Universal Adventure Beaks (By GameResort LLC)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by killercow, Mar 19, 2014.

1. L.Lawliet

L.Lawliet Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Hell yes. Cute penguins! Downloading now.

Btw, 50 levels isn't too short right? Sounds like some of you guys beat it fairly quickly. I'm guessing the 150 side missions they refer to are just the tasks in levels?

2. PengFictionJules

PengFictionJules Well-Known Member

Nov 22, 2013
    Designer at GameResort
    Claremont, CA
    LOL hearing this has me a bit worried!
    We really didn't want the IAP to stop the game from being fun.

What I would buy:
    - The last 2 penguins, so you can have a whole team
    - The largest coin pack is guaranteed to get you at least 1 of every clothing item
    - Powerups can be super useful, especially the Power Beak for levels with large numbers of enemies
    - Continues! These can save your butt. When testing the game, there was a huge difference in my playthrough time if I was "allowed" to use these.

If you haven't needed continues or powerups yet, you just must be really great at the game!

3. PengFictionJules

Nov 22, 2013
    Designer at GameResort
    Claremont, CA
    It's great to hear that you are having fun with the game! Thank you for the kind words :)

Did the levels get difficult enough?

If possible, can you post a pic of your penguin team? Or I can PM you my email and we can post it :) I REALLY want to see people's penguins!

4. TheFrost

TheFrost Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2010
    I dont know what IAP to buy yet, but I will buy something. :)

I am the kind of player that dont mind to retry the whole level if I didn't get that cube I was after, also the game remembers what you picked before and the fun factor of this game helped a lot, and I had 8 penguins at some point. Never saw them. Honestly, where can I find the power ups of the revives?

Edit: Also, GameCenter would be a great addition to this awesome game.

5. PengFictionJules

Nov 22, 2013
    Designer at GameResort
    Claremont, CA
    The 50 levels have a bunch of side paths that need to be explored in order to progress, so you end up replaying them a few times. Also they get pretty difficult in the Jungle world.

If we are able to, the plan will be to add another world (Desert!) with another 25 levels with new enemies, obstacles, etc.

The missions are things like "stomp 7 enemies" or "collect 200 coins", which sometimes make you look at the level in a new way. The missions can also be "double speed" and "upside-down level", which are trippy (I love the double speed missions).

Thanks for trying our game! Hope ya like it!

6. someguyordude

someguyordude Member

Jan 16, 2014
    Programmer
    Claremont
    Hey Guys

Hey guys I'm the programmer for Adventure Beaks, glad everyone is enjoying/looking forward to the game!

Game Center isn't implemented at the moment because Apple doesn't allow an app to have more than 25 leaderboards total, which means we wouldn't be able to have per-level leaderboards (too many levels).

We would like to add more features to the game for people to be able to compete for high scores, if we can find a way to divide the 25 leaderboards up between the 50 levels and 16 challenges (hopefully leaving some leaderboards unused for possible future updates).

Achievements might be sweet too, right now the 3 stars per level were meant to feel like level specific achievements, but having some overall for the app would certainly be possible in future updates if we could think of some good ones.

It was a lot of work just getting this game out the door and we weren't able to do everything we wanted (you never really are when working on a game), but if it turns out to be successful we have tons of ideas for things we would like to add in the future!

7. PengFictionJules

Nov 22, 2013
    Designer at GameResort
    Claremont, CA
    The powerup and continue purchase option only comes up when you're out of them. Since it gives you some occasionally, you'd have to use them up if you wanted to get more.

Does it not show the powerup menu at the start of the levels, or the continue screen after you run out of penguins? Are the last 2 penguins locked still, or do you have all 10?

I think this is likely for a future update, we just want to do it right :)

8. Qwertz555

Qwertz555 Well-Known Member

May 22, 2010
    Thanks for the info.
    I may do an exception...if i like the game. Still two hours to go.

9. TheFrost

Nov 18, 2010
    Ah that makes sense that's why I never seen revives, never run out of penguins since I restart the level before that. ´

And for the second one, I had to check it out and I dont see them now and never seen them before... They really are powerups before each level? I truly never seen that, I tap on the level on the map, the magnifying glass comes in, tells me what I collected so far and tap it again and the level starts... nothing else.

