Universal Adventure To Fate : Core Quest (Development Blog)

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by Touchmint, Jul 10, 2024 at 7:13 PM.

1. Touchmint

Touchmint Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Developer
    Phoenix
    Now that Adventure To Fate Lost Island has gained its footing and I am happy with how its game engine is working I will be starting on remastering my older games.

The first up is Adventure To Fate : A Quest To The Core. QTTC was the first Adventure To Fate game and my first game released on the app store. It was released about 10 years ago (after about 2 years of development)

The game engine for QTTC was custom written in objective-c and xcode and is still in use today. The engine has been under constant development and has matured quite a bit. Most of the upgrades of the system have been done for VoiceOver accessibility. 

Now that the game engine is much more accessible for all I feel it is time to remaster the original game and bring it up to par with the latest release. QTTC was not accessible at all so a majority of the audience (VO users have not been able to play the game).

The game itself was removed from the App Store by Apple a few years back so this is even more incentive to bring it back and up to date.

A problem I have run into is that I no longer have the original game on any devices and the old code is so old from the previous game. So this means I will be manually comparing the data files (rooms,npcs, items and skills) to recreate the game. Not to go into too much detail but I’ll basically be reforming the data sheets to match the input of the new engine while trying to keep everything true to the original atleast to start.

I am still a little unsure how I will approach this so I’m sure things will change during the development process. Some of the decisions I must make are below

How many changes will I make?

Well this was my first game and I can honestly say it was lacking beyond just the engine in quite a few ways. So I plan on getting the game back to the original state and then going from there with changes.

I will likely include new features such as pets and crafting and all the features of the newest Lost Island. It will also include all of the QoL features (most importantly the accessibility engine) but also things like the directional pad, bestiary, and updated menu interfaces.

What will stay the same?

I will plan to use all the old classes and monsters but if they are a bit boring I will try to enrich them a bit. I also plan to slip a few current classes in.

What will the game cost?

As for the pricing I plan on a flat rate of $1-$2 (depending on how many changes I make and features I add). I may also add a donation / tip area (there is even a chance I do this and make the price free).

When will it be ready?

Well on this one I really have no idea. It’s dependent on the problems I encounter and the amount of new content I add.

The plan now is to get the game as close as possible to the original content wise and then evaluate from there.

This thread will serve as a blog of sorts for me to share and log progress.

Thanks as always for the support and feel free to ask any questions that might pop up.

naghihimutuc likes this.
  2. Touchmint

Oct 19, 2011
    Developer
    Phoenix
    6/9/24

The first thing I wanted to do is reshape the games data files to fit the new game engines parameters.

Basically the old data files are setup in an excel sheet.

For example a monster file has each monster on a row and the columns are its attributes (strength, gold dropped, exp, item drops, image etc). Over time I’ve added and changed these attributes (QTTC didn’t even have intelligence as a stat!?!). The original monster file had about 40 attributes while the current lost island has about 60.

Because of this I need to reshape the old files 1 by 1 to make sure they fit. This also means I need to go back and make sure each image exists in the project folder (I had deleted unused images from previous games to save file space).

Rather tedious but also exciting to go back and explore how I created things 10+ years ago.

I’ll be honest I likely had not even played the old game for about 5-7 years so it was fun to explore the content and think back on my mindset back then.

So I was able to get about 95% of the map working. This meant reshaping the excel file but also going and finding and upscaling about 70 image files (back then the room image sizes were 24x24 and now they are 144-144) so I went into gimp and manually resized these images (otherwise they would be blurry).

So I managed to complete that and I was able to walk through about 95% of the map after turning off monster encounters since the same will have to be done with them.

Good progress and it’s fun to experience the map once again.

3. naghihimutuc

naghihimutuc Well-Known Member

Mar 11, 2020
    …yeah. Instabuy. Your games have always been fun to mess around with. :) I wasn’t able to play Quest to the Core and it would be great to get a remastered version of the thing.

Touchmint likes this.
  4. Touchmint

Oct 19, 2011
    Developer
    Phoenix
    thanks for the support! It’s been a little slow going so far shaping the data files but I’ve already got some good ideas to spice things up and make it unique!

5. Touchmint

Oct 19, 2011
    Developer
    Phoenix
    12-14th of July.

Still working on remodeling data sheets for the most part. While working through these I’ve had some ideas about alternate bosses to spice things up a bit. Trying not to jump the gun on making any changes but it’s hard haha.

Going through old files to find and match up music / sound effects.

Next ill be lining up the classes skill code to make sure all that still works.