Universal Age of Zombies - by Halfbrick

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by ImNoSuperMan, Oct 27, 2010.

1. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    But the bloody violence is okay? I agree that if the language was added in just to make it "edgy" and doesn't really fit in, then it doesn't belong in it.

But I have a half-dozen (or more) gory zombie games on my iPod Touch that I don't let my younger ones play merely for the violence factor. They probably hear just as bad language or worse at school (not that I'm suggesting it's okay to play a game with it in it).

2. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    This is what I thought so the reference to the 8th wave/round lost me...maybe he means about 8th big spawn of baddies on the map?

3. Ipadboy

Ipadboy Well-Known Member

May 19, 2010
    Behind your mother
    Maybe the online leaderboard? But i havent really seen a difference (i own both versions) except the layout while your playing and maybe the rifle. But the storyline is different because of the references from Fruit Ninja and Monster Dash on the iphone

4. GregB

GregB Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2009
    Good point - my boys are ages 5 and 7, so I wouldn't want them playing a corpse shooter in any case regardless of the language.

5. Ipadboy

Ipadboy Well-Known Member

May 19, 2010
    Behind your mother
    Heres what i feel should be in a new update:

-2 player co-op via Gamecenter
    -New Weapon(s)
    -New Map
    -(doesnt really matter) When picking up a weapon, the weapon sprite should change instead of being a shotgun that is a flamethrower, or a minigun that is a flamethrower....or a shotgun being a shotgun -.-

6. Osujxu

Osujxu Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2010
    you know i really wish that halfbrick would get back to making some creative new games. fruit ninja was amazing but it's kinda been getting less creative each time

7. iphoneprogrammer

iphoneprogrammer Well-Known Member

Mar 26, 2009
    Financial Analyst for Baines and Ernst
    London, UK
    When the screen said 8th Wave, thats when i started having issues.

8. jones2929

jones2929 Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2010
    Los Angeles
    I get your point. But, for some reason, I don't have a problem with my kids playing a cartoon shooting game.

In contrast, the language bothers me.

Maybe I'm just being ridiculous. What I can say is that it is a fun game to play.

9. QBC

QBC Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2010
    Personally, I love the game. The multiple maps rule, the survival mode is a nice addition to the campaign. I love the campaign bosses. Add Game Center (which Halfbrick always does a good job with), and some more Barry Steakfries and you have the next hit from HB.

The language doesn't bother me, especially since it is a part of Barry's character however Halfbrick could add a safety mode for the younglings.

I can't wait to see how Halfbrick updates it. :D I'm also curious to what they will do next. I wanna see something new and original.

10. Phreakuency

Phreakuency Well-Known Member

Feb 24, 2009
    Hmm.... doesn't seem the typical Halfbrick quality at all.

Low res sprites, dodgy controls aren't half as accurate as the better dual stick shooters and some pretty corny (UN-funny) story.

Pity.

11. Caprone

Caprone Well-Known Member

Mar 31, 2010
    Well, this is the story.
    When this game came out my first intention was to buy it instantly. Then, reading all the posts on this thread i'm honestly a little confused; because if i read reviews, the game is a first class app, even if the genre is the same as many else dual stick shooters, but definitely good anyway, but if i read comments here, some say it's an instabuy, some say it's no good at all.
    Who listen?
    Thanks in advance for your suggestions!

12. bgribin

bgribin Well-Known Member

Mar 7, 2009
    Seattle, WA
    Who cares about the story? For $3 it's a lot of fun. Yeah it'd be nicer if it were a native app and not a port, but I'm still enjoying it. And I'm using not a huge fan of dual stick shooters.

13. Zevious Zoquis

Zevious Zoquis Well-Known Member

Sep 20, 2010
    Canada
    Controls seem fine to me. Theres nothing ground-breaking about this, but its a good dss for sure. I think its got a lot more "game" going on than Minigore. Just the fact that the maps are actual maps with obstacles for you to navigate makes a huge difference to me...

14. bgribin

bgribin Well-Known Member

Mar 7, 2009
    Seattle, WA
    Agreed.

15. VeganTnT

VeganTnT Moderator

Jul 19, 2008
    Freelance Entertainment Analyst
    Orlando, FL
    Featured game in the iPhone Appstore

Not a surprise ;)

16. Caprone

Caprone Well-Known Member

Mar 31, 2010
    Ok, i think i'm gonna get it. Thanks!

17. Iphonerox

Iphonerox Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2010
    How could you not like this game!? This is the most creative game they've come up with yet. Dinosaur zombie?! Mummy zombie!? That's awesome, especially for die hard zombie fans. And i personally found the story awesome, it's supposed to be corny and terrible. It's a spoof :).

18. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    But WHY is Prof S for Brains doing this to us? What's his motivation? How did he figure out how not only to travel through time but create endless hordes of zombies?

Clearly we'll need a prequel to fill in these gaps. :rolleyes:

19. Iphonerox

Iphonerox Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2010
    It better be a free prequel i ain't paying another 3 bucks >.>

20. Rlan

Rlan Active Member

Jun 1, 2010
    Senior Game Designer, PikPok
    Wellington, New Zealand
    *does a dance*

What an awesome thing to wake up to :D