Universal AG Drive (by ZORG)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by PeteOzzy, Jun 4, 2014.

1. nkarafo

nkarafo Well-Known Member

Mar 2, 2011
    I'm playing a bit more with this game and I think it's better than Rapulze which I liked it very much. I deleted Rapulze and have this. Rapulze was fast but not so fast as AG Drive and it has those irritative green and red checkpoint where you have to maneuver all the time and you can't remember which one is where. So AG Drive at this point yes it's better. It's the F-Zero for ios. Thank God we have ios devices :)

I believe the tilt control is better than the touch buttons but if the developer is reading he could add the control like exists in some racing games. Constantly accelerates without pressing any button, corner left and corner right buttons for turning left - right, if you press the middle of them is brake and the turbo boost could be above the left / right buttons. This way I think it could be more like Rapulze's / other racers control.

2. sicksilvo

sicksilvo Well-Known Member

Jul 4, 2012
    Thank you for the memories

Not only is the game more than worth the price but hot damn that soundtrack! My goodness, right from the get go I was kicked back to reminisce of 90s DemoScene. I would recognize Little Bitchard work even if it was composed on Nokia device from 2001..

3. Crabman

Crabman Well-Known Member

May 24, 2013
    Berlin
    #183 Crabman, Feb 21, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2015
    Why?It's clear that we both really want to play it but if the touch controls are more "meh"than great and we don't want to f*ckin tilt the ipad...should we buy it just to look at the beauty graphics?

My 128GB iPad is filled with premium games and many (usually much more expensive) music apps.As for me,I don't need to proof anybody that i'm a very good supporter of (premium) indie games.

I'm pretty sure the devs are listening and gonna update this.And i'll be the first in line to purchase it when MFI support shows up or the touch controls are at least en par with repulze.

4. H4nd0fg0d

H4nd0fg0d Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2010
    Take the time to run the bronze quick races to upgrade ur vessel adequately. Then the game becomes much easier ie: more precise turning and speed. The game doesn't seem very well tuned whn u first start but once u have the first ship tweaked up and the steering almost maxed out it becomes a very different experience. I do agree tht the touch controls rlly need to be amended asap as many gamers, especially iPad users not wanting to use gyro for obvious reasons. Customizable touch controls along with a slide to steer choice would be very welcome on this great racer. Slide touch control a la Repulze to be precise. I love tht scheme. Works beautifully. Cheers. If ur on the fence about this due to poor control, just stick with it and do the upgrades and u will b delightfully surprised.

5. Leegames

Leegames Well-Known Member

Jul 1, 2010
    Ex. game journalist and EiC now PR
    Denmark
    Touch controls in this game are awful. Yes: Have the buttons understand sliding and a bigger touch field that the virtual button. And do it NAOW. For twitch turning and gaming this is a disaster.

Also please add a sensitivity option to tilt.

Well at least both my girlfriend and I brought the game, and we love it.

The game is gorgeous, fun and stuffed with good content. :)

6. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Yeah... Sorry man. It's the one-purchase per week thing. I have to choose only those that i really want to play. So none for the past 4 week's releases, and chose to buy wishlisted titles instead. This is definitely on the wishlist now though, as i really like this one, just not a priority.

7. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    Because as stated above this very post, it's EP's one purchase a week policy. EP's like a brother to me and I know for a fact that if he wasn't super committed to sticking to his word, he would've been all over this in a heartbeat.

Nothing more, nothing less.

That said, you guys do know that if you look around the interwebs, you'll generally find a shitload of people who are not satisfied with Repulze's controls. ;) Just because you currently can't slide your finger between the directional buttons, doesn't mean they're not great...it just takes a second of getting used to. I believe the general consensus around here is that the touch controls are great, but the tilt controls are perfect.

8. nkarafo

nkarafo Well-Known Member

Mar 2, 2011
    I agree. This guy / studio Ari Pulkkinen / AriTunes is the same who did the fantastic soundtrack of Super Stardust HD and also of the wonderful awesome soundtrack of Trine 1 & 2 and more !!!
    https://soundcloud.com/aritunes
    Demoscene was for me too one of the "best places to be around". Many impressive tech demos, great music, small size of the files that presented many capabilities of CPU.

