Universal Age of Zombies - by Halfbrick

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by ImNoSuperMan, Oct 27, 2010.

1. VeganTnT

VeganTnT Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 19, 2008
    Freelance Entertainment Analyst
    Orlando, FL
    I'd prefer a spinoff.

Shat through Time: The Tale of Barry Brains

2. Osujxu

Osujxu Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2010
    the game's pretty much an all survival game. the story isn't long and features countless "jokes" that really aren't funny at all. i hope halfbrick just expands the survival portion of the game or some multiplayer, because the story just doesn't cut it for me

3. GaiaIllusion

GaiaIllusion Well-Known Member

May 6, 2009
    Student
    加拿大
    For $2.99 I'm somewhat disappointed. The story was not that great, and the only actual play value in the game is the survival, which is fun, but it feels just like another Minigore with different graphics.
    I hope to see some new content in the future.

4. HalfbrickPhil

HalfbrickPhil Well-Known Member

Mar 5, 2010
    Thanks for all the great feedback guys, this has been a pretty crazy ride for AoZ so far!

Several things I'm happy to discuss with you:

1. Dev timeline. This was a game created long before Fruit Ninja and Monster Dash, so please don't be too alarmed that it isn't a one screen game with ultra simple mechanics. That's still our focus, on great gameplay and fun simple titles, but we definitely couldn't leave Age of Zombies out of our app store adventure!

2. The cursing/adult content. This game was originally developed for PSP and PS3 where it was a perfect fit. The humor style and story were universally well-received. After that, we had literally thousands of people begging for us to bring it to iPhone. So we did! It's rated 12+ and the content is listed there. If parents aren't willing to have their kids play it, totally fine and we're happy that is the case.

3. The price. Totally understand that it's $3 and more expensive than the norm. We wanted to give it a try and see where it goes, and so far have been happy with everyone agreeing that it's worth it. The app store expectations these days is pretty much a mammoth amount of content and ongoing free updates for less than the price of a chocolate bar, we definitely worked long and hard to make AoZ what it is so we can see how it goes.

Any other questions feel free to hit me up!

5. iVaro

iVaro Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2009
    will there be any crossovers?

6. dyscode

dyscode Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2010
    Living
    World
    the game has 12+ rating, so act as a responsible parent on your own, will ya? :cool:

7. Teh_Ninja

Teh_Ninja Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2010
    Waiter at Chili's
    Dallas
    #187 Teh_Ninja, Oct 29, 2010
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2010
    Pretty awesome game, I am agreeing the campaign is fairly short, would love if you added more weapons and survival levels, like a Katana, Ray Gun, a Fruit Launcher, Electrical Zapper, a grenade that that stops time for a short while.

Some levels could be like a Jungle, City, a Beach area, or the Artic where you could fight the undead Yeti.

A couple of complaints, 1st the defualt weapon picture is a handgun, but it looks like he is holding a rifle or something, also I wish you could be able to switch between weapons (I know this won't happen because it's mainly a port) another thing I wish you could hold more ammo say I pick up a shotgun, and I find another but I've only used 4 shells of the current shotgun instead of adding more ammo it just gets replaced, last thing if you could add more ammo could you ad a reloading animation?

Sorry for the SUPER long post, it's the first time I've posted in this thread (I think) anyways great game and I'll always support Half-Brick, ya make quality games that are fun to play and your always updating them, also when is the next update for Fruit Ninja?

8. itman

itman Well-Known Member

Sep 3, 2009
    I'm perfectly happy to play 2.99 if updates are coming. Are they? And what will they add?

Thanks

9. sammysin

sammysin Well-Known Member

Feb 23, 2010
    Government Official.
    Swansea, UK
    I've laughed at all the reviews that are upset by the crass language. Hahaha.

10. medianotzu

medianotzu Well-Known Member

Nov 21, 2009
    Really fun game that blows Minigore out of the water in my opinion; I think it does suffer a bit from being part of a crowded genre, and while I don't have any problem with the price tag, it's true that it's not the best value you will find in the app store for a dual stick shooter (probably have to go with Solomon's Keep for that one) but I think it's a good pickup for those who will enjoy the humor (I found myself lukewarm on this aspect, but I did enjoy the voice-overs) and who aren't tired of the formula.

