Universal Adventure Xpress (by [Adult Swim])

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by PeteOzzy, Oct 1, 2014.

1. Qwertz555

Qwertz555 Well-Known Member

May 22, 2010
    Ok, this deserves an answer...

- FOR ME timer is timer, no matter how lenient
    - died and used all potions (obviously i suck at this boss/game)
    - 98% i won't buy consumable iap and a sure 100% in a timer game
    - even grinded some before i spent everything (coins + stamps) on the best upgrades and armors available
    - yes, did not wait for half an hour because i'm an old fashioned player who wants to stick with the one game i choose to invest my precious play time
    - video watching was not available !

Since this was the only game i had installed on my phone and my first match3 game ever, i have to wait (timer again) for the next releases. *kidding*

Whatever - i always wish the Devs only the best luck and success.

2. SwimCeej

SwimCeej Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2008
    I help make iOS games!
    Atlanta, GA
    No, there is no coin doubler purchase in this game.

3. macplash

macplash Well-Known Member

Apr 17, 2014
    Male
    3D artist
    Munich, Germany
    I posted some positive words about the game a few pages back but after a leveling up myself a little bit I do have a complain about the freemium model not being as fair as it seems at the beginning. For example, I'm level 7 and there's a weapon or armor at lvl 8 with better values accessible to "buy early for stamps", so I'm gaining XP to increase my level and imagine my surprise, after achieving the level 8, those weapons and armor are still unavailable for in game currency, there's still only "buy early" option. So it doesn't matter I leveled up, I still can't buy those particular items for in game currency. There's always one or two similar with lower stats to buy, that's right, but this doesn't seem right and I feel I was tricked. Now I'm level 9 but I can't buy anything better than a level before for in game currency and that's the fact I don't like at all. As I wrote before, I'm not a fan of freemium model and this is why. I'd be more than happy to support the developer with IAP for removing ads or coin doubler but it won't change the fact the game is not giving you an option to buy fair items for in game currency. I'm not even saying about upgrading the spells where 4 positions are for in game currency but the last one is for stamps only (and considering how much you can get during the game without IAP it's pretty much impossible to upgrade those spells for full potential without paying a real money), it's just a shame. So I had quite a fun for a few hours, but here we are with the timers and paywalls again. I'd rather pay a few bucks for premium content as I'm always doing with other games (and I bought hundreds of them) than accept this sort of unfair freemium model. If it was similar to e.g. Sky Force with it's 3 IAP for removing ads, removing timers and star doubler to making the game pretty much premium I wouldn't hesitate to support the developer, but it's not gonna happen in this case, sorry.

4. Zeillusion

Zeillusion Well-Known Member

Sep 30, 2013
    Just beat the first area / earth boss. Enjoying the game tons! It's a great match 3 RPG, very refreshing and thoroughly executed. Everything is done perfectly. I'm loving it, especially the armor / skill / weapon progression. The enemies are hilarious! Adult swim, keep it up.

5. verlaine

verlaine Well-Known Member

Jul 26, 2012
    Up to the Stiff Cliffs :) Still lots of fun (but now I'm doing a lot of grinding to afford spell upgrades; they make a big difference in later battles). Gotta love seeing the responses to those letters :p The gameplay mechanics aren't original, but they're pretty solid. And yep--I wouldn't mind sinking in a few bucks for a coin doubler.

6. Misguided

Misguided Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2009
    I think there may be a bug with those particular items. At least a couple of people mentioned it and I had noticed it too.

7. Oka-mi

Oka-mi Active Member

Oct 28, 2012
    #87 Oka-mi, Oct 4, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2014
    Played through to world 2, and I already feel like I've basically seen all the game has to offer.
    It's a very shallow game with a very nice aesthetic to it (which is the only thing that kept me playing as long as I did).
    Feels like a waste of the talent behind it, it could've been so much more.

8. After world 2 it's unforgiven. You do a wrong move you're doomed.

9. Rosso

Rosso Well-Known Member

Dec 17, 2010
    Had that feeling even earlier. And worst: we really have seen everything already.

Very disappointing after a great first 30 minutes...

10. Womble

Womble Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2013
    Exactly how I feel.

11. orangecan

orangecan Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2011
    Agree completely unfortunately....

12. C.Hannum

C.Hannum Well-Known Member

Feb 13, 2011
    New York State
    In line with "we already seen everything" posts right before this one, it took me a while to figure out where the "offness" to this title is, and once I realized it, ironically liking it a little better.

The game superficially looks like a simple combat rpg-lite game fueled by a match-3 puzzle mechanic. We have tons of games that fit that model, PaD, Battle Camp, Fable Age, Dungeon Gems, etc.., which is why it's easy to think this game is yet another.

