Advice on new game

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by originalcopy, Nov 24, 2010.

1. originalcopy

originalcopy Well-Known Member

Sep 10, 2009
    Im starting a new game for the iphone, would like some advice. Im thinking about making it tower-defense based. Yea, i know, there's lots of tower-defense games out in the appstore now. But this game's hook I'm going to add is in the style, in the type of enemy waves you fight. Was thinking about adding a funny tone. Would such a unique hook, call it gimmick if you want, help with sales?

2. Voley

Voley Well-Known Member

Aug 23, 2010
    There are tons of those with fun mobs too - check out the Creeps. I would be bettr of doing some other kind of game, for example Master of Orion type games are lacking on appstore.

3. originalcopy

Sep 10, 2009
    Wow, ok. I know it's a very inacurate way to poll audience liking, but would you say it wouldnt sell, or it would do so mildly?

Hmm. I dont know if hardcore turn-based 4x strategy games would be that looked after in the appstore. What do more people think?

4. 99c_gamer

99c_gamer Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2009
    Whatever you do it would have to be pretty radical because tower defense probably the most common genre next to flight control clones.

5. Voley

Voley Well-Known Member

Aug 23, 2010
    Hardcore or not hardcore, there basically aren't any at all. Only Galcon but it's arcade really. Polished game like master of orion but with control suited for Iphone and Ipad would really be nice as it would be one on it's own.
    You should really check out the number of tower defence games, I have like 3 - and i like Creeps most, because it is polished, but this genre is getting repetitive fast and I don't even consider getting this kind of game when new one releases, be it fun new or not.

6. 99c_gamer

Mar 23, 2009
    I agree that a more hardcore tower defense would be more interesting something like Spira defence for Android.

or a funny defense game with adult humor might be fun.

7. BravadoWaffle

BravadoWaffle Well-Known Member

Sep 25, 2010
    Game Designer
    This is an overdone concept by far. The only way a tower defense game can stand out from the pack these days is if it has even cooler graphics and even better polish than the best ones out there. And that bar has been set pretty dang high already.

If you already have an artist that can make a game that is far superior in polish to games like Field Runners and Creeps and the other majorly popular TD games out there, then maybe it's worth considering. However, it would have to be one spectacular artist and your effects would have to be out of this world amazing.

You probably are better off going with a less played out game style.

8. mr.Ugly

mr.Ugly Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2009
    Berlin, Germany

well one could agree or disagree

for example i think if you would go for a rather casual approach to TD,
    this could be something of interest..

the hardcore gamer already have plenty to choose from.. but that doesnt mean there is no market..

actualy there is just a TD game release thats rushing up the charts "epic war td"

it looks alot like starcraft , so judging from the screenshots alot of work went into it..

if you can aim that high in polish.. go for it.. if not.. possible think about a smaller simpler game where you have the ressources to make it shine.

9. MrBlue

MrBlue Well-Known Member

Sep 3, 2008
    iPhone Developer
    #9 MrBlue, Nov 24, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2010
    FYI, tower defense is a trademark and you will get your app yanked if you have those 2 words anywhere in the title. Use "TD" in the title instead.

10. originalcopy

Sep 10, 2009
    Ok. Yeah, I considered some kind of turn-based strategy game. There is one, and a very popular, high profile one already, isnt it? Battle For Wesnoth. Granted that one is not in space. WOuld a Master of Orion game be popular in the appstore, or is it just what you would like to see in the Appstore?

11. originalcopy

Sep 10, 2009
    Was thinking adding something like that to make this one different. A mixture of humor and campyness. But dont know how much you can push it before Mr. Jobs gets them in a bunch.

Well, I dont have amazingly high polished graphics to make this stand out, but like 99_gamer said, adding a different humor element to it. Making references to internet slang, and common internet problems too.

Like i mentioned I dont have that high polishing to aim, but I have that funny angle to put. :)

12. mr.Ugly

mr.Ugly Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2009
    Berlin, Germany
    If you think the funny angle will open the wallets.. Go for it

13. ultimo

ultimo Well-Known Member

May 5, 2009
    how long will you keep us waiting?
    Nice name btw :)

14. I think you would need to bring some new twist to the genre for it to be "popular".

As mr.Ugly suggested, a "causal gamer" approach might be something to look at. Plants vs. Zombies is an example of a casual TD-like game that has done very well.

Come up with some unique and funny concept like that and you might have something worth buying.

15. originalcopy

Sep 10, 2009
    #15 originalcopy, Nov 25, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2010
    Ok, I'm liking that, and I think I do have a unique and funny concept, but I dont have a fully done layout of it. Dont know if it should it be like plants vs. zombies, with one arena, with slightly different backdrops to avoid boredom, and the level of difficulty being the number and speed at which the enemies attack, keep that straightforward TD mechanics.

16. rmlinden

rmlinden Active Member

Nov 10, 2010
    This is not always true me thinks. When I have a game that I really like, but played it to a pulp, then I hope to see new content. If that is not available from the original game, then ill look for substitutes.

Dang, spoken like a true crackhead :)

But overall you are right !

17. 99c_gamer

Mar 23, 2009
    Wrong thread

18. headcaseGames

headcaseGames Well-Known Member

Jun 26, 2009
    Mobile Game Developer
    Hollywood, CA
    Now this has my attention.. "Tower Defense with Adult Situations"