Universal Age of Rivals (by Roboto Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by skoptic, Jun 22, 2017.

1. vmyneni

vmyneni Well-Known Member

May 25, 2017
    Thanks! Auto-rotation is in the next update. I'm not sure yet if we can do async MP. It's a good idea, but might be too much of a reach from the current tech. I need to think about it some more before I'm positive though.

2. currymutton

currymutton Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2008
    If you are going to charge US$4 extra for an async update, I am willing to pay triple for that!

All my games (board and card) online are true async: Ascension, Race for the Galaxy, Lost Cities, Twilight Struggle, Patchwork, Tsuro and Carcassone. Among that I have 36 games active for Ascension, and >12 for R4tG.

I am an adult with kids and a day job. It is almost impossible for me to sit through the whole thing and see who gets time out first.

Tell you this is a brillant game and I just wish many other games have true async online play mode (I am looking at you Tokkaido)

Note: what I mean by "true" async is that both signing up for a game and playing a game are all async. You don't need to wait up for everyone to be online and sign up before you start the game. Counter-example: all Asmodee titles

3. Pitta

Pitta Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2008
    Male
    Italy
    Couldn't agree more or saying it any better.
    While I'll probably play just realtime with strangers, I would definitely play just async (with notifications) with friends, the hell out of it.
    The game is particularly suited, even multiple concurrent games, because everything is laid out under your eyes (you and your opponent cards) so decision making is fast.

I wouldn't mind a friend list too.

But other than that, truly awesome game.
    Also, I was surprised to be able to find online games in an acceptable timeframe, considering the genre is pretty niche.
    I'm just starting to look at other 'generals' now.

4. vmyneni

May 25, 2017
    #144 vmyneni, Jun 27, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2017
    Update News

I fixed the issue we recently found and am uploading another build for the testers. That's the good news.

I unfortunately have another issue that I'd appreciate some feedback on. Since our launch, I have discovered that some older iPads cannot run our game. I have figured out why, and it's not something we can really fix (we use some tech that is unsupported on those devices, and to remove that tech would degrade the experience for everyone).

If I'd known this earlier (my fault), I could have excluded those devices based on "capability" (requiring a device to have certain tech capabilities). But Apple does not allow you to add these requirements in app updates (unfortunately). So to fix this now, I would have to create an entirely new app (like "Age of Rivals 2"). That seems confusing and annoying for all existing users (who would have to buy the new app separately), and I'm not thrilled with the idea.

My second option is to increase the iOS requirement to 10.0. This is actually Apple's recommendation in such a scenario. This is probably the best answer, but it unfortunately means that anyone currently running the game on a valid device will have to update their OS to 10.0 if they want to get future updates. Or, they can just keep running the current version. According to my data, this would affect about 6% of our users. Moving forward though, only the right devices will be able to install the game (as long as they are willing to update to 10.0 first).

The third option is to do nothing and just hope that people read the app description where I can list clearly which devices work and which don't (better than I currently am). But I'm afraid that people are going to continue to buy it mistakenly (not really their fault) and then give us a 1 star rating when they can't run the game (understandably). About half of my 1 star ratings right now are because of this.

Anyone have any thoughts? Anyone here who has a device they could update to 10.0 but would prefer not to (and why?).

Thanks all!

5. baelnor

baelnor Well-Known Member

Aug 28, 2012
    iOS 10 is fine

6. Nullzone

Nullzone 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 12, 2013
    Male
    Never count on people reading the app description. I've seen this so often, that a dev has a warning in HUGE BOLD letters right at the top, and people still complain that game X doesn't run on their original iPod Touch :p

Next, with only 6% of your playerbase being below iOS 10, I'd say screw it and update your requirements.

Oh, and better do NOT ask TA folks why they won't update ;) I bet you will get a small but very vocal bunch who likes an earlier iOS version for whatever reason and will not even consider upgrading before our sun turns nova.

7. raravan

raravan Well-Known Member

May 18, 2014
    lol'd. good point!

8. TheSop

TheSop Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2016
    Definitely would not create a new app, people who have already purchased the original will complain having to pay again.

Updating software is something which most people do and Apple recommend so I would change the requirement to 10.0.

9. Avaniar

Avaniar Well-Known Member

Jul 26, 2016
    Well Iam on IOS 10 and it runs fine.
    As to the options:
    1-creating a new app is a terrible idea because of what you said.
    2-upgrading the requirements - this is the best option, but quite frankly I would only do it after you release the offline update (the one you are working on to allow the game to be run offline). This way the hugest difference will be dealt with.
    3-do nothing but warn people. I think this would be the best option imho, though I understand the reluctance because of criticism and ratings. I don't see why people leave bad ratings when they can get a refund for the game. Just get your refund for technical reasons and move one, I say.

Anyway, I must say I am very displeased when games ask me to update to the newest IOS. This will be even more serious when IOS 11 comes out. I will most likely not buy games that have ios 11 minimum req, because of the 32bit-apppocalypse.

10. Patjelol

Patjelol Active Member

Jun 22, 2017
    I am on IOS 9.. I'm not upgrading any further, mostly because I don't like some of the changes. And seeing as my Mini 2 works fine with IOS 9 (lot better than it did with 8), I like to keep it that way.

If that will mean that I'll miss out on updates, it's fine. It's an older device and I can live with that.
    Only thing I really want is the screen rotation, but I think I can live with that.

11. skoptic

skoptic Well-Known Member

Apr 3, 2015
    I am inclined to agree #

12. pjft

pjft Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2011
    Hm.

It's a tricky one.

Would you be able to elaborate on which devices you're referring to?

I suppose my concern with requiring iOS10 isn't as much about people who won't update, but rather those who'd be in valid devices but can't update (I'm looking at my iPad 3) in case that is a supported device. You may have customers who'd have bought the game and are now left out of the loop. You probably have metrics on this, though.

That being said, if all supported devices can be updated to iOS10, I'd stick to forcing iOS10 then. It's not ideal, but it's better than creating a new app altogether.

The app description might be a good idea, but I don't know how many people will effectively read it. :|

13. vmyneni

May 25, 2017
    Part of the problem is that I don't have every device to test on, so I'm not 100% sure. But I have a strong suspicion that this is the list of supported devices:

- iPhone 5s and higher (not iPhone 5 or 5c)
    - iPad Airs and iPad Pros (not iPad 1st/2nd/3rd/4th gen)
    - iPad Mini 2 and higher
    - iPod Touch 6th gen

Actually, if anyone can confirm or deny any of that please let me know. Especially related to the iPad 3rd/4th gen and the iPad Mini 2. Basically the iPads on the borderline. Those are the ones I'm most unsure about.

Thanks!

14. Patjelol

Patjelol Active Member

Jun 22, 2017
    Ipad Mini 2 has IOS 10.

I'd say get the offline and screen rotation out, then change the requirements to IOS 10. That way people who don't want to update can still have those two (which in my opinion are basic needs for an app, especially if there is no NEED to be online), and you can go further without those pesky 1 star reviews you get because people don't read.

15. mkaen

mkaen Well-Known Member

Dec 9, 2011
    #155 mkaen, Jun 27, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2017
    Why do some cards say "All allied X gain Y", and others say simply "All X gain Y"?

Since the actual effect is for "allied" units in both cases, why not include "allied" for the second example to clarify the ambiguity? The tooltip text (long press) for each of the above examples includes the word "your" to specify that it means allied cards.

16. vmyneni

May 25, 2017
    Avaniar - Your idea to release the offline update first and then increase the OS requirement after that is pure genius. I believe that is what I will do. Thanks! This way everyone on pre-10.0 can grab the offline update (and screen rotation) and play forever no matter what I do to the client or server later. I will also make the app description more clear on device support in the meantime.

I think the build is pretty solid. No one has found any showstopper issues yet. I'll give it a few more hours and then submit to Apple.

Thanks all. These forums are fantastic.

17. vmyneni

May 25, 2017
    Ah yes. Grand Causeway, Colosseum and Trade Capital should say "allied" as well. Good catch. I'll fix those for the sake of consistency and it will be part of the next update after this one. Let me know if you meant some other card that I missed. Thanks!

18. Luci0

Luci0 Well-Known Member

May 9, 2016
    Loving this game! Can't believe how cheap it is tho. Bought first day and just tried it now.. excellent game!

19. Avaniar

Avaniar Well-Known Member

Jul 26, 2016
    Hehe

Thank you, thank you. I'll be here all week.

Hehe.

On a more serious note though, this is an amazing game, the mechanics are brilliant and I will go so far as to say that if and when 7 Wonders shows up on the appstore, it will have here strong competition that will be very hard to topple. This for me is the best civ-card game, because it has so much depth.
    If I may be curious what are your plans for the future? Expansion packs with cards? World domination solo campaign?
    If I can offer two suggestions for future things. One is to get unique art for each card. I love the artwork here, feels like the glass panels in churches. But i like it so much, I want to see more of it. I know it is a very costly subject, but if there is that possibility, then I think it is a good investment.
    Second is to propell the solo-mode. Since we are now getting a good offline capability, I would suggest a campaign mission based solo mode. Maybe a world map where you can click and choose the regions to conquer or establish yourself, or some other story driven missions to go around the globe and defeat specific rivals.

Best of luck for the future and congratulations and thank you once again for giving us such a good game :)

20. Gwarmaxx

Gwarmaxx Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2010
    NCC 1701

all very good ideas, Avaniar...

guys, this game is an unexpected gem, really really good!!!