9. bilboa

bilboa Well-Known Member

May 23, 2013
    Boston, MA, USA
    #189 bilboa, Feb 21, 2015
    Driving in this game is a little more like a normal racing game than in Repulze. Repulze is all about twitch reaction times and memorizing the track. In this game you actually need to slow down sometimes, either by just lifting off the gas, or using the brake. Also, it actually makes a difference what line you take through corners, so making sure you start your turn from the outside of the track, and getting the timing right for when to initiate the turn, helps get through those swirling sections in Gamma Dive too.

Also, don't neglect upgrading the vehicle's handling, as that makes a big difference in how fast you can go through corners.

10. Nekku

Nekku Well-Known Member

May 31, 2013
    As an die hard wipeout fan, I don't get all the praise. Sorry. :/

11. sweetdiss

sweetdiss Well-Known Member

Jun 15, 2009
    This is F-Zero. Repulze is your Wipeout.

12. sapphire_neo

sapphire_neo Well-Known Member

Jan 20, 2011
    The game is great, but don't come into it hoping for a Wipeout-like. The hud component in the middle of screen is inexplicable and needs to be made optional. The touch controls are functional but could definitely be better, the devs should take pointers from how other great racers have implemented touch controls.

13. Amenbrother

Amenbrother Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2011
    Well I bought it against my better judgement and yes the graphics are awesome but the controls are iffy. Unless I just suck at these games which could def be.

14. RebornProphet

RebornProphet Well-Known Member

Oct 3, 2010
    Scotland, UK
    People forget that before there was WipEout there was F-Zero, and this title is very much F-Zero.

Many people including myself have mentioned this earlier in the thread, including the fact there's no real weapons in the game.

15. RebornProphet

Oct 3, 2010
    Scotland, UK
    Give the controls time, there is a learning curve that ship upgrades and learning the track layout help with. Stick with it. If you seen me now compared to the first time I played the game you wouldn't believe it was the same person playing.

16. RebornProphet

Oct 3, 2010
    Scotland, UK
    #196 RebornProphet, Feb 21, 2015
    Ok, I've completed all tier 2 events with Gold and am currently level 15.

When I got my tier 2 completion award of 8,500 there was no further award to buy a ship (like when it went from tier 1 to tier 2) and no tier 3 events are unlocked.

In tier 3 on the map there is a green icon that says "tier 3 events comment soon" so it appears that tier 3 events will be added in an update. There are also those green icons in tier 1 and 2 on the map, also stating that more tier 1 and 2 races and events will be coming soon also (there's lots of event hexagons on that map still).

17. TotallyImba

TotallyImba Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2010
    United Kingdom
    Love F-Zero but does this game sync progress between devices?

18. H4nd0fg0d

H4nd0fg0d Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2010
    As you made mention of upgrading the steering, I believe it to be the most important upgrade. It will allow your sluggish ship to become 100% more responsive and change direction much easier. To me, being able to negotiate the courses without tagging a wall and breaking rhythm and speed is imperative to success. And also, yes, braking or merely breaking throttle are key aspects to negotiating some turns just like a car on a road course. As always, cheers mates.

19. Devok

Devok Well-Known Member

Jul 6, 2013
    Judging on some videos the game forget run so smooth at times, even some heavier games like infinity blade or alpha 8 runs. Almost perfect, just not sure if you guys didn't restart the phone on not and also videos are same on official trailers.

20. Grimstone82

Grimstone82 Well-Known Member

Jan 3, 2011
    Northbrook, IL
    This game is amazing, and is hands down the best zero grav racer on the App Store. I haven't tried the touch controls that everyone is complaining about buy the tilt controls are absolutely PERFECT. It's so much easier to control than Repulze, and the sense of speed blows Repulze out of the water. I also love how it's just a straight forward racer like F Zero vs. weapons like Wipeout. The graphics are ridiculous too. This is probably my favorite game to come out in at least a few months, and thank freaking god it's a premium title. It is worth every single penny. Hopefully MFI support will come soon, but with the perfect tilt controls, I can wait. Seriously amazing game.