However, the combat here is more of like the sort of animated screens you get on a pinball machine: there may be a pixellated dog fight going on between fighter planes on the display, but you're really just playing pinball no matter what theme the table has.

This is *just* a match-3 game no different than Candy Crush Saga or Bejewelled and has very little in common with the superficially similar puzzle-RPG games it looks like at first. The little avatar with its health could be any other abstract concept to limit the length of time you have meet the goals of the level, ditto for the enemy health. Where many of these puzzle RPGs are using puzzler elements to fuel a combat system for a simplified RPG, Adventure Xpress is the opposite: it's merely a puzzle game that has found a novel way of dressing up the turns/time meter used in many of these games with a score threshold/number of matches to beat before the turns/time runs out to reach the next level.

The weapons could just be matching bonus powerups you buy in these games, the armor extra time to reach the score, and the magic spells are earned powerups.

Once I stopped trying to see it as puzzler RPG and just a puzzle game with an amusingly re-skinned clock, I felt less critical about it. It's still iterative and unambitious, but it's pretty good for what it is: another mass market aimed match-3 level based puzzle game.

13. macplash

Apr 17, 2014
    Male
    3D artist
    Munich, Germany
    The thing is I wasn't looking for anything more serious than good old fashioned Match3 puzzle game so I have to disagree with your statement about being less critical. I don't mind the battle animations at all, to be honest I barely notice them during the gameplay except the finishing moves. I was posting my thoughts stricly on Match3 gaming mechanics experience and after finishing the 4th world and move to XP level 12 I'm still thinking the same. The freemium model sucks and it doesn't matter if the "buy early" option is the bug (as someone mentioned before) or intention, it's still there and ruining the overall experience. I wouldn't compare this game to PopCap's Bejeweled at all, I'm playing Bejeweled saga for years and it's still fun. On the other hand, this game is simple, not deep enough, but honestly I didn't expect it to be with previous experience with Doombad Castle which was not that deep itself. If it was intended as premium from the beginning, the gameplay would be balanced better and the game was more complex, but I understand the developer is expecting some income for his effort. The fact is, nothing's really free...

14. Misguided

Misguided Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2009
    This game is much closer to Spellfall than Puzzle Quest. However, it is MUCH better balanced than Spellfall. I am up to level 13 and have not unlocked anything early, nor have I repeated a single location. Many of the battles (especially bonus battles and boss fights) are tense affairs that can be overcome through skillful play. I have had enough money to buy upgrades as they become available by choosing wisely which ones to get and which to skip.

I would love to see a bit more variety in enemy abilities, but the board layouts do at least keep every single fight from seeming identical (like Spellfall). The game relies a bit too heavily on creation and use of special tiles, IMO, but it is fun to unleash huge attacks.

A deeper game would be awesome, but that isn't what they were going for, and what is here is very well done. As freemium games go, I've seen much, much worse. I'm glad the ads can be skipped immediately.

15. kenken11

kenken11 Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2012
    Is there any ways to change my character after starting the game? Please advice

16. Lazer Kat

Lazer Kat Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2013
    #96 Lazer Kat, Oct 5, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2014
    I'm really enjoying this game so far, but the music...it's just not right.
    It doesn't go with the game, and it doesn't sound professional.

Weird choice coming from this Developer/Publisher duo. They are usually both so great when it comes to these things.

The menu's parallax like effect still entertains me every time. They did that very well. Little things like this add a lot to the games overall feeling of polish.

17. nicodemus82

nicodemus82 Well-Known Member

Well, for some unknown reason the app now crashes every time I try to open it :(

18. Wicked8146

Wicked8146 Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Nov 17, 2009
    Dinosaur hunter
    Los Angeles
    I kinda keep hoping the game will give me something other than a moderate amount of coins when I beat a level (random weapon, stamps, cosmetic loot?) but it's always the same. That was cool at first but not sure that is going to sustain my interest as I continue. It leads me to believe this will just turn into a grindfest as prices get higher for new gear.

19. SwimCeej

SwimCeej Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2008
    I help make iOS games!
    Atlanta, GA
    Coins, stamps and spell potions are what you'll find in the end-level loot. BTW if you've not done the sidequests throughout, you can go back to those and if you're overleveled they'll be easier and you'll be able to gain a pretty good amount of loot from those.

20. macplash

Apr 17, 2014
    Male
    3D artist
    Munich, Germany
    And by that you mean more coins, stamps and spell potions. And by "more" I mean ridiculously small amount compared to what we need for upgrades and "buy early". Don't get me wrong, the game is nice for an hour or so but there's no depth or lasting appeal and that's the fact. It's 5/10 game, period.