Advertising and TouchArcade

Discussion in 'Site Feedback and News' started by arn, Jun 12, 2009.

1. HJJ

HJJ Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2008
    How many people have reviewed the game so far?

So far, at the US store, I see:

5 stars - 145
    4 stars - 19
    3 stars - 19
    2 stars - 9
    1 star - 15

So, that's a total of 207. Of those 207, only 24 deemed the game "below average". That's about 12%. I think this is a pretty good indicator that the game is generally well received. I personally don't consider people who post here to have any kind of special opinions.

2. arn

arn Administrator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Apr 19, 2008
    Since some people keep saying this. I decided to count.

20 People gave Positive Reviews
    5 People gave Neutral/Undecided Reviews
    12 People gave Negative Reviews

So the majority of people on TA forums gave it a positive review.

3. starjimstar

starjimstar Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2008
    Entrepreneur
    Canada
    Ha, and you felt it necessary to point out I was arguing semantics. 20 to 17 is not a wide margin at all. And even that only has substance if you consider a TA forum discussion a balanced test sample. Have fun arguing your moot points. Goodnight kids.

4. DaveMc99

DaveMc99 Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2009
    Seattle, WA USA
    20 is a majority opinion that this game is a 4 or 5 above standard. Zachawry even agrees this game is a 3 standard.. only 12 think this game is a 1 or 2 substandard. The small group of people that think this game is bad are out of sync with the majority opinion of the game site reviewers, iTunes reviewers and posters in the thread about the game.

5. CDubby94

CDubby94 Well-Known Member

Mar 31, 2009
    Betty White
    If you knew what a review actually was, you'd know it would have to be biased since it reflects the opinions of THE PERSON WHO IS REVIEWING IT.

Star Defense is a hit with pretty much all review sites, including AppVee, so I don't think it's just this crappy game that only the mods like when that's clearly untrue. Maybe if you got over yourselves a little you'd realize the vast majority of people who played the game love it, and that just because you don't like something doesn't mean a majority find it substandard. Last time I checked you're only one person.

If you're one of the MINORITY that dislikes the game go ahead and right your own review about it, but realize it will be biased just like anybody else's review because it's only your opinion.

6. HJJ

HJJ Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2008
    First of all, people at are ONLY complaining about Touch Arcade forum members' opinions being disregarded. The argument refers specifically to the thread Arn dissected.

Secondly, hahaha. Why don't you tell us, Dr. Wordsmith, the definition of "majority". The only thing moot around here is pretentious, inaccurate views like what you've exhibited here.

7. starjimstar

Sep 28, 2008
    Entrepreneur
    Canada

And that was my point. Some, like yourself, are taking this personally: perhaps even a little too personally. All I am saying is 44.7% is not an inconsequential figure. I did not use the word 'majority' because it has little significance in this instance.

8. HJJ

HJJ Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2008
    The point is that, in context, people were complaining that "most" reviews were negative. That is patently untrue.

9. different

different Well-Known Member

Aug 8, 2008
    This discussion (read: argument) is hilarious. I've yet to see a professional review that takes the game to task, it's been very well received. I guess you all feel bad because it's not 99 cents and you spent more than you usually do on a game.

10. theone1007

theone1007 Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2009
    USA
    Well arn, you can move me to the positive side if you like. I absolutely love this game and although it has some features missing, it's still fun nonetheless. ngmoco worked very hard on this game, they paid a lot for all the ads on other sites, and they know what they're doing.

I don't see why having a Star Defense ad and a good review on Star Defense is such a big deal. I didn't like Peggle much, maybe I should rant on every single site that said Peggle was perfect and gave it glowing reviews. Seriously, whoever was disappointed with Star Defense is their fault for not researching, looking at gameplay videos, and looking for more reviews other than TA. TA isn't going to hold your hand on which game to buy and which one you shouldn't buy.

11. arn

arn Administrator

Apr 19, 2008
    ok guys. this is getting off topic, so let's wind it down.

grammar correction, is specifically, against, the rules, because, it doesn't add, anything constructive,
    http://forums.toucharcade.com/announcement.php?f=2

so please stop. (grammar posts deleted)

12. menom

menom Well-Known Member

Nov 21, 2008
    photography
    London, UK.
    How Ironic - you choose to include the 5 'undecided' reviews with those who dont like the game meaning instead of 12 against you get 17!

who's showing bias now

the true reflection of TA opinions at time taken was 20 positive to 12 negative - almost twice as many liking the game as those disliking

but hey, don't let you own bias get in the way of totting up the figures:p

13. jonlink

jonlink Well-Known Member

May 26, 2009
    Sasquatch
    Japan
    #33 jonlink, Jun 14, 2009
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2009
    I'm confused. Four and five are "above standard" and 3 is "standard" and then 1 and 2 are "below standard." What the heck is "standard"? Do you mean "average"? I also think this is why polls are stupid. Numbers don't lie, but the people using them can bend them to their arguments. If you really want to get behind a glowing reviewing with numbers you need to count only the 4 or 5 star reviews. Rating a game as average does not support the view that the game meets or exceeds the expectations of the review.

