Universal Adventure to Fate: Battle Arena JRPG (by TouchMint)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by PeteOzzy, Jan 21, 2015.

1. Touchmint

Touchmint Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Developer
    Phoenix

Spent the morning making some modifications to some items. Here is how I have the new Leggings of Rebirth.

I still want to keep them mainly druid themed but I do want to make them a bit more universal.

Leggings of Rebirth
    Ac 10 > 15
    Wis 4
    Agi 0 > 2
    SP Recovery 15
    HP Recovery 15

Also is rogue the only class you have played so far and have you completed the Frost Arena with it?

2. nosoup4crr

nosoup4crr Well-Known Member

Apr 29, 2011
    it's a pretty good game. The scope is frustratingly small. That is to say that I find myself wishing it had more of a traditional jrpg feel (a story, different locations, a good vs. evil vibe, and much more content overall). But, for what it is, it's pretty great. Despite its deficiencies, it stays addictive and interesting to some like me. And that's due, majoritarily, to character customization. You give me 6 distinctly different classes and 6 distinctly different races, I'll stay busy trying to make many characters as effective as possible. The game actually becomes less and Rpg and more of a puzzle game, where the question is: how can I build/rebuild this character to move onto the next stage? Unfortunately, by the end of the game, all the potential promised by good bones (lots of characters and classes; varied mechanics like stun, leech, poison; a huge bank for tons of mixing and matching skills) is undermined by the game's small small framework. Many of the characters meld together into a similar feel. The gear options are too limited to have them play more than a haphazard role in character planning. And the game becomes difficult in a way that rewards a singular type of character creation.

For a small game with what looks like a single developer, you do a few things as well or better than the big boys. And that's encouraging. But, as little as the endeavor would make economic sense, all these games that approach customization like a threshold you have to meet just make me wish I could find a game that really embraces it and goes all out.

3. Ryanvdw

Ryanvdw Active Member

Jan 22, 2015
    Yeh thats a good change, just make them purple or yellow quality #. Ive played all classes but i finished the frost arena on my knight. Now im just getting chars up to level 28 and maxing the proffesions. Once i have them all maxed ill start trying to finish it on each class!

4. Touchmint

Oct 19, 2011
    Developer
    Phoenix
    Hey thanks for the detailed review!

I do agree the story could be a little better and exploration really makes jrpgs. Im glad that despite that it still entertained you and yes I am a 1 man. I actually quit my corporate job last year to focus on making this game and its prequel.

Thank you for the endgame insight as well. Hopefully in updates to come I can expand gear usage to give the player more options. I already have pages of notes / story for the next Adventure To Fate which will be very story driven and offer exploration like the first.

Its an honor to know on some level that I am doing it better than the big AAA companies and thanks for pointing out what I could do better!

I really appreciate you taking time to play my game and coming on here to give your feedback!

5. Womble

Womble Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2013
    Wow I cannot beat the beetle queen with my priest at all :(

6. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Congrats on a well-deserved glowing review on the front page!

7. Touchmint

Oct 19, 2011
    Developer
    Phoenix
    I suggest killing the queen first otherwise she's going to keep spawning babies. if you are level 12 use holy armor (it should greatly reduce how much you get hit for). If you are still having trouble and not level 12 maybe go back and get it by replaying a few earlier levels.

Also be mindful of using stat potions.

There are int potions that will give your more spell damage and healing powers

There are also armor potions that will reduce how hard you get hit which helps since they have quite a few attacks.

8. Womble

Womble Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2013
    Ok thanks, i did it by getting to level 12 and using armor potion :)

9. Touchmint

Oct 19, 2011
    Developer
    Phoenix

Thanks I was very excited to see that! I wasnt sure if I was on the radar of the reviewers here but looks like I made it. I am pretty sure its because of all the hype from you guys on this thread so I really appreciate it!

For anyone who is loving the game I would love your vote on the game of the week thread. I know being a small indie dev I dont stand much of a chance against some of the great professional games released during this giant week but it cant hurt to try!

