Universal AG Drive (by ZORG)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by PeteOzzy, Jun 4, 2014.

1. RebornProphet

RebornProphet Well-Known Member

Oct 3, 2010
    Scotland, UK
    Ah! Then you most certainly do know best. :D

If you pass any of them in the office or over lunch, please tell them how much people are loving this game and even more so since its gone premium. App Store reviews thus far have been great too, so they'll have an idea but any feedback has to be appreciated!

2. RebornProphet

Oct 3, 2010
    Scotland, UK
    Hmm, in comparison I'm sorry, but Repulze simply doesn't come close to AG Drive in the visuals department.

Even the design/shape of the ships in Repulze are odd, it comes off very much as a mobile game where AG Drive really has that console vibe about it. It's so much like F Zero on GameCube ... love it. For me, AG Drive is the first game on mobile to get this genre "right".

3. Crabman

Crabman Well-Known Member

May 24, 2013
    Berlin
    I posted an email adress just 6 posts above yours,if that's what you looking for ;)

4. RebornProphet

Oct 3, 2010
    Scotland, UK
    Thank you ;)

Also regarding controls, I'm also a big fan of MFi support and use a Stratus XL.

Thing is, using the tilt controls I am cornering and flying the crafts in this game like a pro. The on screen left/right controls aren't great but the tilt ones are spot on IMO. I'd still like MFi support though!

5. nkarafo

nkarafo Well-Known Member

Mar 2, 2011
    Two questions please:

1) Are there big stages with many rounds or just 1 or 2 rounds only?

2) I read that the touch controls are good. Can I play it with corner left and corner right buttons to turn left or right?

6. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Uh... o_O

7. Crabman

Crabman Well-Known Member

May 24, 2013
    Berlin
    @RebornProphet:

I can imagine tilt works well but i just hate to tilt anything else than Labyrinth :D

Jeez,if i think about tilting my old iPad 4 ("the tank")...

8. RebornProphet

Oct 3, 2010
    Scotland, UK
    #148 RebornProphet, Feb 20, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2015
    There are two types of events.

There are the main events, which range from multi lap races to elimination races with 8/10 other vehicles, cups held over multiple races, duels with a single opponent, time challenges, and distance challenges.

There are then other, smaller, bite size events which are similar to the main events with the exception being they're between 20-30 seconds in length and are aimed at giving players quick hit events to boost their income.

In the smaller events you choose whether to compete in bronze, silver, or gold (ie: easy, medium, hard). If your vehicle is well upgraded you can attempt the silver or gold but when beginning choose bronze until your ship is well uograded.

Controls are either tilt with touch right to accelerate and touch left to brake or on screen arrows left and right located on the bottom left corner of the screen with the accelerate and brake on the bottom right.

9. bilboa

bilboa Well-Known Member

May 23, 2013
    Boston, MA, USA
    I've become a bit of a controller snob myself since getting a controller, in that I'm much less willing than before to play games which I think are a big compromise to play with virtual controls compared to physical controls unless they have controller support. However I have to say I'm really enjoying playing this game with tilt steering. It's just that the controls are so simple in this game that I don't feel like it's as big a compromise as with some games. I would prefer steering with a real analog stick, but the tilt steering definitely works well enough that I can't say it's crazy not to have it. Remember most iOS gamers still don't have controllers, so I don't think it's all that crazy for developers to ignore controller support, as much as I personally like to have it.

10. nkarafo

Mar 2, 2011
    Ok thanks. Bought.
    Also some nice review here and here.

11. RebornProphet

Oct 3, 2010
    Scotland, UK
    Second review, anyone want to tell the guy that no WipEout on PS2 looked anywhere near as good as AG Drive. Bit derogatory saying it reminds him of a PS2 game.

Although he reveals why it may have gone premium, since it features ads for some popular energy drink called Battery which is big with Finlands younger population.

12. bilboa

bilboa Well-Known Member

May 23, 2013
    Boston, MA, USA
    #152 bilboa, Feb 20, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2015
    To be fair he specifies that it's something about the menus and design of the game that reminds him of a PS2 game, and not the graphics, which he acknowledges are impressive even by modern standards. He does get one fact wrong though. He says the game offers IAPs, though he admits he couldn't find where in the game to buy them, perhaps because there aren't any. :)

13. RebornProphet

Oct 3, 2010
    Scotland, UK
    Playing my way through the second tier now, just levelled up to Level 11. Got a nice 7,500 bonus for moving up to Level 11, as opposed to the normal 2,500 award for levelling up.

14. nkarafo

Mar 2, 2011
    After playing some races, I would also like the option to remove the HUD in front of you. It's really frustrating because many times it blocks your visibility of the depth of the race. Moreover this game is very fast and it has twists and turns, etc and so the visibility is crucial for the player.

15. redribbon

redribbon Well-Known Member

Jun 11, 2010
    entepreanur,programmer
    i believe many people will asked for this. count me as one of them.:)

16. JPP

JPP Well-Known Member

Nov 26, 2013
    Finland
    Exactly what we were thinking about this.

17. Pepelutin

Pepelutin Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2013
    Music teacher
    Belgium
    Exactly, i want to remove hud too! The game is wonderful, it reminds me f-zero, like others. I"m not a big fan of that kind of games, but this one is a good one, controls are perfect. I've tried buttons left-right mode, but it's not precise enough. Tilt-mode is better, more easy to control.

I'm not a dubstep fan, my wife too, but it's ok, i think classical isn't appropriate in this case ;)

18. sweetdiss

sweetdiss Well-Known Member

Jun 15, 2009
    I mean, Repulze is several years old now so I won't argue too much on graphics, though I still think it looks pretty good for its age.

I really feel like the track designs, ships, environments, menus, fonts, combat, and the general feel of the racing of Repulze make it the best Wipeout-like, and the track design, ships, environments, lack of combat, and feel of racing of AG Drive make it the best F-Zero-like.

Like I said, they are both amazing and it comes down to personal preference which one you like better!

19. H4nd0fg0d

H4nd0fg0d Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2010
    In regards to the Repulze comparison, there is none. Apples and oranges. And very crisp beautiful apples compared to withered oranges graphically. Repulze is a fun game tho and remains on my devices to this day. The one thing I will say is tht Repulze's control options are far superior to AG's in the touch department. When AG does upgrade it's touch controls, the game will b damn near perfect. I rlly love the slide touch control option in Repulze, wrks rather sweetly. I hope AG adds customizable touch controls along with a slide to control option. Jmo. Cheers.

20. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Well bought this, amazing graphics. Gameplay is great so far. Nice to read some good reviews for this

Looks stunning on my new iphone. Recommended for sure