Universal Afterplace (by Evan Kice)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by JackDerp, Dec 9, 2022.

1. JackDerp

JackDerp Well-Known Member

Dec 15, 2015
    I will say

that ending boss fight was a huge swerve. I did not expect the perspective to suddenly change to 3D. Bravo to you

William Hououin likes this.
  2. David1953

David1953 Well-Known Member

May 26, 2013
    Thanks, and iPad it is then!

3. Jerutix

Jerutix Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2009
    Male
    Ministry
    Oklahoma
    What happens in the good ending?
    I didn’t get Gramps book before I found Joxxi at the playground, then I finished the game having never convinced him to come back to town. It was some dark, angry ending stuff, with the Child ignoring the computer and basically heading off to slay demons for eternity.

4. Evan Kice

Evan Kice Member

Dec 21, 2022
    Male
    Thanks! I was probably a pretty risky gamble,
    some people have a really hard time with the perspective shift and can't tell what's happening in the final fight. Good to know it's still a cool concept that people enjoy!

I won't spoil other endings, but you were definitely on the right path to a different one. If you start a new run, try talking to more people and you might be surprised what you find. :)

5. callidusdei

callidusdei New Member

Dec 31, 2022
    I'm also stuck at the end and may have encountered a bug. Any help much appreciated!

I lost Joxxi to the "kiddie section" in the library. Here's what happened: Joxxi rejoined the town, the island is breaking up, and after talking with Joxxi in the town he started to follow me. The town's residents relocated to the library.

I was exploring before going back to the computer in an attempt to close the open doors (per the bear and friends at the camp fire) and I visited the library basement. The mouse kid came with me, but Joxxi didn't. When I teleported back to the library entrance, Joxxi complained he had to walk up by himself and told me he was going to the kiddie section and left. I've combed the library several times (for maybe 90 minutes) and can't find him. He doesn't rejoin when I leave the library or restart. I don't want to go to the computer fight without Joxxi, as I get the sense he's needed to fix it and get the best ending.

Any ideas? Am I missing Joxxi somewhere? Is this a bug? Or did I lose the best ending?

6. Evan Kice

Evan Kice Member

Dec 21, 2022
    Male
    Hey there, sorry about that! This bug was fixed in 1.1.3, I would recommend updating. Unfortunately I don't have a good way of undoing this once it's happened. If you're on Android, I could try to send you a fixed save file if you're willing. If not, you will still get a fairly satisfying ending regardless! Apologies again!

7. callidusdei

callidusdei New Member

Dec 31, 2022
    Ah, shoot; on iOS. OK, no worries.

8. Rivercitycards

Rivercitycards New Member

Jan 7, 2023
    Male
    Loving this fabulous game, but have a couple of questions:

Well crap, before I ask my questions, how in the world do you use spoiler text on mobile? LOL

sebgo likes this.
  9. Anotherkellydown

Anotherkellydown Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Bronze

[ SPOILER ] your text here [ /SPOILER ] but with no spaces

10. Rivercitycards

Jan 7, 2023
    Male
    Awesome, thanks for the help!

Now for my questions :)
    I have upgraded my sword’s reach through the old man, but haven’t upgraded its power, and now I’m far enough along that the old man is on the “beach” and says he doesn’t do upgrades any more. Am I screwed or is there another place / person who does sword upgrades? Also, the main reason I’m asking about this is because I’m struggling to get through the dark forest. Should I be killing everything on my run through? I’m usually fine until the towers area…. Thanks in advance for any help!

11. Rivercitycards

Jan 7, 2023
    Male
    I should also mention I have the best armor as well.

12. Rivercitycards

Jan 7, 2023
    Male
    For anyone stuck like me with getting through the dark woods, it took me a few tries to realize I could “sneak” around the enemies without alerting them with the light. Once I learned that, it was much easier. I also found the answer to making my sword more powerful :)

13. Dillon Phillips

Dillon Phillips New Member

Jan 9, 2023
    Male
    I created an account in the hopes that the games creator, Evan, might see this.

ABSOLUTELY phenomenal game. This Zelda-like adventure game truly deserves all of the attention. Afterplace’s story is well fleshed out, and DEEP. You could stay on the beaten path and the story would be incredible and complete. The real fun comes with searching every single nook and cranny to fill in the tiniest of details mentioned throughout the playthrough. I cannot stress enough that players should talk to everyone and everything even if you think your conversation is over with a character, odds are, it isn’t!

The combat is very simple and extremely fluid, movement feels really good in Afterplace.

I’m guessing I’ve put in around 15-20 hours into before finishing, and I wish I had another 100 to go! A game this well done has no right being on your phone! I really hope the developer gets the opportunity to get Afterplace out to a variety of other platforms. Undertale translated perfectly to console and this undoubtably deserves ports too.

The worlds Evan Kice has created are suspiciously simple at first glance.
    Dig deeper.

sebgo, rslowe, gaberaph and 6 others like this.
  14. rslowe

rslowe Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2016
    I really liked this game. Huge Undertale vibes to me, between the cutesy graphics but a darker mystery hidden in its depths. It's like Undertale and Link's Awakening had a baby. I definitely recommend it to anyone who likes either of those games.

