Universal AG Drive (by ZORG)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by PeteOzzy, Jun 4, 2014.

1. MasonHurst

MasonHurst Well-Known Member

Jan 9, 2013
    Any way to turn off the useless HUD readout that is right in the center of your view and the screen? What the heck was the thinking with that... "Let's block the drivers view with an unnecessary readout directly in his view"...?

Sure you can see around it or get used to it but... Why?

2. sweetdiss

sweetdiss Well-Known Member

Jun 15, 2009
    Hahaha what?

3. H4nd0fg0d

H4nd0fg0d Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2010
    It's tiny and doesn't affect ur view, period.

4. H4nd0fg0d

H4nd0fg0d Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2010
    Dope game indeed. No IAPs. Just speed!

5. RebornProphet

RebornProphet Well-Known Member

Oct 3, 2010
    Scotland, UK
    #105 RebornProphet, Feb 20, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2015
    People not buying it is what will make him move it to Freemium. :rolleyes:

Thanks for being part of the problem, rather than part of the solution.

Just buy it!

6. redribbon

redribbon Well-Known Member

Jun 11, 2010
    entepreanur,programmer
  7. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    #107 psj3809, Feb 20, 2015
    But its right in the middle ? Show me another racing game with that right there in your view. I've got all the other 'wipeout' style games like Repulze etc, just dont want this right in the centre

I would get this apart from that stuck right there, the graphics look amazing, just want to enjoy the game and see the track without that thing right there in the middle.

8. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    #108 metalcasket, Feb 20, 2015
    You know what's ****ing mindblowing? The game's just around the 500 MB mark installed on your device!!!

If the developers are around to see this...regarding the touch controls, could you please make it so that you can move from left to right and vice versa without having to take your finger off the screen. You can't currently slide your finger from one directional arrow to the other. :(

9. RebornProphet

Oct 3, 2010
    Scotland, UK
    I use the tilt controls but did see what you mean when I tried out the touch controls to see which one I preferred.

I don't know how this guy has managed it, the game looks insane. I shot a small clip of my iPad Air running the first track and sent it to a friend and he asked if it was a PS3 game. Couldn't believe it when I said it was on an iPad Air.

The thing is, James at AppSpy previewed the game a while back during soft launch (searched on YouTube last night) and he was running it on an iPod touch 5th Gen and it STILL ran at that ridiculously fast frame rate.

He's put some larger developers and studies to shame with that engine and I wouldn't be surprised if he's offered some big money in future for one of the big boys to use it for other racing titles.

I really do hope he doesn't flip flop back to Free to Play, but the game is getting glowing reviews on the App Store apart from one idiot who gave it two stars because "I can't control it." Em, review the app you idiot. Other than that it's got 4.5 stars and is being well received.

I've just completed tier 1 although I have several events with only silver awards that I need to go back to, but all tier 1 events are open and tier 2 opened up. Also when tier 2 opens up the game awards you 60,000 in prize money to buy your first tier 2 ship.

It's just such a great game if you love F Zero especially.

10. RebornProphet

Oct 3, 2010
    Scotland, UK
    It honestly does not detract from the racing experience. At all. If anything just pay the £2.99 and support a developer who showed a little faith in the premium system. It's a great game, even more so when you earn enough for upgrades and your craft travels at ridiculous speeds.

11. iPlayApps

iPlayApps Active Member

Mar 18, 2010
    German indie developer
  12. MasonHurst

MasonHurst Well-Known Member

Jan 9, 2013
    Well you can't speak for others. It would certainly bother me and that may be why nobody has ever stuck a gauge dead center in the middle of your windshield in a racing game. A lot of games DO have a simple on-off option for HUD elements however.

Also... Do you have direct info that this dev switched to premium purely from the goodness of his heart? It looks like a great game but I would normally suspect a dev would do this only because it's freemium earnings were disappointing.

Otherwise... Why the switch?

