handling request incurs additional fee. :p

16. currymutton

Oct 16, 2008
    Report: been there, done that. 170MB installed size, just a little bigger than Eclipse if you care.

Invitation: anyone care to have a game, gurus or newbies alike, my GCID is griffin611.

17. putermcgee

putermcgee Well-Known Member

Jun 4, 2010
    Seattle
    It's out now in the US:

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/agricola/id561521557?mt=8

18. limmyfox

limmyfox Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2011
    Must... Read finish... Thread before insta buy...

19. Talbs

Talbs Well-Known Member

May 1, 2011
    Apart from flux, this is playdeks only other game optimised for iphone 5!

Nonetheless, good stuff, looking forward to getting into this!

20. currymutton

Oct 16, 2008
    #60 currymutton, Jun 13, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2013
    Reporting: (Very) Initial impressions

Running the tutorials for 40 minutes but still cannot complete all of them. The series takes time to let you know what to do to earn VPs and is not afraid to ask you to repeat the actions to achieve the goals. It is good, once you plug your mind into "worker-placement game" mode, you will be on-track soon.

The game "board" is huge! One side is the farm sector where you build and farm stuff (of course). The other the town sector where you get resources or perform actions, though placing workers.

There are a lot of actions you can do in the town and there is a help button on top left screen to show you what each function does so you will not get lost in the town.

I have not finished the tutorial I cannot really comment if the tutorial does its job of getting the player to "win" the game. But it does a pretty good job of getting you to understand the mechanics and why things should be done in a particular way -- this is something I think is not done throughout in Clayus, Le Havre and Eclipse.

Will report again after running through the tutorial.

Statement: 2 minor issues -- 1. pop-up boxes of some town "shops" do not collapse automatically; and 2. dragging individual animal to the fire place is slow, clumsy and laborious. Is it possible to double-click an animal in the field and have a button to send it to the fire place, in the same vein as Ascension?