Universal Adventure To Fate : A Quest To The Core JRPG - (by TouchMint)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, May 7, 2014.

1. irettillib

irettillib Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2013
    Keep going. I'm on the 7th floor now, and the difficulty is really ramping up. I keep just barely being able to scrape by, which is exactly how a well made turn-based rpg should be.

2. Touchmint

Touchmint Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Developer
    Phoenix
    When creating the first few levels I didn't want to make them too hard and I can see how it might be a little slow seeing you only have 1 attack, 1-2 skills and basic equipment.

As others have said it gets quite a bit harder where you have to use strategy not just for combat but for movement as well. :)

3. irettillib

irettillib Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2013
    Still playing. I'm really impressed, TouchMint. This is a very fun game, and each level manages to throw in something new. Despite being so simple, it never gets stale. The one aspect that I consider most important in a game is tight design, and this game has it. Nothing frivolous or obtuse; everything in place; clean and concise.

In the name of polish, the UI could use a little work.

Swipe controls would be a welcome addition.

An "organize" button for the inventory is a must (I hate a messy inventory and I don't seem to be able to rearrange anything). This goes for the item hot bar as well. I shouldn't have to unequip half of my items just to reorganize them.

The "Info/Buy/Sell" mechanic feels sloppy. It would feel much smoother if the info box had a built in "Buy" or "Sell" button. This brings us back to inventory management (there is a similar system). The info box should have built in "Use", "Equip/Unequip" buttons.

Also, if I have a weapon equipped, equipping a different weapon from my inventory should automatically swap it out. Having to unequip my current weapon before equipping a new one feels obtuse.

None of this really detracts from the fun of the game, but that extra degree of polish really makes the player feel like the designer is precise in his or her work, and has a keen eye for how a game should function. It makes the player respect the game as a whole on a higher level, and feel as though he or she is experiencing it /exactly/ how it should be experienced. It's humbling and rare to be incapable of poking holes in any aspect of a game, and this one comes close.

Good work.

P.s. - This post is the first time I've put the game down since I started playing, and I'm about to jump right back in. Thanks :).

4. Touchmint

Oct 19, 2011
    Developer
    Phoenix
    Im glad you like the game so far and im very excited you respect the game design so much. I put a lot of effort into balancing the game mechanics but you really never know until someone else is playing.

As for the UI thanks for some ideas I know UI I will def add the equipping weapon (and maybe other equipment) swap.

Also having the buy sell in the lookover popup is a good idea as well so thanks.

This is my first game so I really tried to do things from scratch instead of just doing what other games did on the systems. Looks like some things stuck and some things didnt but thats what updates are for haha!

Thanks again for the interest, comments, suggestions and playing!

5. paradsecar

paradsecar Well-Known Member

Jun 27, 2012
    I'm sure it says somewhere, but I read over the description and looked through the forum and I can't seem to find an explanation on how death is handled. Is it permadeath like a rogue-like?

6. Touchmint

Oct 19, 2011
    Developer
    Phoenix

There is no permadeath (unless you decide to be hardcore and delete your character if you die haha). You do however respawn at last town checkpoint and lose 1/4th exp and 1/4th gold.

7. Cobalt Plasma

Cobalt Plasma Active Member

Dec 11, 2011
    Freelance Illustrator & Designer
    Hawaii
    Bought it/DL'ed it this morning, I haven't had much time to play with my own crunch, but what I have gotten to play has just been really, really enjoyable :D It's one of those perfect little mobile RPGs, not crazy or overly complex, just right, perfect for 2-3min. here, 2-3min. there kind of playing., which fits into my schedule nicely.

Well done man, I'm looking forward to delving deeper into this heheh

8. njea1

njea1 New Member

May 9, 2014
    epic.

This game is epic. Always cool for a RPG styled 8-bit game to be iOS. This one especially. This one has a special touch to it that separates:) it from every other one. Amazing. Awesome job! Nothing to complain about.

9. panzeriti

panzeriti Active Member

Jul 31, 2010
    Digging the game so far with the rogue smackin down rats. Like his initial extra move buff too.

10. Rafy211

Rafy211 Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2013
    Unicorn Land
    I really love this game! Everything is perfect (well mostly perfect) After all this time, congratulations on this wonderful Old School RPG. You earned it :D

11. CooleTeeps

CooleTeeps Member

Aug 21, 2013
    This game is very fun but I have one question. Is it better to have a low Armor Rating or a high one? I got a rat skin armor that is worth a lot more than the starting armor (for the warrior), but the Armor Rating is lower.

12. Touchmint

Oct 19, 2011
    Developer
    Phoenix
    #72 Touchmint, May 9, 2014
    Last edited: May 9, 2014
    Thats really what I was shooting for something you could just pickup and play anytime.