I wish there were more people breaking down the endings, though! I'm tempted to play another playthrough, but I'm not sure how far off I'm from the "golden ending." Watching Hououin's playthrough and reading around, I think there's a fair amount of variety in which characters are with you in the ending.

From what I've seen:

Bad Ending:
    Someone described a "bad" ending where you are completely alone; they seemed to imply that you go off hunting demons, but I'm not sure if this happened after you fought Top Hat or Computer.
    Good Endings:
    There is Hououin's YT Let's Play showing that Joxxi rescues you and wants to stay with you.
    In my first playthrough, Alice's mom rescued me, but Joxxi was there, too. Both wanted to stay with me. I think it was important to help Joxxi with Gramp's journal AND continue talking to Alice's mom after her duel.
    My GUESS is that there might be a way to get the mouse friend Minno there, too? The mouse rescued me from the eyeball spider but then said that he realized that he was only getting in my way. Should I have done something to keep him onboard or does he always do that? (In Hououin's YT playthrough, the mouse didn't show up at all...)
    Calculus Book:
    Someone else mentioned that it was possible to find a calculus book in the library? I don't know what this would change in the storyline or not. (e.g. Is it possible to save Gramps?) etc.
    Top Hat:
    In Hououin's YT playthrough, Top Hat is waiting at the sword -- I didn't meet him there. Is this because I had Minno with me? I only saw Top Hat right after Gramps' teleportation and then at computer, so he came out of left field for me a bit as the main villain. Where might you see Top Hat?

So many cool details in this game. I'll try a second playthrough and mess around with things.

Anotherkellydown likes this.
  15. rslowe

rslowe Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2016
    #55 rslowe, Mar 16, 2023
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2023
    I finished what I think is the "golden ending" now! It actually took me a third try. o_O

If anyone is interested in the "golden" ending, here's what you need.

You do have to get all three main characters to join you for the ending: Minno the mouse, Clover the rabbit, and Joxxi the fox. All three characters have specific things you have to do to unlock them.

Joxxi's storyline:
    Talk to him while he's struggling with math, and watch him throw the book off the edge, then you hit the book off the second ledge with your sword. If you then do the library quest, you'll find him there and he'll tag along to get the calculus book. (This section is optional, though! I did the library early in my first playthrough; he still made the teleporter.) When he makes the teleporter, encourage him to tell Gramps. Gramps WILL get sucked through the portal. Find Gramps' journal, then go to playground and patch Joxxi's mental health back up. After that, he'll be available to join you in final mission to fix the computer/world.

Clover's storyline:
    It seems that Clover requires you to find a lot of the tapes (all four plus the one she leaves behind?) and to talk to her at her house multiple times until she gives you the mission to find Alice. You'll know that you set her up properly if she leaves behind a dialog deck just before you go to the Scary Woods. She'll become your enemy in the Dialog Deck Cave, and then your only move is to beat her in Minno's world but then continue talking to her until she forgives you.

Minno's storyline:
    Become his friend and accept all his missions to prepare to go to the Big Sword. You then have to do ALL of the missions: Lantern, Armor, and Map to his liking. He'll join you on your journey to the Big Sword, then he'll rescue you from the eye spider. Just like Clover, you need to talk to him over and over again here so that he'll recognize that he isn't a burden and joins you for the last act. (You can even buy his slingshot again from the weird Pyramid Vending Machine!)

I've discovered a bunch of other stuff in my second and third playthroughs that I didn't expect. I'll make a separate post maybe later to explain some of the lore that people might miss, and there are still TWO mysteries that I haven't cracked yet. I may have to play a round #4?!

Jerutix likes this.
  16. javel

javel New Member

Mar 22, 2023
    Love this game, but I’m stuck near the end! Would love some help.

I lost Minno in the dark woods (devastating) and arrived at the big sword, where the top hat man took me to see the computer. I died in the fight with the computer, but I don’t know how to get back, because top hat man is no longer at the big sword. I’ve been running around trying to find him, but I don’t know where to look. I also don’t remember where the entrance to the cave with the tape player is.

17. javel

javel New Member

Mar 22, 2023
    Did you figure this out? I’m stuck here

18. rslowe

rslowe Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2016
    When I died once to the boss near the sword, Minno was waiting outside the forest for me and rejoined me.

If you want to avoid going through the forest all over again, you can use the tape cave shortcut. The entrance is in the north part of the lake map, which is exactly west of the four-way crossroads near the town.

19. JackDerp

JackDerp Well-Known Member

Dec 15, 2015
    Which one?

there’s a shortcut to the computer boss if you travel south right when the elevator hits the bottom

the mouse guy rejoined me near the end of the game so you don’t have to worry about him

20. sebgo

sebgo Well-Known Member

#60 sebgo, Mar 26, 2023
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2023
    I gave the game a go, to check landscape mode, and right after talking to the first NPC I headed to the right, where there's an axe stuck on a trunk. Inside that area, I walked to the righmost part and then all stage rendering was gone and I was able to walk, apparently, endlessly.

Edit: Started a new game in portrait mode, skipped talking to the first NPC and headed to tje same area. The error didn't happen. Then I switched orientation to landscape (right) and everything was fine. Started yet another new game, grabbed an acorn charm and talked to the first NPC and the error occurred again.

Attached Files: