Universal Adventures of Pip (by Tic Toc Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by metalcasket, Jul 2, 2015.

1. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    The game was listed under Best New Games (visible without having to tap "See All") for an entire week.

2. chief78

chief78 Well-Known Member

Jul 24, 2012
    #102 chief78, Jul 11, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2015
    I guess I hadn't seen this last week. I saw this pop up under hot new games this last Wednesday, and therefor thought this game had just come out. Well, that's on me.

EDIT: I just searched all over the app store for this game.....at least in the US, this game was not featured anywhere. The last week's advertised games always show up under the newest advertised games, and this isn't there. So, i was wrong about this just coming out, but at least here, the game didn't get promoted. Otherwise I would've known about this last week and acted accordingly.

3. Warthog

Warthog New Member

Jul 8, 2015
    Airline Pilot
    Georgia
    Great game. Have not had any of the reported GC crash issues on my 6+. The touch controls are not awful but still lacking. Seems like this game was made for Mfi. Using my Horipad this game really shines. It's a must play even at $14.99 if you have an Mfi controller.

4. shadowgamerr

shadowgamerr Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2011
    Living life and Playing mobile games
    Right by your side
    For $15 you have to have a great game, high level of polish and the previous sale actually featured for all to see.

It has controls that leave to be desired and no Icloud support at launch, so in this condition an $8 untill they do something about it would have been a better choice.

There's Oceanhorn, 8 dollars and a beautiful experience, good controls and iCloud. There's Adventures of Pip, 15 dollars not so good controlls, no iCloud. Different genres you'd say, but it's about product value for money. They also have great support, but I don't see anyone from AoP coming and telling that they will do something about giving resizable controls or something like that for start. And that's a let down.

5. demod1

demod1 Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2012
    The Executive beat this game out for game of the week and it's three dollars… Easy choice for me. But after all I've heard about this game, if it does drop way back down for a sale… I will pick it up, provided I get wind of it.

6. jpgold

jpgold Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2012
    Online Ad Sales - Pandora
    New York, NY
    This is a great point and was thinking the same. Maybe I missed it, but has anyone affiliated with this game spoken up? I bought it at the sale price and as I have posted earlier, I really want to love it as I think it is a great game. I don't use a controller or anything so really rely on solid touch controls. As many have said, that is where this game is lacking. I assume of all things that this would be an easy one to fix (although I am no developer). It's like they just threw it out there and are on to the next with no regard for customer satisfaction/keeping people happy.

Basically....would love to hear from them.

7. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany
    #107 Vovin, Jul 13, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2015
    Yeah, some of you "omg it's 15 bucks"-guys, go on. That's exactly the way to ruin premium gaming.

8. Shkrbby

Shkrbby Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2015
    Absolutely delightful platformer. Fantastic work devs.

9. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    The thread was here on the first page all during the sale. I wouldn't rely on the App Store to tell me always about quality games. Suprised some people seemed to miss it

Finding the controls on my iPhone 6 fine for this. Still enjoying this. A really good platformer

10. drmad

drmad Well-Known Member

Jun 2, 2013
    Indonesia
    Yeah totally fine control on 6+
    I Doesn’t need controller to enjoy it

11. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany
    #111 Vovin, Jul 14, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2015

Could also be that even the $5 sale was too much money for some, no matter why. But now they have an extra reason to vent. I just can't believe that most of the people complaining (this includes the people on the front page via Disqus) have missed the game (and the sale) for a whole week.

12. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Exactly, the thread was on the first page of the forums, for regulars i'm surprised anyone missed this. Again i'll be interested to know how well it sells at this higher price, 'could' be a sign of things to come if this pans out for them. Problem is we're all spoilt with cheap games the second this goes to the higher price people are fainting about it.

Like you say i think they werent happy with the $5 price and were waiting for a price drop and instead the dev stuck to their guns and its gone up and its upset a few people. Bold move by the devs but i hope it works out for them, sounds funny as i may be paying more for games in the future but personally i'm fine with that. Never been a promo code chaser or starbucks begger etc

I would rant about how expensive games were in the 80's and how kids have it so good now as they're so cheap but still moan but i wont ;)

13. shadowgamerr

shadowgamerr Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2011
    Living life and Playing mobile games
    Right by your side
    The problem, as I pointed out earlier, is not the fact that they ask 5, 10, 15 or whatever other sum they choose to but rather how this launch and sale was handled.

You come with a sale, then you make sure you are featured in ALL the countries to make it visible so that EVERYONE can check the game and decide if they want to buy it or not. At $5 dollars, it is pricier than your average platformer BUT they have the advantage of having had favorable reviews on PC and bringing to the table some fancy new mechanic that adds something new to the genre.

So at this point, we're in the exclusive 66% off timeframe, we have the game nice and visible (in that fair and square with everyone world) and everyone knows it's easy to look up for reviews from the PC to see if it's up their alley. The problem is not everyone knew about it, and don't be arrogant as to assume everyone is on TouchArcade's forums, because that's simply not the case. You don't make a sale for a new game thinking " Oh my god, oh my god, it's on TA's forums! How awesome is that??? Why not just leave it as is and reach whatever the visitors number instead of aiming for a broader audience by having it to the front page in all the countries".

Now, people have downloaded the game, so we're in Phase 2. They just discovered that there are some actual problems with the controls and the perfect game we downloaded is not so perfect. It requires an extra 20-30 bucks to enjoy (you know, those little MFI controllers). In addition to that, where the heck is the iCloud support? I paid 5 dollars, not a buck or two, I want to be able to enjoy it on the bus, on my phone, at home on my iPad and on the toilet seat back again on the phone (or tablet) - wherever the heck I want to.

But whatever, you will say, it's just 5 bucks... Well, sure, it is just 5 bucks, but the competition is big. Now, we're in Phase 3. We have no word from the developer that he is reworking the controls a bit (resizable or whatever other solutions) or that he plans on integrating some basic iCloud save syncing. Instead, we have the price raised, despite those missing things that would make the game feel perfectly worth the price.

And don't even come at me with "Hey, it's just the controls and iCloud" becuase at this price, considering controls are the most important thing for a platformer (in terms of gameplay), if you don't get that right you might as well just move along and stay on consoles and pc's and whatever non-touchscreen, more dev-friendly environments. iCloud is also a necessity considering the amount of freedom it provides for one in terms of portability.

So for those of you TL;DR, the main thing is not that the developer raised the price to a good 15$ instead of dropping free, it's the fact that he didn't come listen to what the players have to say in those crucial first 7 days of sale to see if there's anything wrong with the perfect game.

iOS and Android, two very distinct markets, both ruined by cheap people, free to play (where you pay more than premium but there are still idiots who don't get this) and premium is struggling to find its voice. While 5 dollars, or as I said earlier, 8 dollars, would be totally fine, 15 without solving first the controls and implementing iCloud is too much, for now.

A solution would be to make a small update to the description of the app in the store saying that they're working on refining the controls, so people aren't to worry after reading reviews, and can expect better times.

But right now, I wouldn't hold my breath.

14. noteatino

noteatino Well-Known Member

Jun 27, 2014

Totally agree with your comment about the price rising without fixing the controls.
    Looks like they're aware of the problem and they are working on that https://twitter.com/tictocgames/status/620648560191602688

Also I replied inviting them to this thread.

15. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Always thought they would sort the controls out. Most devs listen

Still can't believe how many people missed out on the sale. The thread here was active.

16. terrence92

terrence92 Well-Known Member

Nov 12, 2013
    I didn't buy this game bc the controlls were not ok so I waited so yeah :p

17. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    I find it highly amusing people are trying to convince themselves that this isn't worth the $15 based on control issues. What control issues? Yes, they're a tad bit on the smaller side of the spectrum, but last I checked I wasn't having problems playing the game, psj doesn't appear to have any issues either...and there's a 4.5/5 review on the TA front-page telling you to go and buy this like it was the last game on earth. smh. Whatever.

18. kopicha

kopicha Well-Known Member

Feb 21, 2015
    IT
    #118 kopicha, Jul 15, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2015
    Agree... Got the game at launch and it play fine for me too. Option to both touch and mfi support and both get their job done. Those claims are so uncalled for. It's really amusing that whenever we have quality premium games people nitpick them at the same time bitching about freemium games that we need more premium games. Mobile gamers are really spoiled brats :(

Just because there are a bunch of $1 - $2 games on mobile does not mean every premium games should be price that way. Especially for the case of a game like this where there is a PC counterpart selling at the same price point. There is no reason why is game should cost significantly less simply because it's ported over to mobile devices. It's like saying a full $50 game on PS3 should be sold at $5 if ported to Vita. People are forgetting that it's not a water down version or a spin off but the exact core game being ported over. So I feel people needs to learn to appreciate them.

19. abazigal

abazigal Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2013
    My Mad Catz controller arrived yesterday and I am having a blast with this game. Just glad I snapped it up at its discounted price on launch day.

To derail a little, is there a list of games that support MFI controllers? I feel like a whole new gaming experience has been unlocked and I would like to explore this area more. Thanks.

20. chief78

chief78 Well-Known Member

Jul 24, 2012
    #120 chief78, Jul 16, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2015
    Along with Asphalt 8, Reckless 2 and 3, Implosion, MC5, Xenowerk, Transistor, and both Halo: Spartan Assault and Spartan Strike (which play phenomenally at least on my MOGA Rebel).

EDIT: Also most of the King of Fighters games (if not all) support MFi. You can also try "Game Controller Apps" which is an app that sometimes updates, but has a huge list....some good, some not so good but a place to branch off from ;)

Attached Files: