Universal Age of Rivals (by Roboto Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by skoptic, Jun 22, 2017.

1. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    Fair point, it would probably make more sense in the Card Collection screen somewhere.

2. I agree the edit option is weird. I'm not sure why it has to take you to another screen. You can then close it and press Play again, but I'm not sure why you can't edit the card you want to take with you and then jump right into the game from there.

3. IOSgamer1980

IOSgamer1980 Well-Known Member

Nov 6, 2015
    This game is really something. I was getting frustrated earlier today and almost wanted to come complain in the thread, but I decided to knuckle down and start focusing more on the details and also to start experimenting more with cards that I didn't typically use. The results were very positive.

The thing I learned about this game today is that you MUST pay equal amounts of attention to what your opponent is doing with the cards they've already chosen and also WHAT THEY MIGHT DO with the cards that they have to choose from during a round's build phase. Taking these two things into consideration along with the cards you've chosen already, your choices must be the sum of all of those factors combined if you want to win or at least have competitive losing matches where you're not getting "Good game! messaged to you from smarmy opponents.

Example: If your opponent has cards in play that penalize your mounted units, go with infantry, siege engines, saboteurs, and attack buildings instead; or if you've got two walls up for grabs in a build round and your opponent has a card that knocks out walls, you might want to buy the other one or two non-wall cards there, because they might anticipate that you'll buy a wall. If it goes down like that, it's nice because they've wasted an ability that round because what I'd do from then on is go all offense or focus on my points or economy, depending on the stage of the game.

I almost wish there was a physical version of this game, because it'd be great fun to play with people face-to-face. It's the perfect game for deep strategizing while running the risk of influencing someone to tell you to go screw yourself. That's my idea of a great Saturday night. ;)

4. vmyneni

vmyneni Well-Known Member

May 25, 2017
    Yes, that's well said. Much of this game is about making risk/reward decisions, because there is some randomness. In this case, it's a decision factoring in:
    - what value does this card have to me in terms of scoring or any end-of-round or post-combat effects
    - am I willing to risk it being ruined?
    - how likely is it to be ruined (how many other cards got knocked out)
    - how badly do I want to try to get it's armor back up to full (minus one)

In case anyone hasn't noticed, the TIPS page of the in-game rulebook (last page) has some more advice on this topic.

5. vmyneni

May 25, 2017
    Okay, I'll add automatic mid-game saves to the list of improvements to look into after the offline mode is done. Thanks!

6. vmyneni

May 25, 2017
    Offline Play Update

Offline Mode is going well. I had a long flight this weekend so I decided to go ahead and just work on offline support for the rest of the features as well (campaign games, missions, opening card packs, etc...). Now you will be able to play most of the game offline, although I still recommend creating an account and going online at some point so that you can save your data and avoid data loss (plus sync your progress on multiple devices).

Thank you to the brave volunteers who've offered to test. I'll have a build ready to test within the next 48 hours.

7. pjft

pjft Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2011
    Wonderful news! Thanks for the note, very much looking forward to it :)

8. Talbs

Talbs Well-Known Member

May 1, 2011
    Fantastic news re:eek:ffline. Thankyou so much for listening to us TA'ers.

9. Son of Anarchy

Son of Anarchy Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2015
    Male
    Shadow Runner
    Australia
    I love to see a responsive developer who at least tries to listen and implement advice from buyers/players. It's great to see as both parties only want to better the game. This will also gather you tremendous support for anything you do in the future and is the reason I bought even though I won't play till (if ever) offline is possible.

Thank you for listening and looking into it, I for one very much appreciate it.

10. imdakine1

imdakine1 Well-Known Member

Aug 23, 2011
    Thank you to the developer as many have stated... it's great to see a developer here in TA and in particular your willingness to listen to suggestions! I bought your game immediately after seeing you on TA even though I knew that I wouldn't play much or at all until offline mode worked. I did so knowing or believing you would try to find a way for it to work!

Congrats again for the launch and I wish you continued successes as a pro and engaged developer!

11. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    @vmyneni

A small improvement I hope that could be added in for future mission descriptions is to add the card type in the various "Win with x" missions.

Example:

Change, "Win 2 games buying Naval Blockade" to "Win 2 games buying the Civic, Naval Blockade"

There have been many times I couldn't tell if the card I needed for a mission was a Civic, Resource, or maybe even an Underworld card just by its title alone.

12. MrBaconpants

MrBaconpants Member

Nov 18, 2009
    Web Developer
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Hey guys I just wanted to let you know that I started a subreddit for this game. Its /r/AgeOfRivals

It would be cool if people could start some topics over there so we can talk strategy.

13. imdakine1

imdakine1 Well-Known Member

Aug 23, 2011

14. Pedroapan

Pedroapan Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2010
    When creating or inviting to an alliance, the text box is partly outside the screen at the top, which makes it impossible to tap the x.

On iPad Pro 10.5. Can't attach screenshot, sorry.

Btw, feel free to join Toucharcade2

Pedroapan

15. vmyneni

May 25, 2017
    Fair point, although I've found that space is pretty tight with the current visual design/layout in that area. Maybe I can throw the card type icon in there somewhere though. I'll note it. Thanks!

16. vmyneni

May 25, 2017
    Yes, I've seen this sporadically on some devices and it's on my list of things to fix. Thanks for letting me know the device.

17. vmyneni

May 25, 2017
    Offline Play Update #2

Okay, offline mode is available in beta (TestFlight) and invites have been sent to the volunteer testers. I will also continue testing thoroughly for another day, and if no one reports any issues, this could be pushed live to everyone within the next 24 hours (plus however long Apple takes to approve it, which is pretty fast these days).

This is how it's going to work: http://robotogames.com/faq-support-forums/.

18. Misguided

Misguided Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2009
    Yes, I think the icon would be preferable (and take less room).

19. Pitta

Pitta Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2008
    Male
    Italy
    Awesome and highly original deck builder.
    Slick app too, besides lack of autorotation.

Games are fast and I'm having a ton of fun, but I'm wondering why mp isn't async, which would be much more convenient.

Congrats to the dev and thanks for being so active.

20. vmyneni

May 25, 2017
    Oops, spoke too soon. There is one issue that a beta tester pointed out and that I'll have to address tomorrow. But we're making progress!