It's a genuine question. Not trying to be difficult.

Another reason I haven't already bought it is because I don't like tilt and this doesn't have configurable controls so I probably won't be comfortable with it (like a lot of racing games on any touch screen).

And this is coming from someone who still has all the Wipeout disks from the PS and the PS2. I think I need an actual controller for most racing games or a whole lot of options on a touch screen. But that's more my limitation than anything else.

13. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    #113 metalcasket, Feb 20, 2015
    You guys just do not know the extent of how amazing this game is. Putting aside the fact that it's bar none the best looking racer on the App Store, there's actually a fully functional, deep racing game (not a tech demo in any way, shape or form) behind those visuals AND it has one of the best soundtracks on the entire App Store (yes, this coming from a metalhead)...the game's been essentially developed by one man (and a small team).

Don't think that because this was once a freemium title, there's no heart and soul in the game. There is. More than you could ever imagine. I literally took the deepest breath after the credits rolled and haven't been more proud of spending a measly $4 on anything in my life. This is a man who sold his Transformers collection to fund this game. He literally sold his childhood to fund his future. That coupled with the fact that this is a now a fully premium title? Losing out on the millions and millions of dollars he could've earned from advertisements and/or idiots who would've gladly skipped every timer for money? AG Drive is front and center of the App Store as Editor's Choice, boasting Metal support. How easy would it have been to make money off of a model that would try to stick its hand in your pocket every chance it had? But no...AG Drive is a premium title with NOT.A.SINGLE.IAP.TO.BE.FOUND.

Seriously, if you're interested in this title and you're not heading to the App Store this very second (I apologize for this...sincerely), I have a middle finger held high in the sky with your name on it.

It's developers like this that deserve our support.

14. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    ^Yeah good point

I'll pick this up later once i get an itunes voucher. (Still not keen on that thing in front though ;)

But the videos look good and the whole 'one man band, not freemium now' story i totally agree with. Need to support stuff like this

15. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    I don't know why the game was freemium to begin with, to be honest, but as for why it's premium now? Like I said, per the credits (I wish someone with video recording capabilities would just record the credits rolling) AG Drive is nothing more than a 17 year old labor of love. Whether or not you guys believe that and/or care, I don't know...but as far as I'm concerned, I'm beyond proud that I could help this developer out.

16. ramzarules

ramzarules Well-Known Member

Sep 13, 2014
    Greece
    I second this. I downloaded it since it was released free in NZ store before the summer. I thought this could be the best wipeout racer existing on the Appstore, but free / timers / ads / tilt only controls held it back.

Now all those free elements and timers are gone, the touch controls work great, the buttons are positioned where every racer has them, and imo it's the best futuristic racer on the appstore.

Finally, if there's anyone who seriously believes in this day and age that premium makes more money than free.. just take a look at Squaresoft (turning to free) and 2K, and Supercell / King etc.. So YES he deserves our support.

17. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    #117 metalcasket, Feb 20, 2015
    Yep, without a shadow of a doubt. :)

EDIT: No rubber-banding!!! :D If you suck, just plain suck. The AI's not gonna sit around and wait for you/ :p

18. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    To be fair we moan when its freemium, then moan when its changed to premium ! ;) Poor devs cant win !

I think often its the reverse, a premium game doesnt sell well so they in the end have to go to freemium to make ends meet (which upsets people). Seems to be the reverse here.

But yeah i'll get this to give the dev an extra sale for sure

19. amusing Grace

amusing Grace Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2008
    Music, Muse, Magick
    Berlin, Germany
    I loved F-Zero on N64 back in the day and for me this one is the first futuristic racer in years that brings back similar feelings.
    I say it's worth the price just for that feeling alone.

20. touchy85

touchy85 Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2015
    #120 touchy85, Feb 20, 2015
    Great game, but I think the difficulty is a bit imbalanced. Some events are so much harder to win than the average race