Universal Age of Zombies - by Halfbrick

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by ImNoSuperMan, Oct 27, 2010.

1. EMTKiNG

EMTKiNG Well-Known Member

Apr 7, 2010
    EMT
    Los Angeles,CA
    LMAo that video is funny

2. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    Or at least go on some VIOLENT David Bowie Space Odyssey!

I just added my 5 star review commenting that the humor is a lot like what one might have expected Beavis and Butthead to say if they were action heroes (which is only a good thing).

3. tochan

tochan Well-Known Member

well you got yourself a purchase dev, just for being a nice company and release it universally. Improve the graphic on ipad though in the next update pretty please?
    :)

4. FPE

FPE Well-Known Member

Sep 25, 2010
    World, now Belgium
    Yeah! Fix the graphics.

5. Cilo

Cilo Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2010
    Los Angeles
    To all the naysayers, please do yourself a favor and flush your iDevice down the toilet - you don't deserve Barry Steakfries!!! :p

Also I don't have the patience to go back and quote whoever complained about the voiceovers, but you have to be kidding?! That's been my favorite part about Age of Zombies - Shotgun!

6. danrel

danrel Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2008
    Software dealings-with-er, Illustrator
    Central NC
    This game is really great! It's the first DSS that I've played that I see actual replay-value in. It's hilarious and super polished. Definitely a worth-while purchase :)

7. jones2929

jones2929 Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2010
    Los Angeles
    Why include the crude language? It's totally unnecessary and really detracts from the game. Otherwise, it's a blast.

8. jsrco

jsrco Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Oct 15, 2009
    Coordinator
    Seattle

Really... it kind of goes with the overall theme of Berry Steakfries. Its not for everyone sure, but it is like Dennis Leary stand up. Not funny unless he is dropping F bombs left and right.

Hey how about an option to flip the way you are holding the device / screen orientation? Its really annoying on the iphone 4 with headphones in.

9. jones2929

jones2929 Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2010
    Los Angeles
    That's true. However, Halfbrick games get many, many downloads and Halfbrick has received a lot of press attention. Fruit Ninja and Monster Dash are quick, nearly-perfect iPhone games that my kids love. You'd think that a game developer with a large audience wouldn't use the word s*#t in the opening sequence. I won't be giving this one to my kids - which is fine, not all games are for everyone, but I'm surprised that Halfbrick used this language in the game. Can you imagine the Angry Birds screaming obscenities as they fly through the air?

I'm not necessarily offended by it, but it just isn't necessary. It shows a lack of creativity from the writing standpoint.

10. Jetjet

Jetjet Well-Known Member

May 14, 2010
    Ridiculous ! It's a part of the game.

Duke Nukem 3D wouldn't be so cute without its language ! Pfff

11. GregB

GregB Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2009
    Question for me is would this replace minigore on my idevice. I love the insane framerate of minigore and it supports fast app switch, but that the environment is not a factor bothers me (you can walk through trees etc).

The maps look like fun in this game but it may not be the eye Andy minigore is and no app switching with longer load times would mean I wouldn't play this game.

I would be interested in impressions from those who have both and trying to leave aside that minigore has been around a while and this is new.

12. sammysin

sammysin Well-Known Member

Feb 23, 2010
    Government Official.
    Swansea, UK
    Meow Happy Fight is better than both of these.

13. diffusion8r

diffusion8r Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2008
    Termina
    Meh, I don't agree, Meow Meow Happy Fight is a completely different type of DSS but still is good. the charm and action of this appeal to me more.

If by 'extreme framerate' you mean loads of zombies on the screen trying to kill you then you'll be extremely happy. It is so awesome when you have about 50 zombies in a massive herd and just blow them down with shotgun and grenades.

And this game is about 777% better than Minigore.

14. sammysin

sammysin Well-Known Member

Feb 23, 2010
    Government Official.
    Swansea, UK
    Meh, the charm and action of that are what appeal to me over this. Different strokes for different folks.

15. iphoneprogrammer

iphoneprogrammer Well-Known Member

Mar 26, 2009
    Financial Analyst for Baines and Ernst
    London, UK
    I can see it now, the red angry bird screaming "f*ck you" as it hurdles through the air at the pigs, during which the pigs are saying "shit, we are so f*cking f*cked" the entire time. Ah, the fun they Rovio could have had.

16. iphoneprogrammer

iphoneprogrammer Well-Known Member

Mar 26, 2009
    Financial Analyst for Baines and Ernst
    London, UK
    Halfbrick must be planning some type of update adding more content and what not. It only took me 39:19 to finish the entire game. I really enjoy this but the lack of content is a bit depressing. The price is set at $2.99 and for only 40 mins of gameplay? thats severely dissapointing.

17. diffusion8r

diffusion8r Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2008
    Termina
    Lol, I agree, both games are good and have/will have tremendous support.

18. crunc

crunc Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2008
    The toilet humor (apparently - I don't have it) is what turns me off. Toilet humor? Who is this game targeted at? Well, that and that this is yet another dual-stick shooter. Not like we don't have enough of those already. At least Cave's upcoming variation on the theme seems genuinely a bit different. I'm looking forward to that.

19. Cilo

Cilo Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2010
    Los Angeles
    Valid point, make a suggestion to the devs to include a kid friendly option as an update?

20. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    Sure, to get through the story, but the Survival Mode is what you come back to, IMHO, the Story is just some silly training stuff with a bit of witty bathroom talk.