Anyway. That aside. I've been thinking about this and I think the problem is two fold.

1) Everything we know about influences us in some way. That is just human nature. Knowing that the thing being reviewed is from an advertiser is going to influence a person. In what way and to what degree will vary. It could be make a reviewer lead towards the positive or the negative (giving in or fighting it). This can happen on a conscious level or not, but it will happen. What difference it actually makes at the end of the day is up for a case-by-case debate. Which is what we are seeing in the comments.

2) The continued need for advertising is understandable. Newspapers and magazines do it all the time. The seed of mistrust is watered pretty thoroughly by readers seeing the advertising directing attached to the review. Consider how you would feel reading a magazine review of a band's new CD on one page and an ad for their CD across from it. You'd probably be suspicious too. That's not wrong, a mark of intelligence is to not accept everything at face value without questioning. Trust is earned, you don't have it from the get-go.

Arn, you seem uncomfortable and annoyed with people not trusting the reviews. That doesn't help either. Telling people to trust the site or take a walk is insulting. What's more, those folks aren't going to go anywhere. It is fine if you want to sell advertising for games you review, but you can't get all huffy-puffy every time someone gets suspicious.

Remember, the advertisers are just advertisers. The readers are the customers. Without them your ad space is worthless. Be patient with people and stop trying to take the ball home with you when something you don't like happens.

ps.
    That isn't what irony is.

14. Spartan12103

Spartan12103 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2009
    USA
    I think why people are mad is that Star Defense got such glowing reviews, like fantastic ones, when in reality it's a pretty average app, plus its price point is a bit high.

15. DaveMc99

DaveMc99 Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2009
    Seattle, WA USA
    That is what the discussion is about.. for whatever reason the minority that think this is an average app think their view should be everyone's reality.

16. menom

menom Well-Known Member

Nov 21, 2008
    photography
    London, UK.
    Congrats - you've just proven a long held but, previously, unproved theory that some people just don't get irony:D

If you think that someone who alleges another's bias alters their evaluation of a product - and then, that same person includes data labelled 'undecided' with the 'negatives' to try and prove their point - if you think that's isn't ironic then you really don't get it at all:eek::p

17. arn

arn Administrator

Apr 19, 2008
    Hi jonlink,

As I said, I understand the perception, and am happy to address those questions and have. There are perhaps two types of people here.

1) Those with legitimate concerns, which I do find understandable. And to those, I've explained as best I can. The site accepts advertising, the advertising does not affect the reviews. Eli (the reviewer) has no knowledge of the advertising deals that are underway, and this review was started well before Ngmoco committed to ads on this site. As you said, the objectivity and trust of the site is all we really have, so we take that very seriously, and that's something we've taken a year to build and tossing it out for a single week of advertising stupid. If you stop to think about it, it's not something any sane person would do. Ngmoco's advertising is a very small percentage of the site's income.

2) There are those who have already made up their mind and are bordering on "trolls" who have taken every opportunity to bad-mouth this site and developers (based on looking back at their historical posts). These people have made up their mind, and are simply being (for lack of better term) trolls, and not looking for any discussion or back-and-forth. For these people, nothing I can say will change their opinion.

arn

18. starjimstar

Sep 28, 2008
    Entrepreneur
    Canada
    I have not even played the game. I have no leaning in this matter. I don't even know what gives you that impression. Does disregarding the opinions of 5 people say anything about you? ;) Not that it matters anyway. There appeared to be a consensus that a review is a glorified personal opinion, so how is the illusion of a democracy even relevant? Arn and Hodapp were correct (semantics aside) in the first place, they didn't need to resort to clouding the issue.

19. menom

menom Well-Known Member

Nov 21, 2008
    photography
    London, UK.
    Huh?

5 people said they were undecided - adding their number to a list of those disliking a game isn't being in regard of their opinions - it's deciding for them what you think their opinion should be

and when I alluded to your bias I wasn't alleging bias against the game - but bias in wanting to prove a point and reading statistics in a way that was false but suited your argument

if it's any consolation, don't fret - you're not alone; politicians and marketing people do the same thing day in - day out;)

20. starjimstar

Sep 28, 2008
    Entrepreneur
    Canada
    #40 starjimstar, Jun 15, 2009
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2009
    What argument is that? I was calling the so-called statistical data irrelevant. It is irrelevant. You should take your own advice. You are not fooling anyone.

EDIT: I will not be responding to anymore childish comments. Make a valid case or do not address me.