Universal Age of Zombies - by Halfbrick

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by ImNoSuperMan, Oct 27, 2010.

1. Jazzzed

Jazzzed Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2009
    They don't show that junk in their screenshots, so it's not the game I paid for. Had I known, I would have bought something else. It'll probably be a month before I play it...

2. DaviddesJ

DaviddesJ Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

May 19, 2010
    Burlingame CA
    I suggest you file a class-action lawsuit.

3. Michael Dobele

Michael Dobele Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2010
    Executive Producer at Halfbrick Studios
    Brisbane, Australia
    Unfortunately no, you cannot turn off the Christmas theme and go back to the default theme sorry. This will be done in via the next update in January.

A timed switch over would have been more elegant but due to wanting to stay under 20mb for the recent sale we couldn't include both sets of asssets.

4. sdmiracle

sdmiracle Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2010
    will we be able to switch themes by next update? i would like to keep the christmas theme for fun lol.

i think most of us don't mind the file go bigger for more themes:D

5. saiyukialex

saiyukialex Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2009
    Shanghai, China
    They want the file size to be under 20MB, so users can download the game vis 3G network as well.

6. spyky

spyky Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2010
    What? I absolutely love the Christmas theme, and I'm totally thrilled it's included with this update. It shows how much passion the developers have for this game.

Old time players will enjoy a new look for a while, and first time players get to see the real Barry in a future update. What's not to like?

7. Michael Dobele

Aug 20, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    The next update in January will just be a minor one to put the game back to default and see the Christmas theme disappear.... just temporarily.

Our plan for the next BIG update after that is the inclusion of an in-app shopfront which will allow us to do both externally downloaded FREE and PAID content. That will let us keep the core game at 20mb whilst being able to provide users with a choice of whatever content we can come up with...maps, weapons, characters, themes etc etc.

8. 270Kp

270Kp Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2009
    Beta-Tester
    USA
    Paid Content?! That sucks...

9. sdmiracle

sdmiracle Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2010
    IAP will made this game became the second minigore:mad:

10. undeadcow

undeadcow Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    I think the developers are suggesting the Age of Zombies game will remain the same but additional premium perks (new skins like cutesy elf zombies) will be extra. I'm ok with this as long as there is a quality core game from start to finish at the same asking price.

I'm not a big fan of paying for additional maps/levels unless there's really a big cost in developing them and/or they're really cool bonuses way outside the main game (I'd prefer to pay for a full form sequel; to complete the Barry Steakfries Trilogy).

IAPs can be a slippery slope but kudos to Half Brick for bringing us Monster Dash and now Age of Zombies for only $0.99. So far there's no reason to question the value per dollar I've gotten from the developer so keep 'em coming.

11. dbhjed

dbhjed Well-Known Member

Mar 27, 2009
    I just bought your game because you said this! (I had it for the ps3 and like it and was thinking about buying it on my iPhone).

I wish other developers would think this way (looking at you Doodle Jump). That is the best way to add free and paid content. I only one ONE icon per game on my screen.

That is why IAP is good, one icon more features, I think developers making different games for extra content is dumb to stay under 20MB. Doodle Jump and Cut the Rope need to learn this (Angry Birds get excused because the new game isn't affiliated with Chillingo)

12. speeed

speeed Well-Known Member

Dec 28, 2010
    I don't like the idea of paying to get ahead in the game. The only acceptable IAP I see is ones that won't affect the playability of the core game.

One question, why was my adventure mode reset when I got this new update, I don't want to have to play through it again. When this new January update comes along, will I have to start over in adventure mode?

13. Michael Dobele

Aug 20, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    The recent 1.1 update should not have wiped your progress. Can you give me some more info. Did you update the game via iTunes or directly on the device.

Has this happened to anyone else out there?

14. DaviddesJ

DaviddesJ Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

May 19, 2010
    Burlingame CA
    What difference does it make to you if I pay to get ahead in the game? It doesn't affect you at all.

15. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    If a game has Global Leaderboards than it means those unwilling to pay can't be competitive, simple as that.

That being said, I'm all for new maps, modes, and items via iap but hope you don't go overboard in the nickel and diming ($1 for a map, $1 for a new weapon, $1 for a new character, etc.). Ideally you'll have some sort of themed packs that offer multiple things for only $1-$2.

16. speeed

speeed Well-Known Member

Dec 28, 2010
    Let me elaborate.

Paying to get an advantage such as a better weapon that will make your scores substantially better than a person who won't/or even can't pay to get the same weapon. That person then can't compete fairly...

Anyway, I'm running the most current version of iOS 4.2 and I updated on my iPhone 4. Don't know why I'm the only one but I guess I'll just have to deal.

Thanks for a great game!

PS: Any feedback on auto aim feature (Mini-gore)?

17. triggywiggy

triggywiggy Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2010
    Freelance writer, Student, Casually employed in re
    Perth, Western Australia
    If you were so worried about competing fairly you would just pay for the extra's Geeez.

18. Shanatenay

Shanatenay Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2010
    They could possibly have IAP and free sections separate on the leaderboard for people who don't want to pay.

19. triggywiggy

triggywiggy Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2010
    Freelance writer, Student, Casually employed in re
    Perth, Western Australia
    NO that would wreck the game.

20. Jetjet

Jetjet Well-Known Member

May 14, 2010
    Agree too..