Here is the GOTW thread: http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=253593

Thanks again everyone for the support I really cant say enough how much I appreciate it.

10. Touchmint

Oct 19, 2011
    Developer
    Phoenix
    BTW this is awesome & if its cool I would love to use this on the website and whatever else you can come up with. I have all this item info but its horribly formatted in the database so not much use.

11. Retro Nug

Retro Nug Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    The Netherworld
    A well deserved review. Glad it's gettin some attention.

12. ALWH1588

ALWH1588 Member

May 7, 2014
    Those are my thoughts as well. It's cool to see this game getting some attention even tho the dev is rather unknown! After beating and replaying it this has got to be my game of the week vote. Good luck to this phoenix based dev it's cool to see the city represented.

Question any chance we will see any new classes or races in further updates?

13. Ryanvdw

Ryanvdw Active Member

Jan 22, 2015
    Anyone having any luck finishing the game as a cleric or wizard? Im stuck on level 113 on both and cant seem to get past. Also im all for the suggestion of new classes in the future. Perhaps Shaman and Archer?

14. Touchmint

Oct 19, 2011
    Developer
    Phoenix
    Here is a general idea of what the compare stats will look like. When you look at an item in the shop, crafting area or your inventory it will show (+ or -) to the stats of the item you already have equipped. There just was not enough room to show both items without getting ugly. I still have to change the code for about half the stats and polish everything up as well. I am going to try to get color formatting in (green for better red for worse) but color formatting has always been a pain on objective-c I might checkout swift stuff to see if its any easier.

Anyways here is the preview.

[​IMG]

Some other potential stuff I am working on includes some extra battle sounds, an option to speed up battles a bit more, some new backgrounds for fights and maybe a new class & race.

15. Retro Nug

Retro Nug Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    The Netherworld
    Looks good to me. Can't wait for an update!

Btw...is Wisdom best for a Paladin to roll for? I mean between Int and Wis. I assume Wis/Str/End is a Paladins key stats.

16. Touchmint

Oct 19, 2011
    Developer
    Phoenix
    #136 Touchmint, Jan 29, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2015
    Actually paladins and druids use all their stats. Here is the breakdown:

Str for most damage skills
    Int for healing skills (and Retribution skill)
    Agi for dodge/hit chances
    End for hp
    Wis for sp / spell resist and minor healing skill effects
    Luck for a little of everything including minor effects on drop rates.

I like to get int as high as possible just because i love seeing those high healing numbers but yea all are pretty important.

17. Touchmint

Oct 19, 2011
    Developer
    Phoenix
    Sorry about the delay!

I believe that is the 3 wolfs (Wolf Monarch,Winter Wolf, Winter Wolf)?

Making utilization of certain potions is key. block, agi, luck or vamp can really help. I know jug of enduring is pretty costly but it helps a lot for those hard hitters.

Also keep in mind once apple ever accepts this update I boosted the bonus blessings as well as made slight nerfs to how good the frost arena creatures are so it should be a slightly easier experience.

18. Touchmint

Oct 19, 2011
    Developer
    Phoenix
    Hey guys just a heads up the update is in review with apple. I will give you guys a heads up when the update passes!

19. hyperthyme

hyperthyme Member

Jul 14, 2014
    #139 hyperthyme, Jan 30, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2015
    Touchmint, marvelous game! I do have a couple issues though:

1) Death Oozes BADLY need a subroutine that FORCES them to change, preferably before round 30. :mad: (Actually before round 5 would be lovely.) I am playing a human Paladin against them and I just can't overpower them with just Swing before I get Archangel and I run out of SP. And they just won't change. ;_;

20. Touchmint

Oct 19, 2011
    Developer
    Phoenix
    #140 Touchmint, Jan 31, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2015
    I'm exploring why this might be. They have a 40% chance to morph but I've still heard some people have trouble with them. During testing I never ran into this but I'll see if there are any bugs that would be stopping them from morphing if not I think I'll still raise them to 50%.

As for the bug it should be fixed in the current update but I will check it out again just to make sure.