Before I had 8 but now I have 6 only, two more to get eight, that seems to be my IAP, I think is the more useful of all and its permanent. :)

Awesome! I saw the post by your pal and I think a leaderboard for the total cubes collected would be a great way to start :)

10. TheFrost

Nov 18, 2010
    I just been reminded that there is a permanent upgrade that adds the last two penguins to the team making at total of 10 penguins for finishing a level... cant remember the price but was around 4$...

11. L.Lawliet

L.Lawliet Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Okay, best release this week. This game is fun. I hope I don't burn through it too quick.

Only recommendation I can give is to polish the UI. It seems a little bare or basic. It definitely does get the job done but I'd like a bit more polish from a designer standpoint. It sounds odd but presentation has a lot to do with the perception of a game. A bug I also noticed is often tapping my penguin to customize it would do nothing. Only way to be sure it goes to customization is to double tap.

Anyhow, I'm loving this and it feels like a premium game so far. I love naming and creating my penguin team. I'll post when I get more items as I only have like 4 different things atm. I'm gonna enjoy this.

12. PengFictionJules

Nov 22, 2013
    Designer at GameResort
    Claremont, CA
    #32 PengFictionJules, Mar 19, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2014
    One last question (sorry), did you uninstall the beta before installing the release version (I know we never said that needed to happen)? The powerups and continues were added after that beta build, so you'd have to go back to levels 5-13 and collect any remaining chests in those levels (the powerups / continues are on the main path).

What level are you on currently? (I know you said you'd completed it, but if you uninstalled or had to restart that would be helpful to know).

Edit: to be clear, it's the save file generated by the beta that may be the issue.

Thanks for helping with this!

Yes! I wonder how many people will get 50 complete artifacts, or even get close to doing all the missions. That would be a real badge of honor LOL

13. PengFictionJules

Nov 22, 2013
    Designer at GameResort
    Claremont, CA
    Thanks! Yes, post the penguins! LOL

Also there is a feature in the dressing room that lets you take a classy, framed photo of your favorite penguin and then email, FB, etc.

If any of your FB friends are playing the game also, you can link up with them and you'll be able to see their progress and penguins.

14. TheFrost

Nov 18, 2010
    I am glad to help, if there is anything I can do, dont hesitate to ask (all of you).

I played it two months ago I believe, played though it and uninstalled waiting for the official release to play again, and since I didn't heard anything else I forgot it. I downloaded version 1.0 yesterday after watching the TA video and I reached level 14 so far (cant move until I collected all the cubes). So is a fresh install after a long time since the beta. Many restores and OS upgrades since then. I just dont see any powerup at all. For anyone else who played it, have you seen them? Or its only me?

Awesome! :) I am going for that badge of honor.

15. PengFictionJules

Nov 22, 2013
    Designer at GameResort
    Claremont, CA
    Hmm, quite a mystery. If you uninstalled the beta and installed fresh from the store and have also played through level 14, there should have been treasure chests that contained all 3 powerups, a continue, and the "stone of kamcord" that allows you to record and post gameplay videos. If you didn't get those in the treasure chests and the powerup options don't come up at the beginning of the level (when all the penguins are standing still and the screen says "PLAY"), then something's gone wrong! I'll see if I can repro it here...

16. TheFrost

Nov 18, 2010
    I have the kamcord stone, I collected it on level 5 I think, but continue or power-ups remain to be seen, only gems or hats/skins so far on the boxes. And on that screen there are no powerups... Its indeed a mystery.

17. darnoc703

darnoc703 Well-Known Member

Mar 24, 2013
    Possibly something like Jet Car Stunts 2 did for leaderboards? Don't own the game yet, but getting it tonight

18. TheFrost

Nov 18, 2010
    #38 TheFrost, Mar 19, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2014
    @PengFictionJules I am deleting the game and will reinstall the version that will pop up on the AppStore in 10 minutes to see if something changes.

Edit: Its already there, so... done!

19. PengFictionJules

Nov 22, 2013
    Designer at GameResort
    Claremont, CA
    Cool! We were unable to reproduce it here, so we're going to wait for it to go live on the app store and then try with that version. Thank you and keep us posted plz :)

20. Sanuku

Sanuku Well-Known Member

So far probably the best release this Week and to those that believe that it does look similar to Project 83113.

Some of the Core Gameplay Mechanics are indeed similar but you could say the same about any Game that is a Runner from Left to Right that did got released in the last twenty years.

Adventure Beaks has still enough unique content to top Project 83113 easily and one of the most friendly Freemium Parts I have seen this year.