A further note on the value for price: I think that, oddly enough, this game is a victim of Halfbrick's great and well-deserved reputation. There aren't many games better than Fruit Ninja and Monster Dash available for 99 cents; even less that have received the kind of support those titles have. So the expectations for this one were probably too high given that it's actually something that was developed prior to those two titles, and that combined with the higher price tag might be what is causing some to complain about the perceived lack of value. Anyway, keep up the great work Halfbrick!

11. Osujxu

Osujxu Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2010
    i 100% aggree with this post. basically sums it all up.

I would also like to say though that i actually feel like they should not make more updates to this game. it would be alot easier to just update fruit ninja and monster dash. if you spend time making updates for this game, it will take longer for updates for the other two games to come out. plus, making updates for this game would be harder, because you will have to make entirely new levels for a story type game that takes alot longer than adding simple things to fruit ninja and monster dash.

12. camihq

camihq Well-Known Member

May 2, 2010
    Finland
    I'm cheap and I'll wait for price drop.
    I think there should be updates.

13. Trysis3

Trysis3 Well-Known Member

Jul 14, 2009
    thanks for this awesome game I'm currently the 4th on gc lederboards here is what I would like to see in futur updates :
    -coop
    -better menu UI
    -screen rotation,fast appswitching
    -more weapons (grenade launcher,mr zappi)
    -better graphics (lightning effects like in monster dash )
    -water animation
    -more survival maps

14. DaviddesJ

DaviddesJ Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

May 19, 2010
    Burlingame CA
    I don't think anyone is "upset" by the juvenile language. There are just a lot of people who are put off by it. As you know, different people like different things.

15. kawficolor

kawficolor Well-Known Member

Mar 9, 2009
    #195 kawficolor, Oct 29, 2010
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2010
    This now my favorite dual stick shooter on my iphone! If the developers are reading this, please update this game with more levels, weapons, and monsters.

The jetpack/ machine gun weapon from Monster Dash would be cool to add. Just imagine hovering over a crowd of zombies and unleashing fury from above.

A limited turret gun to help?

A level where there's only the bigger zombies and monsters?

A cool level to add would be like "Aftermath" where it's pitch black. You can see no further than the target icon because your flashlight is limited. It could be a haunted house level or something similar.

I'm sure you guys will add something to keep the replay value. Otherwise, nice job creating this game! The detail and humor reminds me off the Metal Slug series which is my favorite shooter till this day.

16. eev

eev Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2009
    Germany
    good game, and better made one than monster dash, but controls are somehow not really smooth.

17. Iphonerox

Iphonerox Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2010
    Why? Multiplayer update would be so badass with this game.

18. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    I agree changes here might take a bit more effort but I'd love to see new zombie types, power-ups, and weapons without necessarily needing to add whole new levels or story aspects.

I mean if tomorrow they added lazers as one of the weapon drops it isn't like they'd need to change any of the existing dialogs or story bits because of this.

19. Michael Dobele

Michael Dobele Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2010
    Executive Producer at Halfbrick Studios
    Brisbane, Australia
    Halfbrick has always been, and is still commited to updating our popular iPhone titles and AoZ is no exception.

To give you a slight insight into the company, we are divided into three seperate teams. Luke's (muscat) team is the one working on Fruit Ninja and Monster Dash and its my team that works on Age of Zombies. The third team here was responsible for the upcoming Raskulls XBLA title. (That game is soooo frakking fun!)

So working on an update for AoZ, won't effect any work being done on the others :) ... and yes, I just started working on a quick AoZ update today, more details in the coming weeks. :cool:

Cheers
    Mik

20. amusing Grace

amusing Grace Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2008
    Music, Muse, Magick
    Berlin, Germany
    I´m stuck on the egyptian level. When the boss appears the game just hangs up and doesn´t continue, but doesn´t crash either.

Controls could be smoother.

Other than that, i´m enjoying the game so far.