Universal Age of Rivals (by Roboto Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by skoptic, Jun 22, 2017.

1. vectorarchitekt

vectorarchitekt Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2013
    The turns go fast, it's just all the little animations and things that make it a tad plodding....even if it is a "tap to speed up" kind of thing.
    I think it's really go a long way in making it a quicker game, with the card movements, attacks, coin transfers, all those things.

2. vmyneni

vmyneni Well-Known Member

May 25, 2017
    Hi, developer here, getting caught up on the questions. Thanks for the feedback, we'll look into this ASAP.

3. vmyneni

May 25, 2017
    You're right, we should have mentioned that in the description. We'll fix that right away. Sorry for the misunderstanding. For what it's worth, creating an account is a simple one step process that does NOT require any email address validation (the email address is just for password recovery). You just type in any username/password you want and you'e done.

Also, we are going to look into the possibility of an offline mode for a future release. Thanks for the feedback!

4. vmyneni

May 25, 2017
    There is a little yellow "fast-forward" button next to the little yellow "Menu" button. If you tap on it the animations will all play faster. We call this "Fast Mode" and there's also a chat option to suggest that your opponent play in Fast Mode (if you're playing multiplayer).

5. vmyneni

May 25, 2017
    Normally, there is a little "X" button on each mission that you can click to dismiss it and get it replaced with a new mission, but you can only do this once per day. Also, currently you cannot use this on the first 10 missions (and 2 of those are Anyone missions. But I think we might go ahead and relax this requirement so that you can dismiss any mission you want in the next update. Thanks for the feedback!

6. Misguided

Misguided Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2009
    Oh, cool. That would be greatly appreciated. I've played a half dozen games or so (3 normal, 2 hard, 1 challenge). It's a great game. Honestly, it hurts my soul a little to get a game of this quality for a dollar.

7. vmyneni

May 25, 2017
    #47 vmyneni, Jun 22, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2017
    Got it. Offline mode sounds like the number one request. It's great when there's an obvious thing to work on next. :) We'll definitely look into it.

In the meantime, I updated the store listing to make this clear, although it may take a few hours to show up.

8. vmyneni

May 25, 2017
    We're happy you like it! Just so it's clear to everyone who reads this at a later date, the $0.99 price is just a launch week sale. After that the price will up to the normal price of $3.99, which hopefully is still worth it.

9. Patjelol

Patjelol Active Member

Jun 22, 2017
    Hello,

I just registered to post about this game. I've installed it on my Ipad Mini 2, but the screen rotation seems to be fixed. I use my Ipad with the Home button on the left side, so the game is upside down.

Any chance it's possible to add that? Every other game I have, can be either way.

Lovely game, though.

10. vmyneni

May 25, 2017
    Yes, I'm pretty sure we can fix that. Thanks for the feedback!

11. IOSgamer1980

IOSgamer1980 Well-Known Member

Nov 6, 2015
    #51 IOSgamer1980, Jun 22, 2017
    This game really gets exciting when you understand how it all works. Basically during the first three rounds, you're choosing your city's inventory of buildings and army units that will be available during the fourth and final round.

As you're choosing the 24 cards that will be available during round four from the full deck during rounds 1 through 3, your placement of them is adding cumulative permanent bonuses and also the cards are taking damage, and in some cases being "ruined" from use during the match, meaning that if you're not careful you could be drawing a lot of "dud" cards towards the end that really limit your choices and hamper your strategy.

Since you can effectively get a card's bonus twice if you play it in the fourth round, you should be thinking about that round while you're playing the first three. This is when I realized the value of cards I was skipping, such as spy cards that kill or replace an opponent's card when two spy cards are played in your hand for a round. That's hard to do in the first three rounds, but is doable in the fourth round with some planning, and could eliminate, replace, or steal a crucial enemy card during the final stretch.

I've had some games where it was like two or three points difference between winning and losing, which makes that last round pretty lively.

This is a very good game. I too would like to see single player taken "offline" and hopefully we'll see more characters and cards added, as well as the game balance refined through continual tweaking by the developer. This is far and away my favorite card game now, beating out Ascension and Xenoshyft, although those are still very good games.

This reminds me that I have to re-download Lost Portal to see how that shaped up after the expansion and most recent updates...

12. AppWhore

AppWhore Well-Known Member

Dec 24, 2008
    I found this video to be an entertaining intro to the game
    https://youtu.be/SbrvkIdV-DQ

13. mkaen

mkaen Well-Known Member

Dec 9, 2011
    I am REALLY enjoying this game! (Race for the Galaxy fan here. This gives a similar feel, which I love.)

I agree it seems a crime to buy this for a dollar. Also impressed by the dev responding to requests for offline play, though I don't think that's as big an issue as people are making it. The meat of this should be multiplayer matches, IMO.

Dev, thanks for bringing this to iOS!

14. HotHamBoy

HotHamBoy Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2015
    Not a CCG, a deck building game like Star Realms, Ascension and Dominion.

15. IOSgamer1980

IOSgamer1980 Well-Known Member

Nov 6, 2015
    It's not the end of the world, or anything like that. But I did have the game "freeze" during one of the tutorials and would prefer to avoid losing a single-player match against the CPU because a connection to the servers burped and caused my game to be "dropped," which seems sort of silly given the circumstances.

I'm probably not going to whip this bad boy out anywhere where there isn't at least some publicly accessible free wifi, which is probably a much bigger deal and common circumstance for others than it is for me. Those people should really be able to play single player despite being in that spot.

Those are probably good enough reasons to address the issue for those of us who like playing CPU's only or primarily.

16. Avaniar

Avaniar Well-Known Member

Jul 26, 2016
    This game is amazing, both the art and the gameplay.
    It realy is sad that online only thing, but it is great that the devs are going to change it, as well as changing things based on the feedback fromnhere.
    Devs like these are what makes ios gaming evolve.
    Also, not going for publicity but if people like this they should check out frost. I love card games and I must say with the ones I have on Ipad I am becoming less and less addicted to buying tabletop card games. Race for the galaxy, xenoshyft, frost, card city nights, that city building card game and now this amazing age of rivals. It really is a good time to be mobile gaming

17. Misguided

Misguided Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2009
    It's not really a deck-builder either, though I agree it leans a bit more toward that. People that don't like deck-builders (I don't understand these people, mind you) or they think have enough of them (as if that were possible) should still get this.

18. #58 AppUnwrapper, Jun 22, 2017
    Maybe it's my fault for not reading the description carefully, but I didn't realize this was about collecting cards. The coins were a bit of a surprise. I'm not really into the collectible part of card games (I prefer things like Onirim and Exploding Kittens, where what you start with at the beginning is what you get and you just work on your strategy/skills.) Will still give some more time, though -- I only played through the tutorial so far. And I see the dev is planning to fix the orientation?

Progress syncs between devices through your account, so that's nice!

19. rod-

rod- Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2012
    The whole collectible aspect of this game is very generous, basically acting as an extended tutorial: you never get duplicate cards, so there is a guaranteed point at which you have earned everything -- and that point comes pretty fast, it took me 18h of gameplay on the steam version to have everything.

Personally I like the distribution of cards a little bit better before you collect all of the weird and rare ones: round 1-2 can get painfully random when there are seemingly almost as many cards that destroy economies as ones that build them.
    (This is wholly untrue, there are I think 3 ways to annoy an economy and ~8 that build them in phase 1, but the dilution still feels noticable]

20. sarazeen

sarazeen Member

Jun 24, 2016
    Please do add an offline mode, at least for single player. A must-have data connection simply isn't possible all the time.