Thanks means a lot coming from a great dev!

Thanks I tried to bring some of the best elements from my favorite games into this and by doing so it seemed to come out pretty unique!

Yea rogues are very fun (my fav class too)

Yea it was a long time coming there were for sure times I didn't think id ever see launch but I pulled it out somehow haha. Thanks!

13. Touchmint

Oct 19, 2011
    Developer
    Phoenix

Armor Rating or Armor Count lowers the damage you take from incoming physical attacks so the more you have the better.

The Giant Rat Pelt however is pretty good. Although it has lower armor it has +1 luck.

[​IMG]

I dont want to reveal too much but luck plays a minor yet important role in most of the game systems (hitting, dodging, magic resistance, and item drop rate just to name a few).

Hope this answers your question let me know if you have any others.

14. Pagan Fox

Pagan Fox Well-Known Member

Jul 20, 2012
    Have started a second character, Gnome Mage after getting my level 15 Human Druid to floor 10 yesterday.
    I've quickly learned this game is about SP management, knowing when to deploy those skills and developing a strategy to battle your way through a floor to meet the boss.
    After floor 5 this game really opens up and the mobs come thick and fast....and they hit hard. But, by then you have some nifty skills and buffs of your own, so knowing which ones to use and when becomes critical to progress.

Couple of questions for the dev, are buffs stackable? If I cast frozen shield on myself twice during a fight, will it increase my defence? Also, does the buff last the whole duration of that fight as there is no way of knowing?
    Second, Am I correct in saying that loot drops are random?
    And finally, are merchants or shops equipment static or does it ever change?
    Thanks.

15. Xerdoz

Xerdoz Member

Jan 28, 2014
    Hello there Ive only just begun testing this game but while I was reading in the library I found something I wanted to ask about, it sais: ">>>Damaging skills<<< These are direct physical attacks that damage the enemy. (Damage is based on wisdom and the chance to hit or dodge is based on agility)."
    So my question is: Is this a typo or is it really wis that is the base of physical skills damage? I can understand the role of agility being the base of hit/dodge but shouldn't str be the base of physical skills? If not what is based on str? Nice to know when rolling chars. I rolled my rogue with high str/agi as I thought it would be ideal, high dodge/hit and high damage on skills but now Im starting to wonder if I should try to roll high wis instead :)
    Ty for what seems to be a interesting game :)

16. Touchmint

Oct 19, 2011
    Developer
    Phoenix

First off thanks for the purchase and thanks for the kind comments!

Hopefully these answers help you out a bit! (I will try to work these into the library so they help other players as well).

Couple of questions for the dev, are buffs stackable? If I cast frozen shield on myself twice during a fight, will it increase my defence?
    No, in the sense you cannot cast the same buff on yourself twice(the game shouldnt allow you). You can however cast multiple differnt buffs on yourself. You can only cast 1 debuff on each enemy they are not stackable either

Also, does the buff last the whole duration of that fight as there is no way of knowing?
    Yes, all buffs/debuffs last the whole fight

Second, Am I correct in saying that loot drops are random?
    Yes, most drops are random however bosses sometimes have 100% drop chance and some keys are 100% drop chance as well.

And finally, are merchants or shops equipment static or does it ever change?
    Thanks.

Merchant are static the items on them never change. (I am thinking about adding in a +1 system that would effect damage and armor in that case yes I would make it random maybe say every floor passed you would get a new roll at equipment in the shop

Hope this helps you out. Please post here if you have any other questions or comments!

17. Touchmint

Oct 19, 2011
    Developer
    Phoenix

Nice catch there. Most physical skills are based on str however a few rogue and druid skills are based on agi, wis or even luck as well.

For example I believe assassinate damage formula is something like 1x str 2x weapon damage 2x agility .3wisdom and 5x luck (sound like a lot but keep in mind it takes 4 stam to use this skill).

18. CooleTeeps

CooleTeeps Member

Aug 21, 2013
    Thx! This game is really good so far. LOVE IT!!! But I have a suggestion for maybe a much later update: Maybe have different skin tones for the different races? Like pale white for elf, beard for dwarf, green for Orc, default for human, etc.

19. severe

severe New Member

May 9, 2014
    Universal Adventures to Fate

This is a very good game so far. I am playing an orc knight and the class seems very balanced. I am a big fan of classic turn-based RPGs, and this one gives me the opportunity to play one on my phone.

Many kudos to Touchmint!

20. Touchmint

Oct 19, 2011
    Developer
    Phoenix

Good call there they are pixelized so it wouldn't be too much work at all tbh. I will add it to the update list and see if I can get it done for the next update.